What's next for Elektron?

id imagine a full-on elektron box probably takes around 2-3 years in R&D… and when was RYTM released? Also the game has changed a bit in these past couple years, so that could be a factor in redesigns, etc… also the overbridge business, which Id be willing to bet is a situation of elektron “biting off more than they can chew” in many ways

im guessing a new box will be announced before or around a year from now, but who knows

seriously tho - all of that is entirely separate from actually making music, practicing and gaining skills and so forth… might want to shift the majority of time and energy into that as much as possible, because its not really easy for most people to do that and yet its the most necessary thing

4 Likes

You must be one of these electron fanboys. A violin would be better than a stompbox.

Yer I must be.

1 Like

Overhub is the ideal USB hub solution for Overbridge enabled units. Connect up to 7 units to a single host computer for maximum productivity. So it will be 4 new elektron device overbrige enabled to come ! (3 is already used by A4, AR and AH…)

1 Like

dataline uses AK as a polysynth, next to A4
So 4 out of 7 are used.

I expect a looper ((because of the beatboxer in the teaser)
I expect some kind of OT2
and I expect some kind of performance mixer…

all fully analog with overhub connection…

1 Like

Maybe a Analog Overdub (cool name)

Maybe Analog Tape? Actual tape recorder with OB support would be cool. I wonder how much Elektron branded magnetic tape would cost though. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I suspect a new digital synth/drum machine. Maybe something Ike the MD with AR sequencer and drum pads with chromatic possibilities! 16 tracks of course.

Another 4 a4s

1 Like

I figure there’ll be plenty of Overbridge enabled ‘analog plugins’ and they’ll probably be good but my heart really desires an Elektron synth/sequencer focusing on fm, physical modelling & granular techniques.

5 Likes

A variant on the OT/MNM that is instead a detailed sampling wavetable/microgranny (on 6 channels) with analog filters, I’d guess.

I think there will never be a true OT 2 … because whatever an OT 2 could be will not be as profound as taking those OT 1 enhancements into deep new ground of their own and dropping some features (e.g. MIDI seq) so as it isn’t an OT at all.

OT is so widely bought electron will have a hard market on their hands to get everyone to upgrade for a ‘better version’ of a true classic.

2 Likes

It’s maybe unrealistic to hope for, but I’d be pretty disappointed if Elektron released an OT Mk2 that lacked a MIDI sequencer that included the innovations of the Analog series (better system for and loading/saving/reloading patterns & kits, changing multiple steps at once, conditional locks, parameter slides, etc.). That would be missing a huge opportunity. Just my 2c.

2 Likes

I foresee an eurorack module…

100% not eurorack

1 Like

Totally agree on the OT but I have to say there are plenty of things they could do to improve it. Think about the MD and MnM. They both have MK2 versions and +drive upgrades and you know what, the upgrades weren’t so profound. Sure MD got sampling which is great, albeit arguably quite limited in its ability. Also downsampling and only playing in mono.

Apart from additional effects and some new bells and whistles, the most obvious addition to an MK2 version would be the inclusion of Overbridge.

I love my OT, but I would seriously consider upgrading for OB…

Polyphonic sample tracks on an OT 2 would be the most huge/obvious upgrade for me… Being able to have a fully sequencable drum kit on one track without sample chain or sample lock workarounds/limitations etc and to be able to use a sample to play chords and sounds that aren’t limited by cutting themselves off etc…

That plus at least 8 physical separate outs. And at least double the max pattern to 128 steps. And sample layering. And midi scenes. And trig conditions. And tape/amp sim fx. And. And. And. And… I love the OT and more than happy with it how it is, easily my favourite piece of hardware, but a more powerful big brother would be very welcome :wink:

1 Like

Which is why there is DEFINITELY room for an MK2 ! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m just guessing that an OT 2 design could push so deeply into new territory in many of the OT 1 Swiss Army knife functionality areas that the elektron business/design folks would think: let’s just make a fresh digital sampling synth that isn’t a full OT at all. It would keep existing OT owners happy and would bring in more sales of a fresh hardware concept.

so in short, perhaps there will never be an OT 2, but there will be a synthy sampler, more adventurous with filters, formant, timestretch and grains … they’ve been neglecting their DSP chops for too long!

2 Likes

another vote for OT mkii

3 Likes

Octatrack-like device which could sample and host multiple vst plygins, please.