What's next for Elektron?

You gotta admit, though - if you were in marketing at Elektron right now, you’d either go “Why didn’t we think of that?” or “They’re on to us.”

I’d like to think the latter. Their marketing people and communicators are pretty clever.

Or the third thought, these guys have lost it.

I think after the Heat teaser, it’s gonna take something special to get them back to that level

Elecktron have made machines that are limited in what they can do so there is no overlap. For instance no midi sequencing on their flagship the Analog Rytm to protect the sales of the Octatrack.

Now Akai are coming out with the live and the X that can do this and a lot more, effectively a DAW in a box. Elecktron will now need to look at their business model.

1 Like

Elektron have always made grooveboxes, but that’s not to say they ever aimed to be DAWs in boxes. The Elektron gear points to a different direction than any other gear out there.

DAWs(even in boxes) are typically easier to compose tracks in. Elektron tracks are possible, but take a bit of an extra effort. A lot of people feel that extra effort is beneficial. Either because it feels like a more intimate method of track making, or because it produces different results.

2 Likes

I don’t think so… Akai done MPC since decades… so it’s something else. Elektron business model is fine. They will grow with a series of new releases I read that they will release a lot of things…

If they keep the good work with maybe a little bit more reactivity regarding software/firmware part… to not struggle with too much work to do regarding how many they are to work… how many new products to release and production, manage stock… I’m sure they will be fine. Elektron have a good brand image, we just have to see how many people use Elektron in Live rig or Studio in every music genre. + the grow of the Guitarist target…

If they keep the 3 years warranty with a good technical support… Guys like Simon and Olle make a really good work behind Technical support and Human exchange like here for instance… I don’t see what they have to change… Every people here prove that with skepticism for the Analog Heat and finally we know the success of this little beauty so…
All good.

For instance no midi sequencing on their flagship the Analog Rytm to protect the sales of the Octatrack.

Again I don’t think so, just no need on this one for external midi sequencing otherwise they would released the Analog Rytm with Less voices :wink: I prefer to have 12 Drums (with a bit of shared voices and no midi and get scene and performance instead))

5 Likes

I haven’t heard about this but I’ve definitely been craving for one for a few months now :smile:

1 Like

I think one or two more Digitakt/Heat sized boxes will be released at the same time as Digitakt. Major surprise coming our way, me thinks…

1 Like

Like theoretical christmas on account that I don’t have any money to spend :smiley: :frowning:

Seriously. Just blew a wad on a new MBP. Nothing from Elektron for me for a bit. :aw: I’m still interested in getting a DT at some point, though.

1 Like

I hear ya. I’ve stopped being able to grab OT at work, so now I actually have to PLAY with my instruments instead of working for new ones :open_mouth:

1 Like

I think that’s the essence of it right there. And it sounds like a good thing :happy: Whatever Elektron make next, it will be playable.

1 Like

i think a ‘performance mixer’ like you say, with 8 or even 16 tracks would be awesome. I’m hoping an OT2 isn’t soon because i’m about to buy an OT.

I wish marketing could be more forthcoming about road maps (like say intel is) but i understand the reasoning,. too many people would ‘wait for the next big thing.’

Updated mk 2 with OLEDs and other physical improvements might be possible. The Digitakt screen points the way.

There was also a comment from the company that they wanted to enter the easy-to-use just-pick-up-and-go market that Roland is dominating… so i’d expect a simpler OT before id expect a deeper one.

Think the DT is the simpler OT.

4 Likes

I guess that’s sorta right in a way now that i look at it closer… i was thinking it was more like a simpler RYTM but not really.

It’s inevitable that Elektron will follow up Digitakt with something in the same form factor and same goes for Heat. So I’d imagine in time we will see a new FX box of some sort and then we will see a new instrument. I refuse to believe the guys aren’t looking at a Monomachine replacement and something like that would fit nicely in the Digitakt form factor - 8 tracks of digital synths (x number of engines) and 8 tracks of midi.

As much as I’d love to see an OT2 I’m not so sure it’s on the radar. The OT is probably the most niche of Elektron’s instrument range and the narrow market would likely have a high saturation - who knows though!

OT2 would have to be mindblowingly awesome for me to upgrade. Better display/encoders/probability features just not enough on their own, Elektron probably realise this; hence DT…

I’m still mining the OT and will be for years to come.

Replacement for MM in any form factor; now that would be interesting…

1 Like

I’m pretty sure an OT2 won’t happen, or not before a thousand years…

But, as stated above, same form factor and ease of use as DT :

-Digidrum : 8 tracks of MD style drums synths
-Digiwav : 8 tracks of MNM style synthesis

And other FX boxes like the AH/AD may also be released?

As for the mixer thing… I really have no idea about that… It’s kind of anti-OB to me ears… Or, if they can embed OB in this hypothetic mixer without the need of a computer…

1 Like

That may be the final unit: Overmasta! Mixing and effects via OB… no computer required, but can communicate/connect with PC.

A performance mixer intended for live use, absolutely I can see them doing that. In the style of the Aira MX-1. USB connections. Synced midi with a step sequencer for P-lockable effects. Pattern switching? Mutes? Scenes. Cross fader. Links to Heat as a send or master effect. Big time that’s something that Elektron could do. Might not be cheap, or small, though.

1 Like