What’s your single favorite preset on any synth you’ve owned?

Mine is the ob6 patch #7. I think a lot of people feel that way. That patch is magic, and sold me on that synth completely. Anyone have a favorite patch/preset that blows them away?

4 Likes

Ha. I was going to comment ol’ 007 on the OB6. Beautiful patch that instantly oozes emotion.

I’m a big fan of “Broken Brass” on the Digitone!

4 Likes

The ”Soundtrack” -preset on Roland JX8P is the pad sound I always compare other pad sounds to. Nothing has beaten it yet.

3 Likes

Another DS instrument lover. To me its a original sequence on patch no 087 on the Prophet 6. That sequence and the way filters can work on this patch sold me immediatlley.

Probably a bit of sentimentality here as it was my first hardware synth, but my favourite is “Airports” on the original Micromonsta, a brooding dark pad, love it. I recreated it on my Peak, but it’s not quite the same

2 Likes

TX81Z. Lately Bass. Nuff said.

8 Likes

It’s a cracker for sure.

1 Like

usually if its got some name relating to aliens or outer space

Dunno bout absolute favourite but I was completely blown away by the Gods Bathtub combi patch on an old pawn shop Triton I’d picked up.

There were one or two of special note on the M3m that replaced it (River of Sapphires) but I’m not sure how I’d compare.

As fabulous as the Montage sounds, it seems to be missing something compared to the older Korgs - naive enthusiasm maybe?

1 Like

I can’t pick one.

1. “What the…” on the Alpha Juno 2, for the way it’s woven through techno and club culture.
  2. “Delicious Saw” on the Prophet Rev2. It’s so simple, but so gorgeously expressive.

ADDENDUM: The OB-6 #7 sound others have bigged up in this thread sounds similar to “Delicious Saw”. You’d use them the same way in the same kinds of compositions. Interesting! The OB-6 one’s nicer, a little more sparkly and alive.

4 Likes

I’m sure I could dig and find better examples but the first that come to mind are Digitone’s Grumlig patch, yum. And there’s an Ableton pad sound…not sure which pack or synth is at the heart but it’s called ‘Big Major 9ths’ or something similar. Also yum.

What’s a preset?

:wink:

Cheers!

4 Likes

noun

/ˈprēˌset/

1. a setting on a device that is adjusted or applied before use or by the manufacturer, especially on electronic audio or video equipment.

“if you don’t like the presets, you can customize your own”

1 Like

Ah, good to know. Weird. Thanks. :wink:

Cheers!

2 Likes

OB6 preset 7 is a classic!

Currently loving 1 and 77 on the Deckard’s Dream

Got a recording anywhere?

1 Like

It could be interesting to include a snippet of the Preset. Something to feed the GAS.

2 Likes

This.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly! :grinning:

1 Like

Not really a preset per se, but TB-303 square wave is one of my favourites, it has a skewed top and a distinctive hollow quality that is fairly unique, it responds well to filtering and works nice for bass or lead sounds equally.

4 Likes