What's next for Elektron?

What if Digitone was just a different firmware for Digitakt like Oto Machines did Der OTO for Biscuit…

4 Likes

Well-that would certainly be really cool. Though highly unlikely, but really cool all the same

3 Likes

DTO?

:slight_smile:

I think that would annoy me. If it’s the exact same hardware why not add a bit more firmware storage and include both in one package. Hold down a button on startup to choose DigiTakt or DigiTone. Having the exact same hardware but different firmware seems like something a large corporation would do to squeeze every last nickle from our pockets.

Now, I would think that a base hardware, with interchangeable daughter boards, would be a really cool idea. Or they wouldn’t even have to be interchangeable. DigiX as a hardware platform that could be easily extended. If they engineered it to easily swap out components they could easily release many different boxes while lowering R&D and time to market.

It’s actually what I meant (and how Biscuit / DER OTO works), a startup key combinations.

1 Like

So no new box at NAMM, just a software update to Digitakt that allows for choosing DigiTone on power on?

lets go crazy with blind non evidence speculation…
perhaps theyve given up on digitakt as they cant get the firmware to work , so theyve developed digitone , back to V1.0

a 1 bit monophonic single osc tone generator. , less cpu needed ,
you can get a refund if you send in all the buttons and knobs that are no longer needed. (50p per item).
its so low power it can run on strawberries if you mash them into the audio input (which is renamed Fruit input).
its open source so you are able to alter the text name when it boots up.

i’m bored … back to the normal stuff… all the above is made up… or is it ?

it is.

or is it ?
digitakt is the most used music box in my flat…

3 Likes

Well, this is what this thread is all about, blind non evidence speculation. I was just imagining (hence ‘What if’) a different announcement that the usual “a new box to buy”.
Of course, I agree this is highly unlikely but it could be cool to use the same hardware with a different firmware as if there is a new digitakt-form box, it will probably be digital and with the same I/O.

1 Like

Perhaps they can be inspired by Nintendo and release a cardboard spaceship powered by digitakt , or a cardboard usb drain plunger for sidechain compression.

Something to surprise people , draw in more of the plumbing and spaceman crowd.

Did I mention I’m a creative genius ?

2 Likes

That would be killer ! Small octatrack with internal synth engine, so comfortable.

:trophy:

Spot on

2 Likes

well well well, what’s this then?

snap!

It’s basically an article outlining the speculation that is going on. The image they use doesn’t even match what they are saying. They say in the article “its definitely a digitakt size box” but they use an image of a mock up that’s a full size elektron box.

Edit: made what I was saying clearer

2 Likes

That photo doesn’t look like something Elektron would release.
They have way more design savy.
Those buttons on the right? No no no
The jacks on the back? What are we going back in time with a future color scheme?

Pretty sure someone on this forum made that pic. Seen it awhile ago!

4 Likes

its definitely a digitakt size box

What? Where was this announcement?

Gearnews.de only copied the speculations from the „elektron at namm“ thread. The picture is a mock up from a fellow elektronaut.

As far i know, there are only speculations based on wishes, Cenk comments(and posts he liked) and the fact that they saved the name „Digitone“ (that doesn’t mean anything, concerns usually change the name of projects/the End product several times. It’s possible that the Digitakt was planed to be named digitone.

It’s clickbait and online journalism, only to generate more user-views…

Will electron announce a digital synth this NAMM? Nobody knows, i personally believe they will, but if they don’t? This year the made three MKII models, Digitakt, Heat(was it this year?) and the work still on Overbridge and the DT bugs! They not like apple, elektron is a relatively small company. Synthesizer are a niche thing…

1 Like

Thats exactly what I was saying, I was referring to the speculation in the article. I’ll edit the post to clear that up. But no need to come down on me about it

@Phaelam is popular now :slight_smile:

4 Likes