What's next for Elektron?

Function+audio rec to open record setup followed by function+play will clear recording… :okej:
Not disagreeing that the workflow can be improved though… :smiley:

1 Like

Whoa! That’s much better. Performatively a designated button or a single function combo would be ideal, but oh well.
Thanks!
On topic, whatever is next, I’m interested to see something more full featured in the sampling department, but I’m stoked for all of the new Digitakt owners.
Sky’s the limit, a cool machine I’m sure. I hope it’s an addition to the full featured line. :diddly: :heat: :loopy: :elan::elmd::elmm::elot: :microscope::telescope::pager::vhs::satellite::musical_keyboard:

1 Like

I was just thinking how the Analog Drive came out quite soon after the Analog Heat dropped, sort of like a foot pedal cousin version. I wonder if they bring out a loop (sampler) pedal next… ?

1 Like

What do the last two main products have in common?

Their initial sound source is external.

If this trend continues, Elektrons next product might be the much sought after performance mixer

3 Likes

The performance mixer is the biggest hole in the market right now… the MX-1 is a nice start but it could use major competition, and elektron with a p locking mixer and master clock would be perfect.

2 Likes

Totally! And midi control!

along with simple audio loopers(like all it does is record and play back for the audio) and a couple sends to use with external effects(perhaps the Heat and DT) and maybe slightly improved effects seen on the OT? Maybe 8 in/2 out but OB available

This is perhaps far-fetched, but what’s this thread for if not spinning ideas out of thin air…

I was playing my bass guitar the other night and thought, it would be great to have an Elektron box that was kind of like the Heat (a couple of flavors of overdrive), with a multimode analog filter, possibly some other functions (envelope follower, digital effects?), with Elektron’s sequencer and 16 buttons to program parameter locks.

It wouldn’t create any of its own sounds, but you could build p-lock sequences to effect the audio you were playing through it (say a mono synth or bass guitar).

Of course it could be synced by MIDI to the tempo of a track, but the interesting thought was this: could they build a device that instead of running at a set MIDI tempo followed the tempo of the live playing to control the sequencer? If you could have two modes – in one it’d set a tempo at a chosen time signature by trying to extract that tempo from the playing, and run the sequencer as we normally expect. In the alternative mode, the sequencer would advance with each note you played, regardless of any sense of “tempo” (so if you played two whole notes the sequence would move two steps, then if you played 8 16th notes, the sequence would move forward another 8 steps).

It’d have a threshold control like the envelope follower on the Heat for controlling the sensitivity of this detector. And also a side chain input so you could pick up the tempo from a kick drum, say, while affected the audio from a monosynth or bass guitar.

1 Like

I like this idea of the sequencer advancing following external notes played, e.g. syncing to a live drummer.

There’s already a device for Ableton that does this well enough to sell as a commercial product, so it’s possible - I think that bringing this tech to a hardware unit could start a bit of a mini revolution when paired with effect p-locks. Lots of room for happy accidents when improvising too.

Beatseeker: https://www.ableton.com/en/packs/beatseeker/

1 Like

AK layout but an 8 track, 20+ voice sampler/digital synth hybrid. Minikeys acceptable :wink: 8 separate physical outputs. Ton of storage. Timestrech. Poly. Layers. Multisampling options. Lots of insert fx and digital filter options. Quirky sequencer options like OP1 + ‘complete’ Elektron sequencer. Bells and whistles…

4 Likes

Now THATS what I need. A digital/sampling hybrid with Elektron depth. Solo sampling by itself is tedious for me. It’s too based on picking things out from a list. Hate it hate it hate it, but I love it’s potential

2 Likes

Dreaming much? Ha :slight_smile:
go for a waldorf quantum

I don’t know why Elektron can’t make a poly machine(though, honestly, they haven’t made a digital synth since the MnM) analog they did VERY well with implementing it. If they return to a digital machine I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to combine the ensemble method for the MnM with live recording it on the A4/AK. That would be a dream(especially if they could throw in sampling- for the same reasons listed above)

1 Like

Isn’t the mono enough though ? 6 tracks and 6 poly with every synth method under the sun.
always a special synth for the ages :slight_smile:

Do you never have GAS @Orwell? “Enough” is either a mythical concept or a curse word on an Electronic Music Gear forum :smiley:

1 Like

Ha, not now, very little GAS. Especially after ive used almost every synth there is. The mono competes big time, with the big boys - its like a buchla, in many ways.

I’m thinking that given the digitakt is a “drum computer” that we might and I hope get another sampler soon that is sort of a companion piece to the DT that manages longer samples and melodies better than the DT does.

Maybe a looper/sampler/sequencer combo. A mini OT I guess, which I know will probably upset a lot of people looking for a bigger and better OT2.

But sometimes less is more. I’m really excited about the DT but I think it needs a companion to properly shine

I think realistically though it’s going to be some sort of mixer/fx box they put out next

I hope that if they do go this way that they also make a big box that combines both + more inside. I’d way rather have all my sampling inside one box/one project/one pattern.

For people sequencing program/pattern changes I guess it’s not a big deal but I prefer to be kind of loose with patterns on different pieces of gear and I only have one pair of hands/struggle to keep track of too many patterns to switch etc. Already struggle with only AK + OT to think about :wink:

I love those two pieces of gear tho because of how much is crammed in. Nowhere near as excited about the idea of a bunch of separate focused boxes. I know that appeals to a lot of other nauts tho :wink: Hopefully Elektron continue to cater to both crowds…

an updated MnM with overbridge, trig conditions n better fx would be amazin.

6 Likes

so the digital Is mainly ‘highly playable’.

–> I can imagine a simple digital synth with focus on ‘non programming’ but ‘playability’ can be nice.

also, the new boxes don’t create sound… but process it, as a sampler or an fx box

–> I can imagine a stereo sampler/ looper/ fx box might cool…

To make an actual guess - my bet would be a DT/AH form factor digital synth with 4 voices.

1 Like