What setup would you make if you only had 1000€?

Or this, which gives you drums, sample playback, and a polyphonic synth. (of which I have the Model:Samples and Modal Skulpt). Forgetting about recording and cables this time. Still money left over for headphones.

Model:Samples:€438.50
Modal Skulpt: €306.50
SubZero SZ-MIX08USB 8-Channel Mini Mixer:
€79.80
Arturia KeyStep:€111.00

Total: €936.49 inc VAT and shipping (it should be €935.80, but Gear4Music seem to add a few cent for “producer recycling fund” to each item).

Digitakt $750
iPhone se $130
Moog Filtatron app $5
Moog Animoog for iPhone $5
Apple earbuds (free w/ iPhone and everyone listens to music on these anyway)
Cables & adapters $25
The rest of the money would go to paying a friend to record and produce my performance. :smiley:

Ot1 second hand
Barbados xo 20th anniversary
and i go to @sezare56 to celebrate :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t like this enough!

1 Like

MPC Live (got mine under a $1000 new on sale if that counts) and a cheap acoustic guitar.

4 Likes

Laptop.

1 Like

Soma Lyra 8
Korg Volca Drum

3 Likes

Depends on the music i want to make…which Genres?

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t even start thinking about a studio setup if I’d be limited to a 1000€ budget! I’ve learned throughout the years that “buying cheap” usually means “buying twice.”

Not to say that 1000€ is not a sizable amount of money, it’s just not enough to bring together two or three quality components (especially if buying used is note an option).

BUT regardless, if I absolutely HAD to stick to 1000€, I’d probably get a sample based drum machine/groovebox + a sound source of some kind.

Given the current prices at Thomann here in Germany, that means I’d buy a Digitakt for 699€ (I could also go TR8/TR8S, but one is not flexible enough and the other one is just as expensive as the Digitakt) and an Audiothingies Micromonsta for 303€ (I’d rather get a Dreadbox synth, but it wouldn’t add up).

Why Digitakt? ‘Cause it’s a great drum machine and one-shot player and its sequencer is obviously very nice.

Why the Micromonsta? 8-voices, good sound, portable, just about within the price range.

Ok I went 2€ over, I’d skip the coffee on my way to the DHL collection shop to balance it out :slight_smile:

The alternative is to buy an Ibanez AS93 + Blackstar HT-5R and just make music the old fashioned way…or get a decent classical guitar, eg a Hofner HZ27 and “invest” the rest in betting shops on Sonnenallee here in Berlin, then play the classical on a park bench by the canal, lamenting the loss of all the teams I bet on…

Ah music…

2 Likes

Alrighty then!

DAW less Setup:
Digitakt 679€
Zoom R8 279€
Superlux HD 681 Evo 29,90€
= 987,90€

DAW Setup:
Propellerheads Reason 10 279€ (currently on Sale)

HP 250 G7 (15,6 Zoll / FHD) Business Laptop (Intel Core i5-8265U, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel UHD Grafik 620, Windows 10 Home) 499€

Arturia MiniLab mk2 99€
Superlux HD 681 Evo 29,90€
906,90€

1 Like

Or Exchange Reason with Fruity Loops Producer Edition 199€…

For that money,

I’d buy some Neumann headphones (the only FLAT frequency response headphones in existence), and use an iPad with apps and maybe a midi keyboard with drum pads.

But that’s just me - I can’t deal with inaccurate monitoring.

1 Like

A second hand Yamaha QY-700 to be the brain of the whole operation ≈ 400€
A second hand Roland rompler for polyphonic sounds ≈ 150-200€
A second hand multi-effect for fx ≈ 150-200€
A second hand MiniBrute/Bass Station II or similar to be the analog bass/solo sound and the midi-keyboard/controller 250-300€
Cockos Reaper license 50€

Drums are missing from this equation but I’d use the QY drums or the ones in the rompler.
That’s actually quite close to my own setup if I didn’t have these Elektron-boxes and OP-1.

6 Likes

Battery powered… portable… powerful… looper… good base to expand from… under e1k:

MPC Live fits the bill pretty well. Seems around 950euro.

Only need headphones, and an SSD or external drive.

2 Likes

I would buy used, but if I had to buy new, I would do something like the below.
I mainly make boom bap, hip hop, trip hop & a little bit of techno type tracks. I also like to have fun, play & I love variety.

Sp-404sx - $392
Microfreak - $300
PO-12 Rhythm - $60
PO-33 K.O. - $90
PO-14 Sub - $50
Volca Keys - $150
AKG K240 headphones - $70

Around $8 left over :sunglasses:

Might do the Dude mixer for $100 instead of the PO-33 K.O. (5 channel mono mixer that’s awesome).

Currently out of the above I have the sp404sx, K.O., Dude & AKG headphones. Never used the other stuff.

Would use as follows (I think all would be fun to play with) -

Headphones to hear :slightly_smiling_face:

Sp404sx as my main tool to build tracks, it’s a great sampler, fun to make songs on & it has a lot of effects, so I would also use it for sound design & live play (a lot of sample memory as well).

Microfreak for synth sounds.

PO-12 for drums.

PO-14 for bass.

Volca Keys for analog.

If I got the Dude, I would use it to plug the Microfreak, PO’s & Volca into then plug the Dude into the sp-404sx that way I wouldn’t have to unplug anything making a quicker workflow. It’s a great portable mixer, I really like how it sounds (it has a few tricks too, if you peak it, it adds a nice distortion & when it’s overloaded with sound it starts to lower other sounds giving it a pumping/compression type effect).

If I got the K.O. I would use it as another sampler (I love samplers), I really love it’s sound & the 404sx doesn’t pitch, but the K.O. does, which I really need, so thinking about it, I would probably get the K.O. instead of the Dude mainly because of the pitch feature.

Novation circuit and sigaborts editor as vst, au or mobile.
Digitakt.
Cables.
Way under 1000, everything covered.

1000€ to USD is currently $1,124.40
TR-8 - $499.99
SH01A - $379.99
Volca FM - $149.99
M-Audio axiom air mini 32 midi controller - $92.00
Ableton Live Lite (Free) using TR8 to stream it’s drum tracks over usb, and use ext. inputs as interface.
GRAND TOTAL = $1121.97
Use the remaining $2.43 to grab a tall boy, and then start jammin.

2 Likes

Probably an OT2. And just use free samples.

2 Likes

A circuit is 280€ and a Digitakt is 699€, and Sigabort editor is 25 pounds (28€) which totals 1008€, which is over 1000€, sorry ! :laughing: