What's next for Elektron?

Digibridge

1 Like

I would doubt a New model:whatever given that the model:samples is on massive sellout everywhere. If it was selling well prices would not go down. All the other boxes are pretty consistent in terms of pricing.

It would be a bizarre name choice if there weren’t more planned things in the model series. I’d say it’s almost certain there will be more

3 Likes

it’s entrylevel. It’s like the free candy (our mothers warned us about)

I’d wager its selling very well since the lower €299 price. a much better suited price imo. might very well pick one up in the near future.

I guess they might test how cheap works best for mass sales of future products. That takes some time.

Most elektron boxes drop a lot from their initial rsp, so this isn’t super surprising. They also go back up as well - iirc the DT went up £100-ish at the end of 2018.

Might not be a bad strategy to drop the price, bring more people on board, add a new feature (battery handle? Software feature? New model:synth?) that those new customers rave about, then bump the price back up a bit.

I still doubt it. Apple tested this too. When you build your reputation on high class high price audio stuff you have a customer base with certain expectations i think. Everybody is screaming for an octatrack mk3 and if they would bring one someday and its good, they will sell a shitload of them for a premium price.

Are they though? ‘Everyone’? I’ve no idea of figures but people frequently mention that elektron say the DT sold in its first year what the OT sold ever.

Your mention of Apple is apt, insofar as the power users have spent years feeling under serviced by Apple, and frequently talk as if they’re the ‘true’ user base Apple ought to be catering to. Apple have finally refreshed their pro offering and a lot of pros are choosing windows machines instead. Meanwhile, Apple has become one of the richest companies in the world catering to other markets…

If you stake your company’s life on being loyal to a few pro users, what happens when a competitor shows up with something that grabs their attention? Do you think they’ll repay your loyalty?

2 Likes

I think every company should make the best products they can. If they begin to compromise for sales They loosing reputation.
Maybe you are right in Apples case. But the pricy iphones still sell more than the cheap ones. But as you said, not caring about pro users gave them a massive reputation hit.

And how you massivly ruin it you can see with teenage engineering. Got greedy with op-1 and have a bad name for support and op-z quality. Now they produce crappy speakers for Ikea. (Yeah maybe they are still rich :smile:)

1 Like

Moog for example doesn‘t seem to compromise for sales. And they hold up.

1 Like

I don’t have one but I think Model:Sample is very good quality. It’s cheap because it have less feature but I have not the feeling that elektron made a cheap product.
A new model: seem logic but maybe the digi format has more success and have the best price range for average occidental people who want beautiful machine to love.

1 Like

This. M:S is a stripped down DT with a couple of unique features of its own like Chance and the velocity sensitive pads. So maybe Model:Synth will be a stripped down DN with something different

The Chance is not the same as on DT trig cond % ?

Nope. I thought that at first too. But it’s actually chance of a trig being placed rather than percentage chance of that specific trig firing. If that makes sense?

Edit: Listen to sezare56 below :slight_smile:

Would be nice if they dropped a DigiDrum (like Microtonic in a box with Elektron sequencer) along with the new Model:Synth thingy.

3 Likes

Sure there are a couple. The Octatrack is an amazing tool with its own quirks. It has its fans, but also a lot of haters because they think it is to hard to learn. I did not felt that way. But the Digi’s and the Model:Sample are very easy to learn and therefor have a much wider audience.

If they would create a new flagship it would be something new and not a Octatrack upgrade. There isn’t a Machine drum, while certain people ask for it. And I think that is good. It creates nostalgia.

More a full polyphonic Analog synthesizer or wave table like synth. Would fit nice next to the Rytm and A4 which is more used as a multi timbral monosynth. That would be my guess for a new flagship. And probably something like a new model: type.

I still hope they create a nice “multitimbral” FX box with the powerfull Elektron sequencer and multiple inputs where you can have 4 different delays patch to every output. :slight_smile:

:thinking:

X% is a probability condition. There is an x% chance that the trig will be active

CHANCE Track Chance sets the probability that the trigs on the track plays or not.
The default setting is 100%, meaning that all the trigs on the track plays every time. (0%–100%)

Probability percentage for both, no ?
Chance affects all trigs (without conditions) of the track; I think that’s the only difference with X% that affects only plocked trigs.

Control All Chance for all Elektrons!
At least I’d love to be able to record TRC in live recording to set them quickly…

3 Likes

Ah that’s it! Much better explanation! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Moog finances the r&d with lower cost but still quality goods. Elektron can do similarly.