What's next for Elektron?

Hey there Elektron, just in case you may read this. I know you probably know, but just a friendly reminder that a lot of us like ridiculously complex and open ended machines and are well up to the challenge of putting time and effort into learning how they operate to be able to accomplish a broad range of very in depth and detail oriented results… There’s definitely a niche for the super complex, and I sure hope you stay in there… :monkey_face:

8 Likes

You know how, in classes the last day before starting a new section it would always be an easy review day before hyping things up?

WatchOut!

This is the Elektron chapter review

1 Like

They need to move the things people already love to the front of the house to make room in the back of the house for things people will come to love

After slowly reaquainting myself with OT recently I really hope that Elektron make some big ‘fundamental’ advances on their next big boxes. Things like extending the max pattern length to at least 128 steps (I know there are workarounds but Ugh…), finally introducing polyphonic sample tracks, some interesting new insert fx (and stuff like tape sim, amp sim etc), real polyphonic midi sequencing, sequencer recording Note-Off, etc…

Seems in many ways they’re kind of stuck in their ways in a few areas. Not a bad thing, it works perfectly for a lot of stuff, but it’s not just electronic/dance musicians using their gear and more thought toward things like mentioned above would be next level… Hoping they really push their own boundaries on the next boxes.

8 Likes

Wave Four.
User uploadable wavetables + lots of stock ones to begin with.
Better FX, granular and maybe something else.
Give me something like this in the A4 package that can communicate with A4/other elektrons nicely and I’m in.

Ain’t the Digitakt pretty much a Wave8?

2 Likes

lego piezo and interactive infrared zones auto quantized to sixteenths

animatronic style robots… primo set of 20 working interactive sound making robots

like a futuristic version of the Koma field kit.

As far as I am aware DT is a sampler.
Wavetable (synthesis) not waveforms (sample).

Isn’t using single cycle waveforms the same thing as a wavetable? My Evolver has “wavetable synthesis” and loading custom waves = loading a single cycle waveform as far as my experience has been.

Sorry for my ignorance if there’s a bigger difference that I’m unaware of :wink:

2 Likes

You got me there I think. At least to some degree :slight_smile: I was not aware of this…

PORTABLE! <- was too short to be accepted as a reply :wink:

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Any DSI Evolver love?

I think it’s not length, but the ALL CAPS that caused it to not be eligible for submission.

I suppose trying to prevent YouTube comment section behavior from entering Elektronauts

1 Like

I’m no expert, but I believe that wavetables scan through the sample very rapidly, at a speed and granularity that can be modulated. Perhaps similar to having a tiny chunk of synth (longer than a single cycle) recorded, having a loop within that, and an LFO (or keytracking or mod or whatever) changing the loop points. While the clever technology ensures that it remains correctly pitched overall, so the effect is more change of timbre than note.

So using single cycles isn’t exactly the same, but could be similar if you got a snazzy setup going with LFOs modulating the loop start points. I imagine you’d have chaotic tuning then, which is where the specific cleverness of wavetable synths comes in.

Someone may want to correct me, this is just what I’ve gathered from using the Blofeld.

1 Like

A wavetable is scanned at the frequency of the fundamental pitch. That is what makes sure the pitch is correct. No clever technology needed. Wavetable synthesis and granular synthesis have nothing to do with each other. Wavetables change timbres by sweeping across the X axis while the Y axis is scanned at the fundamental frequency. That’s why they are often displayed in a 3 dimensional way.

3 Likes

Well, I am now less ignorant indeed!

Bring in a proper Wave8 (why limit digital voice to 4?!) with proper polyphony, stereo fx and a tad of elektron madness on top of it :heat:

2 Likes

A mini trinity would nice. Digitakt, digital synth, and digital drums. To maintain a distinction from the old trinity, FM, PD, modal and other unique synthesis methods could be emphasised. It’s ok to dream a little right? :wink:

1 Like

I would be VERY surprised if the next box wasn’t a digital 4-voice synth in the AH/DT form factor…

Of course, Elektron can be pretty surprising.

5 Likes

Yes, it just makes totally sense. Mini Machinedrum and Monomachine in Digitakt form factor. These machines are digital only, so they already have the hardware platform for it.

Next - bug fixing digitakt ( no QA dept mentioned in the manual)
Updating rytm firmware for overbridge
Finishing overbridge
Bug fixing overbridge.

Maybe new hardware. I’m in no hurry to buy new hardware

1 Like