What with the Syntakt ? Digitone or Digitakt

Hi everybody
My first question and i have a lot because new user !
I’ve just bough a Syntakt and i have the Digitone too…
But what is better with Syntakt ? Digitone or Digitakt ?And why ?(For techno music)
Thanks for the reply !
Clem

The better one is the Digitone, because you already have it!

8 Likes

Yes i know but perhaps to sell her and get a Digitakt…I don’t know !

Syntakt plus Digitone is a terrific combination, and each is great by itself. Digitakt is also a great machine, but the combination of Syntakt and Digitakt is not better, just different. If I had to choose one of these two configurations, it would be the one you already have. At the very least, spend some time working with them before making any further decisions.

9 Likes

Thanks a lot for your answer…I will do that !

1 Like

I totally agree with plragde,
the instruments you have is the best combo, and it’s good to learn each instrument inside and out on it’s own and then you can really see how they complement each other.
Syntakt and digitone is a powerful combo, I actually just hooked my digitone up with my syntakt for the first time today, I wanted to spend more time with the syntakt solo before adding another synth to the mix.
Enjoy your sonic journey.

8 Likes

Okay, but what if you only had a Syntakt? Which would you buy next?

That’s a different question, for a different thread.

For Techno, I would definitely take the Digitone with the Syntakt.

5 Likes

Keep the digitone. Unless you really desire a sampler. I’d much rather have the Syntakt & Digitone.

Managing samples gets old. The digitakt has a certain sound that may or may not start to sound dull after awhile.

FM synthesis is the bees knees.

7 Likes

The answer is YES to all 3.

I own the syntakt and a digitone. I have an MPC One too, but so far, I did not have the need to throw in some samples. I love the DT-ST-Combo, and I am sure you too.

2 Likes

thank you everyone for your answers! I probably made a small mistake by buying the Syntakt 2 weeks after having my Digitone… But I will work on the two independently before mixing them! Thanks again!

…if u got those two digis already, all u might miss out on now, is the sonic planet of sampling…
so if another elektron device, dt or ot…
and since ur already used to that workflow and format, a digitakt is the most obvious answer…

1 Like

It depends on what other gear you have at your disposal and what you’d like to accomplish. If you don’t own any other poly synths then I would say the Digitone is crucial. For ME the Digitakt is the best box Elektron ever made, and I love sampling. Sold the Digitone because I didn’t like the sound engine and FM synthesis was a pain. I now have a Digitakt paired with a subtractive synth and a Syntakt.

Your question is a bit like asking the waiter whether you should order the steak or the fish. You’ll figure out your preference eventually.

2 Likes

I think it comes down to how much you are using samples, and can that be handled in a DAW (i.e. Sampler rack in Ableton) or not.

I came up using hardware samplers so I like to have one around, even though all the sounds will end up as tracks in Ableton anyway… I prefer to pitch-shift and manipulate in hardware first. If the Digitakt could sample in stereo it would probably be my first choice… as it is mono I prefer the Toraiz SP-16.

If your choice is between just having two hardware boxes and you can use the DAW for sampling duties, then the ST/DN is definitely the way to go IMO.

1 Like

DN solve one the limitation of the syntakt : track polyphony.
But I prefer to use DN with a keyboard to emphasize that part.
Without I miss something.

1 Like

Try not to overthink this.

First and foremost this should be fun, so personally I’d hook both up together and let loose.

Doesn’t matter at this point if it doesn’t make much sense.

1 Like