What’s on your mixbuss plugin chain?

Curious to see other people’s setups whether in the DAW or hardware. Here’s mine (all in the DAW):

For self-mastering:

• Airwindows PurestConsoleBuss (console emulator)
  • Nugen Stereoizer (stereo widener)
  • TDR Kotelnikov GE (mastering compressor)
  • Gullfoss (“intelligent” EQ)
  • Vertigo VSM-3 (saturation)
  • TDR SlickEQ M (mastering EQ)
  • Airwindows ToTape (tape saturation)
  • TDR Limiter 6

If I’m sending my track out as a mixdown to be sent out for professional mastering then the mixbuss is much more minimal:

• Airwindows PurestConsoleBuss (console emulator)
  • Vertigo VSM-3 (saturation)
  • Nugen Stereoizer (stereo widener)
  • Gullfoss (“intelligent” EQ)

Utility / metering plugins used:

• Nugen Visualizer
  • Youlean Loudness Meter
  • SPAN
1 Like

Hardware mix bus= nothing.
Software mix bus = nothing.

7 Likes

Minimalist. I like the less is more approach.

I myself typically reach for Limiter 6 GE. That’s about it. I did just purchase Kush Omega 458a and am playing around with it on the master, just a smidge.

Why? :thinking:

This is the way.images (9)

1 Like

Pro Q3 to cut lows and especially cut lows that are stereo to preserve mono compatibility. J37 from Waves for some saturation and to give the whole tracks something that all elemts share. And then just a simple limiter that comes with Studio One. It’s hard to gauge how levels are after a tracks gets blown up to full size. Some elements seem to become louder than others.

Same.

1 Like

I’ve gone back to the stock plugins, I have Ableton 9:
EQ8 to mono the bass -> EQ3 to change the color of the mix -> Glue Compressor with low ratio and softclip on -> Limiter set at -1dB -> VUMT calibrated at the desired level

The only things I do are setting the compressor threshold so I get -2 or -3db of gain reduction and set the compressor output so that I ride the 0 on my VUMT, that way I compress, clip and limit, get a loud enough track and protect the true peak level.

I’ve realised I had trouble hearing all the fancy mastering trickery I see people do on videos so I might as well keep things simple.

1 Like

Only use stock plugins from Cubase. The new 11 update came with some interessting updates to some plugins, and they added a multiband widener.

My setup is mostly hardware first, then plugins for the “mastering” bit.

Ghost mixer -->
Analog heat -->
Warm audio Bus Comp -->
Cubase

Then into
Frequency -->
Imager -->
Tube comp at -1 db compression -->
Magneto saturation -->
Brick wall limiter

Been impressed with the stock plugins. Especially after they came with the integrated channel strip in cubase. Doesnt change the sound, but makes it easier to use.

Same

This is my current most used chain of Soft & Hardware. It depends on the song if I use them all or not.

SW: Fabfilter Pro Q3 for cleaning up
SW: bx digital v3 for optimizing the M/S relation
SW: Zynaptiq Intensity for maximizing the punch
HW: SSL Fusion for punch and polishment
HW: Tegeler Audio Manufacture cream rc for glueing and polishment
SW: Fabfilter Pro L 2 for limiting and loudness
SW: Hofa IQ Analyzer for checking against other songs

2 Likes

You have the “high end” version of my setup. haha

1 Like

was about to give the same answer :upside_down_face:

All used super subtly, but the chain is simple:

EQ > Saturator > Compressor > EQ > Limiter

2 Likes

Do you use Fusion and Cream together, or either one of them depending on what you are after?

i use them together. they both have a 2-band eq but they sound very different.

the cream is an insert for the fusion and i can choose if its pre or post its eq. its a real nice combination and i wasnt able to reproduce its gentle but powerfull sound even with the best software plugins I have. its also very easy to use, as the range of the knobs is wide and you hear the sweet spot quite easily.

1 Like

Usually have a FMR RNC on Master Insert.
Using the RNC as a mix glue when tracking through main outs on the MIDAS through MOTU UltraLite Mk3. Sometimes side chained :slight_smile:
Then software wise, it is usually a combination of EQ, Saturator, Compressor/Limiter.
In no particular order or rule. As always :slight_smile:

I usually put an EQ, binaural pan, Soundtoys Decapitator or a tape saturation…

I am a fan of nothing as well but a few tweaks can help make your sound distinguished.

Different every time. But I’ll always have trash2 or black box hg2, shadow hills (this being the biggest must) and ozone in there.

1 Like

My new mix bus template

Bettermaker EQ232D > Blackbox HG-2MS > Shadow Hills Class A > Amek EQ200 > Newfangled Elevate > Izotope Tonal Balance 2 > MetricAB