What's next for Elektron?

Hahah, I have no idea what’s going on here but I’m loving it.

1 Like

Elektron should do a hybrid next.
Expand on the fm synth to include more digital synthesis, running into analog filters, vca’s etc.
Much more knobs as well would be great

In the video with Simon he refers to building the Digitone on the Digitakt “platform” so it took much quicker…

He also mentions that the Digitone has two of the processors from the Digitakt and processes sound internally at 96k 32bit resolution… :slight_smile:

1 Like

makes actually sense for applying filters etc to fm synthesis I guess

I wonder if next they will create the supposed performance mixer recorder thingy, as a little trinity setup. For lots of linking duties, song modes, performing across both boxes, FX etc

I’ve never looked inside a Digitakt, but Simon does say “we actually expanded the processor to two of them”…
Starting at 8:10

3 Likes

Amiga 4000 with 68040 . I think you could then write assemly code on old amigas :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not investigating the details of the inside like you are, but it was mentioned “the Digitakt platform” was used that made the creation go much quicker, so I think your onto something…

1 Like

Digiloop : 2 pairs of stereo in, 4tracks with effect and p-lock, timestretch and midi tempo sync.

2 Likes

If the Digitone has double the processing power, why does it cost the same as the Digitakt? Shouldn’t it be more costly? And if it is not, why not give the Digitakt more power to begin with so it can be expanded easier? So many questions :joy:

1 Like

This could and we’re speculating of course, but could explain why pretty much all retailers have raised the price to 769 euro after selling the previous revision for as little as 609 euro.

1 Like

There’s half the sonic/midi quantity on the device.

Half the audio tracks/Half the midi tracks

Digital Keys?

The wave bender or breaker, DigiWave, Wavesurfer…Name doesn’t matter. My personal dream(!) of a hardware synth:

• Full blown digital wavetable synth.

• Subtractive but with some simple FM routing possibilities. Filter FM, OSC 1 > OSC 2 etc.

• 3-4 Oscillators per voice. Input can be used as part of a oscillator similar like A4.

• Standard waveforms, spectral waveforms(like the virus for example), a granular mode, user drawn waveforms and of course the key aspect: The wavetables.

• A system to route notes and parameter lock to multiple tracks/sounds, allowing a very simple form of “additive” synthesis through layering multiple sounds. Volumen/MIX of each part can be a modulation destination, for example aftertouch, velocity and so on.

• Scene features with fader(like OT) to morph beween two different sound settings. (Only for intern synth, MIDI isn’t fast enough, unless the elektron protocol is ussed, or data amount is limited via priority system, but that needs to be modifiable for the user).

• Wavetables drawing options. User draws two different waveforms, with different tools and modification options. For example: smooth out sections, using predefined geometrical blocks, making parts edgy, some EQ like manipulation options, etc. Edit or create waveforms by defining the first 30 harmonics. After you draw two different waveforms, let’s say the first is the first in the whole wavetable. The second one is at the end of the wavetable. The machine then interpolates all the waveforms between. Like extruding from first drawing to the shape of the last waveform. Lets say 256 different waveshapes =1 Wavetable. (Cool would be to allow a custom length, for long drone sounds and other cool sounds).
    Of course it would then be easy to create steps/„waveforms“ between. Overbridge could be a good way to import and create wavetables in more detailed way.If OB is used, samples can be load to to scan through the visualisation of the frequenc spectrum, snapshot of different stages can be made and used as a base for new wavetables. You could sample a instrument, the analyse the waveform, and remodel it’s behaviour. Or the software has a function that makes automatic „pictures“ of the waveforms in a periodic distance, which then can be used as wavetable.

• Waveshaper functions like wavemultiply, wave folder, maybe even phase mod, FM, Ring mod…

• (the optional) granular mode would use the wavetable or the aux input as base for the grains. On OSC page one can be defined where the grains start, end, number of grains, panorama spread. Of course short samples would be awesome for this. If samples could be used, LA synthesis would be possible to! And with the scene feature you get a D50 like sound morph. But with much better sounds, interface.This combined with the Sequenzer and recorded scene fades will be a endless source of sounds :open_mouth:… but I could live without the granular/sample feature… Maybe this could be a different Elektron product.

• Every Oscillator can use one of those different modes.

• One EQ for every track! EQ is very important for sound sculpting. Everyone who has used a Synth and a EQ knows that it allowss much mor sonic possibilities, and it’s even easier to get fast and awesome results. Even if it is just one with 3 poles.

• The performance mode/macro’s similar to the A4.

• 2 Digital multimode fIlter per track. (1-6 Pole LP, HP, BP, BS/Notch, Peak and maybe some vowel, Formant or a tb/Acid or even a z-plane Filter. Basically as much different Filter possibly!) with different routing possibilities.

• Multi Stage envelop generator with delay, loop functions for different areas(NAVE for the IPad has a way that is simple but powerful.ENVs for AMP,Filter and 1-2 EG for other manipulations. Of cours all 4 need to to have at least 3 parts for free assignable modulation purposes each.

• LFOs can use wavetables besides of classical waveforms and some special waveforms. At least 3-4 LFOs per track. With offset parameter for unipolar waveforms, of course this offset parameter can be modulated. Imagine this example with two sine waves with different speed, or a envelope in loop mode! Blofeld and Virus do allow almost something almost similar and it’s perfect for pads, trap bass, long drones and all kinds of fm sounds(especially when sine waves or other smooth waveforms and tables are used!).

• A screen that’s a little bit bigger in order to display the wavetables, Waveforms and parameters on the same time.

• A oscilloscope mode than can be faded in while playing with the values of the parameter from the current page/section.

• I always wanted some kind of simulation mode that graphically represents the modulation on the LFO curves or seeing the filter movements(I found out that you can hack the Blofeld to show who the Filter behaves in real-time (Just allow the editing of the sound and use a midi cc from OT to the Blofeld and you will see the Blofeld graphics in animation for the first time :blush: but that’s off topic).

• Sequenzer similar to the current Elektron gear. Maybe if possible add a system in LIVE REC mode that records the correct note length and and aftertouch.

• Maybe up to 128 steps. Could be just a additional button that’s besides the PAGE button. page 1 = 1-64, press button and page 2=64-128 appears. Additional one bar could consists of 32 steps, instead of 16. But i think something like this would already be possible with the OT and the scale settings…

• Slide mode is a MUST with elektrons brillant sequenzers.

• MIDI sequencer for 8 tracks. Same es OT but with parameter slide trigger.

• 4-8 Tracks

• min. 32 Voices in total (when all modulations are used, everything is used on maximum but without Unison active)

• 3 Insert FX per track. (Min. Comp, Reverb, Delay with some different time Sync modes.

• A simple side chain option, like Roland’s MX-1. (just press the trigger where you want compression) of course something like this is already possible with a OT.

• 2x2outputs, free assingable, 2x Mono in, MIDI trio, sustain and expression pedal in. USB.

• Size and form same as the OT or even as big as the Accsess Virus Darkstar, if the synth has keys. I would even accept a lengthy of 1xOT+DT if needed :wink:

• Design wise I think of something like a OT mkII but with little bit bigger screen and the scene fader on the left instead of the right site so there would be space for a octave A4 „keyboard/buttons“ if it is a version without real keys.

• For something like this I Gould pay 2000€ or more, even more if everything would be included.
    Blofeld and Virus are the proof that all this things would be possible, but with the integration of the scene feature, the powerful elektron sequencer and the ability to load user created wavetables and single waveforms it would be much more powerful as a Virus,Blofeld! It would be the perfect addition to elektrons current lineup. You could have a complete setup consisting of only Elektron gear, that allows you to use all of the basic forms of soundsynthesis. From analog synth, sampler, drum synthesis to digital with FM and finally wavetables!

3 Likes

oh is that all?

6 Likes

Yes. If Elektron builds a wavetable synth, you can have a complete setup with all important forms of sound synthesis. If you actually read all points, you will realise that most of those features would be possible. It’s basically like Serum or Massive in a box. Wavetables is the ultimate form of synthesis, you can get a unlimited amount of different sounds. If Accsess could make most of this things for over ten years ago, elektron can do it to.

Better then just another subtractive analog synth. Real good wavetables hardware synths are actually rare. I use a OT MKII to sequence Virus ti2 desktop. It’s perfect but, a serum like wavetable synth with customisable waveforms and wavetables would open a whole universe of possibilities.

I want Elektron to turn the Analog 4 into an iOS app- and I want it to be REAL analog, not just that emulation jazz

3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

You kids play nice

2 Likes

No, it is the“ultimate“. It’s a fact and not my opinion.

2 Likes