What's next for Elektron?

I don’t know what is next for Elektron, but I know what I’d be interested in buying from them: a digital beast that reimagines all the best parts of the MDUW/MNM/OT, with Overbridge (and analog filters if I’m dreaming), and some really next gen sequencing options. For the most part I’m still an Elektron fanboy, but I feel they’ve been turning into a different kind of company since somewhere into the development of the OT, and the Elektron that made me a fan was oriented in more of an “everything and the kitchen sink” approach to really versatile instruments; their M.O. has changed in the last 4-6 years or so towards more specialized products, and as good as they are I find their recent approach less inspiring than their previous aesthetics.

Elektron shines best when they are an alternative or expansion to computer based composition. Overbridge is a good step and I’d like to see it become solid enough to be an industry norm, but I would be unapologetically fiscally irresponsible if they put out a totally digital machine that was really designed to “do it all” with Overbridge.

6 Likes

I make that for fun with Photoshop…

2 Likes

I think the next product will be Cenk’s hands with Pfinger control, Overbridge to transfer interpretations and gestures.

Here a ‘old’ OT mkII

3 Likes

Dude I bloody love that idea!

I’d they want to continue along the lines of esoteric units, that aren’t music making devices, then this would fit in perfectly!!

So for no teaser from Elektron. Let’s hope they work on something big instead of things like the Analog Heat/Drive.

2 Likes

Right after they make a reverb version of the Heat, absolutely

There is still a beatboxer in the teaser that has no connection to the heat and the drive… the teaser was for a series of Products… it is time for a looper

4 Likes

the series thing is plausible AF

And the elektron violin.

1 Like

A4/AK expander with assignable cv ins + env follower!

There was a distortion on the violin

Maybe it had something to do with using the AH with the OT plugged in. IF any of the Elektron boxes need some loving from the Heat it would be the OT.

Most likely there will be a series of effect boxes, similar to the Analog Heat. Reverb, Delay and a Modulation box, all three with the same layout as the AH, 1 big knob for the various modes, for example with the Reverb box: plate, room, hall, tape etc, etc. I also expect the all have the same filter options, wet-dry, etc. and they all get a little baby brother quitar pedal like the Drive.
I am hoping for a multi fx box, so you will be able to run various types of fx at once, with various routing possibilities, multi inputs and it would be more fun if they add their sequencer to it also…
Can we expect something new at Namm? Or will it be the AH and Drive which get all the attention. Next box will be introduced at the Messe?

May be an elektron bass like tb303 elektron’s feeling.
I say that just because it lacks one in the dataline’s setup…
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Messe isn’t interesting anymore for synths later on 20-22 april Superbooth 17 Berlin thats the place to be.
Namm seems to be boring this year… check also the Sonicstate podcast to get the idea,

1 Like

Wonder if they want more capital - if so, a 16 track mduwmono combo in one box with all the black box functions plus a couple of gig hd would provide high returns /sales
Btw an equity partner now owns a third of elektron - so if a profit motive is there, well it makes sense and dollars !

2 Likes

Granular/Cloudy digital synth processing, we need more total weirdness and out of the box stuff , forget mixers etc we got all that covered — i wanna see something like an A4/Mono machine but digital and super weird, maybe with the same sample import functionality as the AR but with loads of options to mess with the sound and play it like a synth… Something to score SciFi soundtracks with.

3 Likes

I put saturation in a slightly different category to most effects. I just recently have gotten totally obsessed with saturation, more specifically overdriven tube circuits, and now feel its nearly more important than source material for my music.
So I understand their creating the analog heat, I hope they don’t start making more fx boxes tho. or at least just have em as a side project.
I really hope they have an OT2 or something rapid like that next up. sign me up.
I’d love em to completely redo the way they think about file, sample and saving structures. there are way more user friendly ways. namely having at least an option to have recorded audio auto save to file so that you don’t have to then dick around moving your recordings from ram to rom and such to save em. auto-save to file on the track you sampled from please, with a simple “save:yes or no?” pop up on the screen. thats my only irk with the machinedrum.
All their boxes should have the machinedrum “function button = ctrl all” trick imo.
and pattern & kit should be linked imo, or at least make it an option in settings. no harm in that. 1 kit per pattern. keep it simple.
woop :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeh Supabooth may or may not be the place for whatever’s next (maybe)