What was your first piece of gear?

Still have it. Frankly a great piece of kit and great for learning synthesis. Started having a weird parameter drift issue where the LFO depth would change when you weren’t touching anything – very annoying. Now it lives in my closet and I should probably sell it.

4 Likes

Got this when i was 10 and 30 years later got one again. One of the cheapest synths out there.

2 Likes

AFAIK they’re exactly the same!

1 Like

the UI was pretty great for 1999!

1 Like

true story: my great uncle had that little white casio keyboard that did Sleng Teng. anyway he left me (and my brothers and cousins) each about £14k in his will. sadly in the year or so before he died he went mad and left all of his estate - everything - to a con man so none of us ever got our money. i’m bummed about the money, but far more than that i just wish someone had kept the keyboard

2 Likes

i’ve got a circuit bent crazypitched version of this somewhere. no idea what i called it tho…

It was amazing at the time - think I’ve posted this on Elektronauts before but still got some Music 2000 tunes lying around! @adfielding kindly cleaned up my cassettes with iZotope RX a while back. It’s all stock loops but makes for a lovely bit of nostalgia :content:

3 Likes

That’s a fucking bummer, I’m sorry your great uncle got taken to the cleaners. More than anything, it’s just very sad that people like that run around having their way with no discernable consequence unless karma catches up to them (which, no doubt, it eventually does).

this is awesome

3 Likes

i would much prefer the long arm of the law to catch up with them, but i believe in that about as much as i believe in karma :upside_down_face:

First instrument:
Picture 001

First synth:

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe! Good point. I think it had orange plastic, rectangular grip and maybe angling out to the blunt end of a triangle?

It was notable among other cheap casios, “executor” novelty noisemakers, and rayguns in that it seemed more akin to a synthesizer, the noises were pretty weird for a kids’ toy.

Edit: @shigginpit Found it!

Ok, it’d probably be much much much less impressive to me now…

5 Likes

The first musical instrument I owned (that wasn’t a recorder) was a Casio CTK-631. Dinky as hell even for the time period, but was actually surprisingly programmable for what it is. After that it’s been Yamaha (and Roland) workstations mostly with some additional stuff alongside, and none of it has been even close to as tedious to work with as the CTK-631 was. Never have I been afraid of some menu diving after that… :rofl:
It also still exists and is fully functional, given to a friend’s kid to learn to play the keys on a couple of years back and works a treat for that, ha!

1 Like

I got a SU10 in 96 when I was 19. Super limited, but sounded amazing.

5 Likes

Pretty sure my first bit of kit was one of these, I think 1st or 2nd grade:

One voice and never stayed in tune. :rofl:

First thing I could plug in and turn I think was a Roland XP-50. I got the XP-50, an SH-101 and TR-727 all within in very short time of each other, but I believe the XP-50 was first.

2 Likes

I was just about to post that but you found it first, they used it on the stern show as a noisemaker.

The Sound Gizmo: An Iconic Stern Show Artifact | Howard Stern

beat me to the lunch! nice work lol

3 Likes

Ah wild, I didn’t know that either! I first found it at some large charity rummage sale as a kid and kept it until I finally couldn’t resuscitate it.

1 Like

Yamaha C40 (nylon string acoustic guitar) and Rebirth on the family Pentium.

Korg Polysix that I picked up at a pawnshop for $90 in 2003 after a little while it succumbed to the notorious battery leak issue which at the time I didn’t know how to repair so I ended up trading it to someone who did for a mint condition red a Roland SH101 and Korg Microkorg

3 Likes

Actually my first gear was software.

1 Like

Dr55, 1986. The start of my drum machine journey.