What's next for Elektron?

I’m goin thru somethin similar right nao :slight_smile:
one day I go ok I’ll use solely A4, then next say I totally change my view and go nah ill use just MD, then the next day I might be like oh mahn why don’t I use both >__<
oh what I’d do for a bit of consistency

1 Like

There’s something great about using solely the A4. Create a nice Analog soundscape. Every time I try I try to go down the path of Raymond Scott, simple sounds, a little bit jumpy, happy sounding but not too sentimental. Other times I make stuff with Mogwai levels of sentiment, like:

The A4 is also capable of pretty bizarre sounds(which I often neglect):

However the MDUW just has this really dirty sound that I gravitate to.

That being said, I prefer the MnM to the A4 at this point in time. But man, Elektron grooveboxes are just SO DEEP!

2 Likes

i agree. i don’t like the elektron policy of excluding certain functionality to make their boxes complementary (like no midi sequencer on the A4 and so on). it’s not even about money, i am willing to pay a higher price. to me it’s about space. i don’t want to have to have to carry around all that stuff and wire it all up and break it down for gigs/home/rehearsal all the time. it’s a pain in the ass. it can make the difference between traveling with a backpack or having to take the car.

maybe ALEX will fit that bill:

i am really excited for the release. i love the idea of having things expandable with dsp cards, different IO and track numbers. obsolescence stinks.

6 Likes

oh wow, at first glance that looks rapid. I’m gona have a good read of Alex thingy when I get a chance :slight_smile:

Agreed. Elektron have kind of nailed the separate boxes for separate tasks thing now with their current/past products. And it suits some people to have a ton of boxes but for others it’s a strech/hassle.

They could obvs expand on each one individually in mkii’s but I’d love to see them first do something closer to op1/mpc live in terms of a portable all in one box. 8 tracks. 4 OT-esque sampler tracks, 4 digital synth tracks. But all tracks poly and a decent total voice count, like at least 24-voice. Audio tracks vs step sequencer options. Ton of memory for samples and patches/kits. Contemporary fx suite (decent tape sims, amp sims, something like D16 decimort2 etc) with deep parameters per fx and 2 inserts per track + 2 send fx. Tracks can be sacrificed for external midi tracks if desired. Slicing. Separate outputs. Some weird op-1 type sequencer modes. Decent timestrech etc. Approx £1000. Push themselves clearly to front of the pack in that area again…

Or do the above but a no holds barred 16 track digital + analog hybrid version with pads + scene fader and bells (lots of knobs) and whistles for like £2500.

I’d buy either of those instant…after selling some stuff to get funds together :wink:

2 Likes

I think we can expect fx boxes like the AH, same design, big knob, stereo in/out and similar pedals like the Analog Drive. Digital Synth, same design as the Digitakt, (hopefully with some interesting synth engines, including FM)
What I hope they come up with is:
4 track Stereo/8 Track mono recorder/player, Digitakt design, with al lot tweaking possibilities, granular synthesis etc…
One day I would hope to see an OT2, but still having so much fun with my OT, better for my wallet as well.
Elektron mixer with the possibility to sequence patterns of all the machines.
Multitrack, so for example track 1 is for the AR, 2 for the A4 etc… Various audio routing options, mutes, panning, volume etc

I really hope this is not the case… who has the space for dozens of boxes that each do one thing? Even Dataline is running out of space and is using his Machinedrum as a Overhub stand these days it seems: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVX4XIfgXjo

2 Likes

this is the reason I sold my elektron boxes.
elektron brings me to a room full of instruments, all with limited functionality.
in many cases, it was easy to add functionality to it, like midi out on rytm
and I think the reason they don’t do that is a commercial reason.

too much equipment makes me unhappy
too much equipment stagnates creativity

2 Likes
1 Like

limited?

yes. not limited in terms of menus to dive into, but limited where it matters. like separate outs, daw integration, midi sequencing, etc. essential stuff that was standard already 15 years ago.

also more modern stuff, like many recent boxes give you usb host functionality, which is super useful. elektron? nope.

2 Likes

More and more, I see a huge potential for an Elektron Performance Mixer, like the Roland AIRA MX-1 but with way more configurability.

Basically a box the same size as the others - with something like 4 TRS stereo inputs and maybe even 4 USB ports for a total of 8 stereo tracks., that has essentially ‘trigless trigs’ sequencer with some inserts (filter/eq/overdrive.etc/) on each and then 2 or 3 FX tracks for sends. Perhaps some other more exotic insert effects for each of the 8 parts (though not as ‘lame’ as the mx-1 Scatter)… Also 8 small vertical faders along the lines of the OT crossfader - or else even knobs would be OK.

Not sure of the exact design but I think this would become the true ‘brain’ center of an elektron Trinity+ setup.

It wouldn’t even need MIDI or sampling or any of that… and would be absolutely perfect for Overbridge too.

id love em to make an elektron equivalent of the OP-1.
portable, all in 1, but more extensive n fully equipped than op1.

4 Likes

I shudder to think how much that would be in £’s
:laughing:

many dollars

1 Like

Digitakt look like a replacement for machine drum or a lite version of that. So will elektron release a replacement for monomachine??

1 Like

Indeed, a simple synth… 4 voices, digital, nwe boxes sized, 750€ release september

2 Likes

The DIGITONE!

3 Likes

http://www.digitone.com/Digitone%20Call%20Blocker.htm

really? why should they build a call blocker? :neutral_face:

How sure is this info ?