What's next for Elektron?

Yeah- I’m not an FM pro, so I probably don’t need more than 4 tbh(I’m just a maximalist, I suppose)

1 Like

Dear Elektronauts, dear Elektron development team,

I would like to share the idea [creative commons] for a new Elektron synth. It’s just a brief outline; feel free to add your own thoughts and wishes! :slight_smile:

– easy-to-use wavetable poly-synth module (maybe with additional FM options like the SY-22), combined with the fabulous Elektron sequencer;
– as a complement to the Digitakt (same size, similar layout) and all the other Elektron boxes: for pads, athmospheric sounds etc.;
– might take its inspiration from digital classics such as Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha SY-22/35, Korg Wavestation, Roland D-50 and JD-800, PPG Wave, Waldorf Wave, Microwave and Blofeld (but also from VSTs such as Wave’s Codex or Tone2’s Icarus);
– might also take its inspiration from the amazing Monomachine (R.I.P.);

Since there is already enough enough VAs out there, and there isn’t really a digital synth like that in the prize-range between 650–800€ (currently there’s only the Blofeld and the Micromonsta), Elektron could totally rock the party. Also, it would clearly build upon the company’s proud digital tradition (SID, Monomachine).

Basic Specifications:

HARDWARE:
– white/grey box with a deep blue screen
– 2-dimensional vector joystick (for synth mode (1) and (2); see below – stick movement recordable [there’s probably not enough space on the front panel though; so alternatively the cursor keys might be used in a “performance mode” instead])

SOUND ENGINE:
– 16 voices (let’s be realistic)
– 3 switchable modes: (1) 8 individual duo-phonic tracks; (2) 4 individual four-note tracks; (3) one 4-layer-poly-mode (somewhat like the JD-800)

– 5 synth pages per track (same layout like the Digitakt):
(1) MACHINE: wavetables (up to two oscillators per track; incl. several types of noise; option to load user-generated waves via USB, transient manipulation); with A-D-type pitch envelope (switchable polarity);
(2) FILTER: several types, with full envelope;
(3) AMP: with full envelope, glide, pan, drive etc.;
(4) FX: chorus, (granular) delay, (aetheral) reverb, flanger, bit and sample rate reduction;
(5) LFO: 2 asignable LFOs (wave, mode – e.g. S+H –, speed, multiplier; BPM sync-able or free running)

– Elektron sequencer (individual time-division per track for longer sequences)
– 8 additional midi tracks (like on the Digitakt)
– Arpeggiator (maybe taken from the Monomachine)!
– one additional stereo-OUTput (asignable to one individual track)
– also: get Biosphere to do some of the presets!

That’s about it. Tell me what you think!

4 Likes

not really interested in a frequency modulation synth at all.

would very much like to play an Elektron version/interpretation of the Juno 106 with the p-lock Elektron sequencing and so forth, with onboard octaver and dual tube preamp.

also maybe a completely reimagined song arranging instrument could be fun, not sure how or why.

you mean, me? :slight_smile:
or is there actually a biosphere person doing presets too?

1 Like

quite well known … in some circles ! :wink:

5 Likes

I hope they make a new digi synth to replace the mnm. love the dt form factor (2 rows of 8 trigs) but I really hope they keep the depth of their older boxes. lots of lfos, destinations, arp, rtim etc.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Elektron’s take on the asr 10… 31 voice digital sampling synth. Perhaps a few different engines like on say an op1. An analog keys type version, and a digitakt format version…

1 Like

I interviewed Geir once. The minidisc turned out blank…

2 Likes

Always had a soft spot for Ensoniq.

In particular ESQ-1, 12-bit OSC sync on that synth was amazing! So ahead of its time. Shame it’s so massive (and the rack version removes too many buttons). If I had the space I’d own one!

ASR-10 was also an amazing/deep synth/sampler.

Would love to see a modern take on that type of synthesis…

3 Likes

Haha that last line got me :joy:

Agreed. Miss my ESQ-1 more than most synths I’ve sold. But just too damn big.

I’d like to see Elektron’s take on either a full-blown synth/sampler that captures that old school Ensoniq vibe, or has alternate modes that can capture that old school vibe, or an fx unit in the style/size of Heat that gives other instruments that old school vibe. Crunchy, lo-fi, crispy, magical. Or just some additional fx for Rytm and Digitakt in that manner.

2 Likes

I feel Elektron can make this a reality. Imagine a 4-track 32-voice Virtual Analog Synthesizer with built-in effects and an incredible sequencer all within the dimensions of the A4 MkI, or a possible 49 Keyboard version too. Elektron Virtual Analog 32 / VA32. I would really love to see this come to life.

2 Likes

I just wish they’d make an analog monosynth with a a digitakt type sequencer.

If this was a wish list I’d wish they’d team up with Future Retro and make an XS into an integrated sequencer with digital routing/modulation and a the same FX (at least) that the digitakt has.

DT mini with polyphonic sample playback that runs on AA batteries and spits out sysex dumps the other machines are able to import.

3 Likes

Definitely a poly sampler with decent synthesis/fx!!

Personally, I kind of hope the next thing is not a product. I would love if Elektron, or anyone really, would side step the MIDI Association and develop a MIDI-replacement protocol. Or maybe put pressure on the MIDI Association to get MIDI HD going. They did do the Turbo thing with MIDI and the TM-1. I love the Elektron gear, but it always falls apart when I try to use it with other systems/gear.

And hey, if that comes in some kind of wacky scene-based performance physical modelling synth, cool.

1 Like

“Analog Dubb”
Like the Analog Heat, but with analogue delay and chorus/phaser/flanger effects and EQ. Maybe also in pedal format, like the Analog Drive.

“MeloDigi”
A synth/sequencer in a box the size of a Digitakt, but based on physical modeling synthesis so that it can be used equally for percussion sounds and synth sounds. A bit like a Nord Drum with an Elektron sequencer, but as potentially wild as the old Monomachine.

11 Likes

MeloDigi would be instabuy for me!

3 Likes

Id say next year for their 20th anniversary they might release some sort of modern replacements for the MD n MnM, in some form or another.
Id be well into that, They’re both still probably my favourite Elektron machines.

4 Likes