What was your first piece of gear?

7 Likes

Earliest recording thingy

First software

First hardware

First Elektron :sunglasses:

monomachine-sfx60

14 Likes

First music gear was a guitar. First gear I started to make electronic music with, was an Amiga 500 with a Sampler-Adapter early 90th.
Then came no hardware other than a midi keyboard, first Cubase, later Logic for ages, and when I started to really dig into electronic music, I bought a Digitakt.

1 Like

BOSS SP FUCKING 303 !!!

I made that shit bleed for many years. It was awesome and i’m sure still kinda is.

I sold it to fund other gear. Regreting it ever since…

4 Likes

we used to use this one on playstation back in the day, I assume it’s a rebranding of the same game/software.

4 Likes

what a beast! wish i hadn’t circuit bent it to death!

5 Likes

I still have a pss-140 that I use on a regular basis just to figure out melodies in polyphony without using octave up/down on elektron trigs. I keep thinking about buying one of the midi retrofit kits but like you say, I don’t want to mess with it too much especially since I got it in the 90’s and it’s still working.

my first bit of gear was a Yamaha PSS-51, i was suckered in, believing it to be a synth because it offered “vector synthesis” which was actually a joystick that let you crossfade between the different PCM pianos, marimbas, and pipe organs. was a bit disillusioned but sold it and got a Casio CZ-3000. now that was a synth to put hairs on your chest

2 Likes

oh lol i didn’t even see this post before writing my PSS-51 rant!!

vector synthesis was just a 4 voice blender.

i liked it really low down, some crazy aliasing!

i loved the electronic kick drum on it but it didn’t doof hard enough so i used to layer four or five MIDI notes on top of each other in the belief it made it louder

haha. yeah it was a certain sound. cowboy vibe!?

the sequencer was pretty raw…

i don’t think i used the sequencer, i did all my sequencing using Breakthru on the Atari ST, which i still maintain was the absolute pinnacle of MIDI sequencing and will never be bested

As a kid, I owned a handheld noisemaker that was a different oscillators, modulators, pitch knobs, and I absolutely can’t think of what it was called but I LOVED it until it died. It was the size of a longer tricorder, not the chip made famous for the 80s “ray-gun” and “blast people on the road” noises and later use in dub sirens :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish I could find it! I’d probably be hella disappointed considering what I own now, but I would love to find it again.

was it the radio shack thing? I’m blanking on the name but I could probably find it. what color was it?

1 Like

Casio SK-5 (35years ago :open_mouth:)

8 Likes

Still have it. Frankly a great piece of kit and great for learning synthesis. Started having a weird parameter drift issue where the LFO depth would change when you weren’t touching anything – very annoying. Now it lives in my closet and I should probably sell it.

4 Likes

Got this when i was 10 and 30 years later got one again. One of the cheapest synths out there.

2 Likes

AFAIK they’re exactly the same!

1 Like

the UI was pretty great for 1999!

1 Like