What's next for Elektron?

I love your idea, for percussion it could have multiple inserts, different materials to strike, wood, metal, glass…but just a piano would be amazing,

The Bastl mechanical stuff could play a major role in doing some kind of diy version, though I haven’t looked at them extensively.

Maybe an insert to go into an upright piano similar to these…

only functioning in reverse, with a motor for every string

Sharing Ideas, you know where the door is.

I was trying to communicate that I think this is a great forum because people can talk about their interest in music gear and other things music related because it’s designed for it. Someone complaining that people are talking about the “wrong” thing in this particular thread makes no sense whatsoever. Sorry if I offended or wasn’t clear.
@ektoplazm
Having the freedom and the privilege to share ideas is exactly what I was talking about.

2 Likes

Loopers are to people in 2017 what jaw harps was to people in the 90s. Seriously? A loopa’?

1 Like

Yeah, if you do it like it was the 90’s, then you’re absolutely right.

Again… getting into eurorack would be something.
An 8track sequencer with a lot of trigger and cv outputs.
Programmable with step and realtime notes.

I think, to Elektron, they’ve got their eurorack support established with the A4. Now if they could JUST come out with a up to date standalone midi sequencer. THAT would be something

3 Likes

The A4 has nothing to do with eurorack.
Just a pair of gate and cv outs imho.
No, I mean 8 tracks with plocks by multiple cv and gate outputs for each track.
I think Elektron would make the most comprehensive sequencer around for modular use.
Take an ER101 as a start :grinning:

You’ve got an odd definition of “nothing” ;D

I find it highly unlikely that Elektron will ever start making eurorack modules. Just doesn’t seem like that fits with their M.O. But I would like to see them add move CV options to their upcoming products. I felt like the AK would have been much more interesting if you could have controlled the joystick with CV, for example.

Yeah, I think a sequencer for modular with overbridge would be pretty much perfect for them right now.

Build off the sequencer in the analogs.

I use my Octatrack’s MIDI sequencer + Expert Sleepers FH1 + FHX1 for this exact purpose and strongly recommend it. CV p-lock valhalla. You have 16 (or more, if you chain more FHX1s) that you can assign to pitch, gate, trigger, p-lock CV and LFO roles as you want. I use it for 4 pitch + gate pairs that each have 2 p-locked CV and LFO lanes, with the FH’s internal slew pressable into service when you want to eliminate 128-value stepping. I use the iConnect mio to convert the din midi to USB midi and the timing is very tight.

Now what I really want is the OT’s MIDI sequencer updated to the analog boxes’ innovations and with more attention paid to polyphony, chords, scales, longer tracks, and other such places where other MIDI sequencers have an advantage over the Octatrack. A breakout box for more CV + gate outputs would be fine with me, as on the Cirklon. I would honestly be bummed if their next sequencer emitted only CV, but I’m sure they know that their base heavily uses MIDI. People who work exclusively with CV are an anomaly.

1 Like

Word. The analog gear maybe is slightly less “magical” due to its analogness as well, but mostly because of different design priorities it seems. I too hope that the next thing will regain this sort of Lego-like internal flexibility. But tbh not sure if that’s gonna happen…

I think you just answered an unrelated question for me, as I’ve just gotten a Squarp Pyramid and an iConnectivity Mio10, and was thinking about putting an FH-1 in my eurorack rig and connecting it to the Pyramid by way of a Mio10 USB output port, so that I wouldn’t have to lose all the other USB channel options of the Pyramid by connecting it directly to the FH-1.

that will work fine. I actually go Octatrack > Pyramid > mio > FH1, so PM me if you run into any headaches as I may have already faced them.

2 Likes

Will do! I’m still probably a few months from grabbing the FH-1 since I need to settle down and pay some stuff off after the mad spending of the last two months, but I will hit you up once I get it if I encounter any issues. :thup:

My perception is not always be perfect :loopy: Caffeine can make me edgy, my bad…

Glad to hear it…:totes:

1 Like

No worries, mate! I know the feeling :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m tending to think that the way the Elektron website is organized has a some clues as to what’s to come. There will be more sound processors for sure. I wouldn’t think that they’d do just the AH and that’s it.

As far as more guitar pedals? Not sure. They’re trying this one out. I have to say, even though the Analog Drive isn’t something that interests me at the moment, I like their take on the concept.

Elektron do seem to be good at identifying where they can innovate and deliver a very unique but marketable product. To me, innovation isn’t always brand-new tech; it could also be a unique form factor and/or feature set that hasn’t been done before. I will say, for me, build quality is important which is one reason I tend to shy away from Roland gear but will consider Elektron and other companies with similar build quality. So if Elektron comes out with something that isn’t totally unique (likely) but has their ethos behind the feature set/form factor/quality, I’ll have a look just because I’m curious about these things.

I’m hopeful about an eventual OT2, but the OT as it is works for me. I consider 95% of its feature set to not be outdated at all. It still beats brand-new samplers currently on the market IMHO.

For the folks that are worried about the looper talk, I have a feeling Elektron will save that for an OT2. As an aside (then I’ll leave it alone), I think there is absolutely room for more innovation in looper technology. The Looperlative was headed this way, but was sadly discontinued. And yes, there’s heaps of room for innovation in looper performance technique :grin:

If the next thing is a synth, I’d love to see a hardware physical modeling synth with numerous synth engines for percussion as well as pitched synthesis. Another flagship machine, for sure.

1 Like

I could not agree more - many times over the past few months I have been tempted to buy one - but the hardware really is getting long in the tooth - with all respect to the advantages that limitations stimulate creativity / they have demonstrated an excellent workflow with a4/rytm and I would love to see their dynamic performer sampler updated