What's next for Elektron?

Hope not, it would be cool but I’m getting a bit bored of granular, it all sounds the same

5 Likes

The time is right to bring out a cheap , more practical and better instrument.

1 Like

How did you get to post under news if you aren’t an elektron employee?

1 Like

I got a grand in my pocket. Who’s selling?

I actually checked that- and apparently its an available sub-group to post in(haven’t tried it, though) :smiley:
Great minds

1 Like

no I’m not but just a hunch that is what they looking at ------the fatal flaw with the Quantum and Prophet X is the USD$4K price bracket but there is an absolute frenzy for those two machines-------Elektron could do similar for < $2k no problem and own that market

2 Likes

Elektron are kings of a different world than those companies, though- that’s quite a moat to cross to claim that throne

1 Like

I thought exactly the same, I thought it was an official announcement and was braced for people to go nuts about OB

1 Like

Elektron will come out with a granular sampler —they will have noticed all the fanfare with Quantum/Prophet X
My prediction it will be Analag Keys sized and their next product

I got a logical whiplash taking in all of those details :smiley:

Please don’t, as we will only move it to a more appropriate sub forum.

3 Likes

I would never risk such sacrilege

1 Like

Well seems reasonable – we’ve gotten the report, said to have slipped from Cenk himself that an Elektron keyboard synth is under development. and it’s perfectly reasonable to suppose it’s digital, unless it’s a redo of the Analog Keys, which seems less likely imo. So something with functionality in the universe of a granular synth seems reasonable. Perhaps you are clairvoyant d2ba?

An Analog 8 with 5 octave keyboard and lots of knobs.

Digitone Keys it is, then.

1 Like

Elektron Octatrack to CV - A Digital Eurorack Module

The idea is very simple. The module receives the MIDI data from a OT. The data of the cc‘s are translated into control voltage signals, allowing to control 12 different destinations, plus a dedicated pitch, gate and velocity per track! The missing link between your OT and your modular systems! Of course modules for MIDI/CV exist already, but the all have only a few outputs mostly a pitch, gate, mod Wheel and sometimes one or two predefined cc‘s. Some of them have a lot of outputs but those are hardwired to keyboard notes.
None of them worthy enough to harvest the full power of the OT sequencer.

One MIDI Track on the OT has 12 different CCs. Ten of those can be defined by the user.

I Image something like this:

Inputs:

• MIDI

Outputs:

• Clock
  • Start gate/for synchronisation
  • Stop
  • Gate
  • Pitch
  • Velocity
  • 12 x CV
  • a flat MIDI through cable on the backside for daisy chaining of multiple

Interface

• A knob to set the MIDI channel

• If the MIDI cc‘s are predefined by the modul, a screen wouldn’t be necessary. Otherwise a screen is needed for setting the cc numbers.

• The Knob to select one of the 16 MIDI channels could also be used to save configurations. Therefore one or two buttons are needed to save and load settings, change save banks etc.

• The best case would be a small screen, a encoder, and two buttons. Would be handy to use a encoder for naming savefiles from settings, choose the Midi channel, select the CV and it’s cc number. Switching from monophonic through the for polyphonic modes.

One module equals one MIDI track of the OT.
The benefits of such a modul would be immense:

• Octatrack sequencer for Eurorack! Allowing to control 12 different parameters on your Rack plus a dedicated pitch, gate and velocity output via OT, DAW or MIDI controller.
  • Multiple LFOs
  • Arpeggios from OT
  • long performance with complex controls are possible, thanks to the OT’s song mode.
  • Jams can be recorded one the OT in Live-rec mode.
  • The 12 CCs could be used can as clock source with different subdivision.
  • Feed the audio from your modular system into the OT. Use a trough machine and to apply effects and scenes. If that’s not enough use a neighbor machine and add even more effects and compression. Use the other channels for percussion or whatever is needed. In my eyes this would be the ultimate groovebox! Imagine your custom modular with one of the best sequencers available. It might be not the most portable groovebox, but it would be the one with the most potential.
  • a optional idea: A mode allows the CV outputs to be used for the pitchcontroll from the four different voices of a OT MIDI. The software would read aut. the notes instead of the accordant MIDI cc. The modul allocates the voices in a way, that always the newest note overwrites the variable of the oldest note. This would allow polyphonic for up to for notes, like some of the competitors who sell MIDI to CV Interfaces (like the Vermona Quad interface, MI - Yarns, 1010Music - toolbox…)

Consider this: A sequencer for modular systems cost usually a few hundred euros. How many parameter can be controlled? Most have just 8-32 steps, allow only 2-4 parameters others up to 8 but they cost >700€. Those sequencer are not even close to the perfection of a OT. Even the extreme expensive eurorack sequencer don’t have the depth of a OT.
For example: „SEQUENTIX CIRKLON“ cost min. 1850€. Has 16 cvs and 8 gate outs. If a Elektron Modul would cost about 250€, You could get a 2-3 Modules and a Octatrack MK2 for the price of a Cirklon sequencer with CV addon. And the OT is a awesome sampler, and you would get much more features and CV, outputs.

Additional thoughts:

• It would be relatively easy to create a secondar function that sends out LFO signals. To compete with Pamela‘s NEW workout;)

• It would be even more interesting if such a modul had a function to record the incoming data. Or even better two recording with different parameter. Add a slider to the modul and blend between the two recordings of MIDI data. Basically like scenes on the OT. You could record a pattern two times with different notes and/or gates. Then you could blend between two notes and rhythms. Allowing smooth transmissions between melodies, gate signals/rhythm or any of the 12 CC/CV‘s!

2 Likes

:clap:

5 Likes

I wound rather like to see a complete new OT in a few years. Maybe with polyphonic sample playback, more available fx slots per track, USB3 for Overbridge, more Outputs, and a form of MIDI scenes, with somekind of manager for the outgoing MIDI signals.
Until then, you can still use the cue outs with the main outputs, to send them to a mixer and record multiple tracks. This allows only 4 OT tracks but you can merge multiple tracks to one output signal. I use my cheap Roland MX1 mixer for such multitrack recordings, and it works pretty well. Or you record track after track into your DAW, which is much more time consuming.

Probably already been mentioned, but I would not be surprised to see Elektron do a big box (individual outs, more voices, proper songmode, etc) FM synth.

1 Like

Considering that Elektron has been lately talking a lot about analog synthesis in their social media it just might be Analog Keys II. I wouldn’t be suprised if they did eventually release some kind of Digikeys to reuse the chassis.

2 Likes