What’s your Key Index (KI)?

CI - 4
KI - 37
SVI - est 230 (most of which are Deluge & MC-707 64+128 iirc)

Good thread!

2 Likes

i forgot to count Roland MC-80 EX (+64 voices).
B4000+ is said to emulate all 91 tone wheels of Hammond organ, so if we assume 91 for it, then my SVI is 973.

damn, i should order something else (MC-101 ?) to come over 1000.

1 Like

:open_mouth: maybe of a different generation too? Perhaps one day if I have a big yard and never sell a vehicle I own… seems unlikely though.

I was thinking about this thread because I’ve been having some thoughts about switching gear around and paring back a bit.

So, at present:

CI 4 - wouldn’t mind a fun 6 though :wink:
KI 88 - MIDI keyboard
VI 49 - just synth voices, TX802+NR2+A4+0C+L8 <- this is too many methinks.

1 Like

KI :44 (Pro 2). Why aren’t we counting mini or slim keys? I have 32 more there with NI M32.

VI: 39
12 (MKS70) + 4 (counting Pro 2 as 4 due to superwaves + individually gated envelopes) + 1 (typhon) + 8 + 8 (2x OT) + 6 (M:S)
Not counting that I also regularly use 8 voices of Repro-5 and 6 voices of OB-Xa V, both controlled via SFC-5 hardware.

CI = 9.
(2002 VW Golf GLS, 2009 Subaru Forster X, 2021 Honda Lawnmower)

What about the most important index of all? Knob index. The total amount of pots is the real measure of the gear and studio! hehe.

CI = 9
KI = 125
VI=36 if i dont count modular and Force. Force could do alot, but dont have a hard limit. In my small modular i can make atleast 4 voices at once.

PI = Pot/knob index = 977

1 Like

Is the CI meant to be the total for all vehicles you’ve owned in your lifetime?
That’s the only way I can see it getting close to age, and I think I have heard of something similar before.

That will make some people’s KI etc insanely high and probably hard to calculate.

KI: 550 or so
VI: 820 or so
CI: 7 unleaded, 5 diesel.

1 Like

Nope, you got to own ‘em right now ! They don’t have to be working though.

I’d count keys and voices on a classic dead synth too that you just can’t part with. And count all the synths that sit in a box somewhere too. Those all really count, you’re devoted enough to hold on to stuff, just because !

To help us out here’s a forum, where they really show pride in their cylinder count:

Do you know your Cylinder Index? — The Garage Journal

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

My Box Synths —Two Yamahas:

• TX81Z
  • VL70-m (A Patchman Turbo Edition)

Yamaha sure knew how to name ‘em. Yamahas are good for keys, voices and cylinders !

1 Like

It could take some time too add up all my keys (it will take some time!) but for starters I’ve got a cylinder index of 6. And what a beautiful sonorous sound those 6 make. Especially when cold.

1 Like

KI = 296 (more if including smaller keys and/or nonmechanical keys or buttons)
VI = 173 (My digital synths rack them up here. Counting hardware only, not MPC, pedals with synth voices, VSTs, etc.)
CI = 4 (a Prius)

This. When I look at my setup I think there’s no way my KI can be as high as it is but it’s the keyboards I don’t keep out that do it. The broken Ensoniq Mirage and (only slightly broken) Kurzweil K1000 in the garage. The the replaced but still lingering Argon8 in the attic waiting for some aspiring young kid to give it a new home. The CZ5000, SQ1+, DX7 that come out of the closet annually for a sampling spree. If I still lived in a city these would probably have been traded away for other gear by now but nobody wants stuff like this where I live so it’s easier to just store it. The guilt is strong.

1 Like