What's next for Elektron?

I’d like to see a battery pack which fits neatly onto the existing lineup, with charge status indicator.

Then I’d like the next round of machines to have battery either built in or as an internal option, then people that don’t want it don’t have to pay for it, but sofa jamming nomads can rock out without their power out-let.

7 Likes

Grooveboxes and portability go together like Macaroni and Cheese

+1

4 Likes

You are probably one of those FM fetishist, my mom warned me about people like you… :wink: Seriously FM rules, but this world lacks of modern wavetable hardware synths. FM people get those Yamaha montages, DX’s and now the DTO…

2 Likes

With bacon.

1 Like

Blofeld is pretty darn cool- or you oughta try to find an old Monomachine MKII+

I came here to talk gear- now I’m hungry…

2 Likes

Yes i got a Blofeld desktop and a Virus. Probably gonna save money to buy a Quantum. But if elektron builds a modern Monomachine I would probably buy one!
Have some chees and macorni, a beer and a groovebox as dessert!

1 Like

Hopefully it will have FM

Honestly, though. Wavetable synthesis reminds me of the pre-work hassle of sampling interfering with what’s normally the immediate nature of synthesis.

It can be if you build your own wavetables which, incidentally, I enjoy doing. In fact, I’ve been working on a set of PPG-based sounds for the Digitakt for some time, but put it on the back burner until Elektron provides some means of getting the sounds off of my machine. Many of these sounds are based on custom wavetables I made on a PPG Waveterm B (8" floppies!) for my PPG Wave 2.2. For many of the waves, I recreated actual acoustic or electric instruments using the Waveterm’s built-in additive waveform creation tools. The Waveterm B lacks re-synthesis functions, so I had to painstakingly analyze each wave to figure out the amplitude of each partial, and then recreate the waveforms by manually entering the values for each partial. Talk about a lack of immediacy! It was a lot of work, but also quite educational.

8 Likes

Yes, it needs more time and like FM it’s not as predictable as let’s say subtractive. Like scot_solida, i kind of like it. Keep in mind that a wavetable doesn’t have to be always super complex. A simple one could be a square wave morphing into a saw. Sometimes I don’t even animate them, just search for the perfect position and maybe add it to second waveform. Of course for drone/pad like it can be superb when traveling slowly through a nice wavetable…

I just would like to have a modern wavetable synth and i know that the elektron team has some brilliant minds, capable of building such a thing. It would make sense since elektron already got Analog synth/drum synth, performance sampler, Sequenzer, and now FM. Of course they have the monomachine but you can’t buy a new one in a store. To be honest, I have enough different subtractive synths already, and the Blofeld and Virus are both good, but they lack in some ares. I would be happy if a Blofeld 2 or a Virus ti3 would be announced. But i gave up the hope.

The quantum looks pretty awesome, but i would love the option to get a desktop version of it. I guess it will have some simple FM possibilities (like the Blofeld). But the quantum can deliver a wide spectrum of different sounds, even without any FM. Will be interesting to see if Yamaha reacts to the Digitone, and delivers something like a desktop version of the Montage(maybe just the FM-X engine of it), that I would love to see!

But enough talk. I have to make music now, something i often forget, while being here on this forum :slight_smile: . Have a nice day.

I’m seeing all these videos of the Digitakt & Digitone setup with an Arturia key step MIDI keyboard and it made think that Elektron should just come out with it it’s own MIDI keyboard.

1 Like

I like that idea!
Maybe that could be the “standalone sequencer” people seem to want.
I’m thinking a keyboard with multiple sequencer rows with a boosted version of OT midi tracks including midi scenes using a joystick.

At first I didn’t like it- but then I realize there are no really intuitive sequencer keyboards.

P-lock pitch and mod or assign CC values to the joystick.

Good idea! It’s a shame they probably won’t do it- as they’ve never made a purely midi device despite being top of the line of midi technology

Since all of Elektron machines have sequencers it does seem unlikely but at the same time it would be really nice to have a sequencer box ala cirklon while keeping it around AH price + a few CV channels it would compliment many setups.

2 Likes

Alright FM is done, what’s next? A granular synth! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got two Keystep‘s. Really miss a small LCD for the sequencer (otherwise you never know which step you are, if you don’t count and for BPM) and a few freely assignable knobs. It‘s possible that Arturia going to make a MK2 version, since the Keystep is a real success! But the Keystep is perfect to lay in bed with a small synth, doing some long drone sounds after a hard party :wink:

Me too, man…me too.

Came for the sequencer, stayed for the sampling, ordered a digitone- Elektron are brilliant and wily

Something like this maybe.
Elektron Sequencer

12 Likes

Something kinda like this. I think it needs more experimentation.

22 Likes