What’s the crown jewel of your gear collection?

Like it says on its front panel: Oxford Synthesiser Company OSCar
https://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/oscar.php

4 Likes

My taste in music!

1 Like

What Peter wrote. OSCar is a digital/analog hybrid monosynth from 1983, with both subtractive and programmable additive synthesis. It was designed by Chris Huggett who also designed the Wasp, and a lot of Novation products.

2 Likes

Definitely my Rytm for gear that gets consistent use. Runner up would be my Fender 2000 D10 pedal steel from 1969 which I need to spend a lot more time learning to play.

1 Like

Moog Matriarch :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve mentioned it in other threads: RA-99, without a doubt.

1 Like

here it is just the rytm. I’m glad to have him again and to have delved deeper into the matter. i think it’s clear to everyone here that you don’t just turn on rytm and immediately get good results. so it’s just that i’m satisfied with all the machines now, after i’ve experimented a lot and got quick results - this noise generator, vco and click really does a lot… now i still have to learn to keep the BDs in check , they are just too woody for me or simply have too much foundation, but I am sure that the BDs can be done really nicely. if anyone has tips for 808-like kicks, please let us know!

For me it’s a close race between my 1896 Steinway extended upright and my Prophet 10.
One of my earliest memories is watching Talking Heads “Stop Making Sense” with my dad and just being blown away by the sounds that were coming out of the tv. Started my life long obsession with synths and electronic music. When they rereleased the Prophets I knew I had to get one.

5 Likes

Godammit, @Tchu, those are mine too!!

1 Like

Jupiter 8

I have a hard time merging hardware synths into my regular workflow though so as for something that’s absolutely at the center of my making tracks - Maschine Mk III.

2 Likes

i think it’s great that you, as a furman, and your fellow furmen, are largely accepted by society these days. but this is the wrong forum pal

1 Like

Dieter says delete.

1 Like

I have a pair of really expensive monitors that I love dearly which SHOULD be my crown jewel, but the Octatrack still rules supreme for me —nothing gets me as excited about making music just looking at it like the OT does.

2 Likes

I’m right where I intend to be, bud.

As polarizing as it is, This little thing really stands out in my arsenal.

now granted I’m not an audiophile and I don’t have great knowledge regarding mixers… BUT, i find it really easy to get a decent mix, very rarely do I have problems with the mix sounding muddy, I’ve never gotten mixes this good so easily. Even when the mix is super hectic I can still add a lead voice without it drowning, it has honestly really surprised me.

Like I said, I’m no audiophile so you shouldn’t take my word for it. I just really like how it sounds and how little space it takes up!

7 Likes

?

NINCE!
2016 Fender American Pro Jazz Bass (mk1) here, with EB Cobalt Flats. I’ve had many dud Fenders, but this one felt and sounded perfect even before plugging in.
I’d sell my OB-6, before even considering separating the JB from my embrace!

1 Like

Definitely the OT MKI

thanks for this! but I think those weren’t exactly the kicks I need. now I happened to see an old video of cenk and simon again. here at minute 10:43 simon shows a really effective setup with the filter and the silky kick. it’s the kick that i actually need for every track. With this filter setting, you can make the kick multifaceted so that it never gets boring. so a lot of different subkicks. I had previously used the filter in a completely different way for the kicks.

once you have your sounds under control via the rytm and quickly know where to go, then the machine becomes really powerful.

this beauty, mostly because of how long it took to make, how much effort finding 8 original SID chips to put in it was and how much it stretched my soldering skills at the time.
But also because three note chords with six detuned/panned SID oscillators per note sounds GREAT.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582

5 Likes