What's next for Elektron?

I would buy that… :drooling_face:

2 Likes

It would be super dope if it was similar to a Minitaur in an Elektron format with sequencer.

1 Like

Oh ok, looks cool. Seem possible to implement on every OS. But they have to add more pages a la Analog Heat ^^

1 Like

A sequencer you mean? :content:
AH Cruelly lacks of direct midi control or trigger with a note, so it would be possible to trigger it even with M:S.

just thinking out loud…sorta continuing my hope for an Elektron ”OctaStudio” sampler, other than the already standard legacy machines from the octatrack, new machines: Amiga+,Ensoniq+, SP+, S950+, RZ+,SK+, digiPro+ ,each machine once loaded with a sample, with a simple button press can be converted to the sample rate/fixed hz rate and DAC model indicative of their legacy…each machine would also have a unified general editing pages, similar to what’s already familiar but with included filter models that were available in the original units (enabling you to mix and match filter models to what ever machine convention you choose) etc…Ess I hope you see this lol!! I’m dropping techno pearls here lol!!!..top it all off with the Elektron sequencer and OctaStudio Arranger…a modern day studio/performance sampler carrying on the legacy of vintage computer/music trackers and classic samplers…I obviously have daydreamed way to hard on this one lol!)

4 Likes

19 january 2017

25 january 2018

22 january 2019

They are late for 2020 !

Don’t look to the past. 90’ wont come back.

Sure they will. Just 70 years to go … :wink:

And about “being late”: forcing out products like they did in the past just brought about many problems and unhappy users (how many years ago Overbridge 2 was about “finished”?). Taking their time to get it right BEFORE selling (beta) “lemons” seems a more appropriate way to me (for a company of their size and reputation) …

5 Likes

lol!!! In the 90’s I was Rockin an Atari st a shite sampler, a cz-101 and an old dr-110…the old ways aren’t without their faults, but “character” is definitely missing from a lot of modern kit, especially samplers…you love p-locks? Trackers, you love the the digitone, tx81z…the 90’s? we livin em just tweaked out and improved lol!

5 Likes

I had opcode vision sequencing an s2000 until I could afford my MPC in '99
And a modded DR-110 as well!

Funny thing is the last few tracks I’ve made with Model Samples remind me the most of my MPC2000XL days. So what you say, @DkirbyDamonkirby, really resonates with me.

M/S and MPC are very different, but since I use them both for sequencing single shot .wavs , my results are similar. And yea, I can just “Tweak out” the M/S more thanks to the various sequencer tricks. And 6 tracks are as good as 16 with sound locks.

In fact, somehow it gives me that 20 years old MPC vibe far more than when I use my OT in the same way. Pads help!

2 Likes

Now imagine going back in time with a M:S…the world would of exploded lol!! plus it would cost 2000 bucks lol!!

2 Likes

Octatrack MKIII

1 Like

I think about this constantly. Between Model Samples and Volca Drum… techno producers can do more than ever with so little.

So whatever Elektron does next, I hope it continues in this regard.

5 Likes

Whatever they’re brewing, I hope it is not another sampler.

Obviously there is a gap for a digital drum machine. There is a lot of that in Eurorack these days, with stuff from WMD, Intellijel and Noise Engineering paving the way for something interesting.

Even a small scale analog drum machine in the model form factor might be interesting. Several other companies have shown that it can be made at attractive price points, but Elektron might have sufficient legacy to actually make something cool. Something 606y, but with a lot more control and a killer sequencer. I would buy that.

Personally, I hope most for a mixer.

1 Like

Wait, what ? MS have pads ? I mean, you can fingerdrum them without the fear or breaking something ?

Indeed, velocity sensitive and everything.

1 Like

oh cool. I never looked in depth the MS because I own the DT but I should definitively look at it. Look pretty cool to fingerdrum some hiphop drums.

Yea it’s not simply a scaled down Digitakt with fewer tracks, no attack parameter, less granular sample start resolution, and no dedicated envelope (though LFO has an ENV shape as a workaround)

It has more sample slots per project (576 vs 128, but over the same amount of 64MB sample RAM).

A chance knob which means you can Ctrl All probability.

And the filter is LPF+HPF in a Pioneer DJM single knob style, rather than LPF or HPF selectable.

Knob per function (mostly)

There are other difference but those are the biggest.
They’re similar but also different beasts, and I love mine.

1 Like

Did you get an OT MKI? :sketchy:

1 Like

Yea!

off topic

Let go of my MK2 for financial reasons some months ago.
Really missed it and when the MPC One came out I started hunting for a product that was similar to OT MK2 for my needs, but more budget minded.
AKAI’s Force and latest MPCs are real close to doing what I need but don’t tick all the boxes the way the OT does.

After an exhaustive hunt and many PDF manuals perused, I came to the conclusion that the only “Like an OT but on a budget” was the used MK1 in excellent condition I scored on Reverb.

I like the bigger screen on the MK1, and that it matches my A4 MK1 (I actually prefer that Dieter Rams style), the lights that don’t feel like informational overload.
I missed some of the newer dedicated buttons but got over that real quick.
The labels under the encoders though, I may have to make my own :slight_smile:

I might even be a little happier with the MK1 overall. :open_mouth:

3 Likes