What's next for Elektron?

Haha yeah, it’s pretty funny.

It’s a new project, completely unrelated to Elektron.

8 Likes

damn you just went and prematurely killed 10 pages of rumors that would’ve followed tomorrow

2 Likes

:joy:

What do you mean?? I’m waiting for the “what’s next for Ess?”-thread!

13 Likes

A stand alone sequencer would be cool

1 Like

Done. What’s next for ess?

2 Likes

Now that standalone Maschine+, Mpc One, and Mpc live 2 have all released since the digitakt came out, I’m thinking a Digitakt MK2 refresh with proper song mode, stereo sampling etc will be the next upcoming release next year or early 2022.

1 Like

Wavetable Synth

2 Likes

Standalone Push3 “powered by Elektron” with full import/export to Live, plus all the OT/DT performance goodies - contactless xfader! With digiwaves, SID emulation, selectable category or macro smart randomization and morph feathers & smart formant reprocessing like the Vsynth. Plus various analog hardware plugin carts like SE. that should do it. Take my €2500 please! Oh and they outsource desktop software dev and stick to DSP and circuit design, and the new OB3+ app converts any project file from any/all Elektron gear to any other family format - as well as exporting to .als
That should do it.
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Dear Elektron:

Please design an audio interface with the following features:

• DigiX formfactor and price
  • 8 channels of analog audio in, stereo out
  • 8 track midi sequencer
  • Overbridge enabled for DAW integration
  • Standalone mode
  • USB audio class-compliant inputs for connecting other Elektron gear in standalone mode
  • Multiple effects modules for the analog audio ins

These features are mostly a combo of existing hardware elements, so it should be a nice return on investment!

Thanks!

5 Likes

Just wondering about the time frames of those previous Elektrons but would Elektron have something in the pipeline before the end of this year?

Does something need to come out every year? :confused:

Way to saturate and frustrate people.
Space it out!

1 Like

Remember we had M:C already this year. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if 2021 is slated for the next one. Most releases are a year or two apart if you look back at their previous boxes.

Would love to see their take on a visualiser / visual processor, along the lines of the Eyesy or some of the LZX stuff. A high end version with mad power. Integrateable with their other machines, including Octatrack scenes :exploding_head:

1 Like

I really enjoy the concept of analog video synthesis and think it could be really cool to make a digital video synthesizer. Sort of like the dx7 vs a moog. I bet you could do some really weird stuff.

2 Likes

Yea, I’d like to see an Octatrack for video, with endless video clip mangling possibilities.

3 Likes

I get the idea, but my guts don’t like the idea about Elektron venturing out conquering unknown territory on a new software heavy adventure :expressionless:

1 Like

I’d much prefer that they stick to audio. Video synthesis is cool, and there are other companies doing it well, but I want Elektron focus on what makes them special, namely instruments that have a ton of depth and a well thought through workflow.

4 Likes

with analog filter, a hybrid

Just catching up on this topic and chime in on what I think may be clues to what Elektron is working on next.

As of 3-4 months ago they had job postings up on several sites (including their own) for software engineers who could write code using the Rust programming language. The two postings were for a Rust Graphics Engineer and a (generalist?) Rust engineer.

The job postings have since been taken down, but persist in Google’s caches:

Rust Graphics Engineer, rustjobs.io
Rust Engineer, elektron.se

The “Rust Graphics Engineer” postings lists “Deep knowledge of modern graphics APIs and Rust” as a requirement. Under “Preferred qualifications” in both postings, they list embedded Linux as a desired skill. For the “Rust Engineer” posting, they also include “Network Programming” as a preference.

Given these details, I would guess they’ve started work on something that will feature a screen with graphics more sophisticated than LCD or OLED sprites and bitmaps.

I believe use of embedded Linux would be new to Elektron products as well. Some comments on this topic suggest that embedded Linux is not likely even on products as recent as the Digitakt or Digitone.

In my opinion, the use of Rust is not a significant indicator of what they are building. Rust is likely going to replace some portion of C or C++ systems-level development in coming years. I’m guessing they’re just taking the opportunity to use new tools on a greenfield project.

The big question mark for me is the “Network Programming” part. Will their next product include some way to network together? Maybe Ableton Link support? Connect to some Elektron cloud service?

Thanks for reading.

19 Likes