What piece of gear did you buy that you absolutely did not like?

I bought the M8 and fell in love with the actual device. It might be the nicest object I’ve ever touched. Even now I miss the feel of it in my hands and the feel of its buttons. What a beautiful thing.

It was my first foray into the tracker paradigm, which I didn’t enjoy at all. I knew that might be the case and I sold it on for what I paid for it, but I wish my brain worked that way because I miss holding that thing in my hands.

Edit: not a knock in any way on the M8 or it’s software… more a knock on my inability to think a certain way.

7 Likes

MPC 500, hated it. Slow, everything about it was so clunky and just a pain in the ass with all the menu diving. This is someone who loves MPCs and came from 2500 but 500 is a stinker.

Miniak - first hardware synth, hell no again with the all the menu diving. Its built well and it sounded alright at the time but I was young, but coming from vst to hardware because I wanted knobs to fiddle with. With the Miniak it was such a pain in the ass to program, or getting into parameters.

Microsampler - this is hard, it had some cool features, but again it was hampered by the menu diving and small screen for values. Missing certain features but the fact you could chop with keys on the fly was super cool.

2 Likes

VX90

Life is too short.

Microfreak - I hated the sound of that thing. It seems universally loved and trotted out as a great synth for beginners, but to my ears it sounded dreadful. I have lots of cheapish synths and bleepy boxes, so I’m not exactly comparing it to a Prophet or Jupiter

The Microfreak was so weak and washed out sounding, you’d have to pile on so much EQ and effects to get it to sound like anything at all.
Sure it had loads of features and on the face of it seemed like a steal for the price, but was probably the only thing I’ve owned (and sold!) I truly hated

2 Likes

Minilogue XD - The keys and envelopes weren’t for me.
DrumBrute Impact - Lockdown impulse buy.
MPK249 - Keys were great but didn’t age well with a lot of software. (could very well be operator error)

2 Likes

There are very few pieces of gear that I couldn’t find any redeeming qualities in, but the few that I tried to bond with and just couldn’t are:

Roland MC-707. On paper, this thing seemed like a dream come true. I had the MC-101 first and despite the clunky workflow, was liking how quick it was as a sketchpad. I thought the tones that I was getting out of it were decent and upgrading to the MC-707 would be even more productive. It actually went the opposite way. As soon as I got the MC-707, I literally dreaded using it and found it to be super annoying to actually use to create. Navigating to the various pages was tedious, I didn’t like using the pads to play melodic content, the screen was too small, everything felt like it was in the wrong place, the whole machine felt too big and after a while, I barely turned it on while continuing to use the MC-101. I wish there was a machine that took some ideas from the MC-707 and some from the SH-4D and combined them into one device. Neither hit the mark for me.

Polyend Play. Another groovebox that I was incredibly excited to get after watching some demos and then just found incredibly tedious to use. The grid of buttons were too small, the OS wasn’t fully developed (this was before a few of the updates so the feature set was smaller), the effects were limited to presets only, and in general I found the way you had to select what sample you were editing every time tedious. I didn’t end up making anything worthwhile with it and regretted trading my Digitakt for it. I also thought the screen was placed in a weird position.

Akai MPC One. My experience with the MPC One came after using the MPC-1000 as my main groovebox for about five years on a near daily basis. I was incredibly excited with the possibilites of the One but again, found actually using it quite tedious. There were too many menus to sort through, I didn’t like editing the synths / plugins with just four encoders, I found many things about it needlessly confusing, and in the end, it died on me before I was about to take it on a short tour and I ended up having to go back to using Ableton, which ultimately ended up being for the better. I just feel like, as the sonic possibilities of the MPC have expanded with the plugins and all the effects, they need to update how you interact with the machine besides the touchscreen and four Q-link knobs (obviously on the larger models, this is already remedied). It felt like using an incredibly powerful tool but interacting it with it through a tunnel system I didn’t want to navigate. I did end up using it for quite a few things but it ultimately wasn’t worth the hassle.

7 Likes

Microkorg for synths and Endorphin.es Ground control sequencer the user experience is not for me. Same for Malekko Variagate 4, Malekko Quad Envelope. I plan to sell these items. I also have a love hate relationship with VPME Euclidian Circles but the lightshow is great and I can always tweak fun beats with it.

I had the exact same feeling using the Yamaha Reface DX. But for some reason, the Microfreak has a specific sound palette I find very usable in my work. It’s hard to know for sure if a specific synth will fit your workflow or not.

1 Like

OXI Coral - super versatile, and I like the sounds, but the UI… so annoying. It would really benefit from having a tiny screen (e.g. Pam’s Pro Workout), especially for configuring “parts”. The whole dial+ring of coloured LEDs is a PITA.

Haven’t sold it, but it just sits there in my rack, staring at me, judging me.

i’ve usually been able to choose wisely and be satisfied but a couple things come to mind that I really disliked:

Audiothingies Micromonsta 2 - hated the interface and thought it sounded very average and after reading so many rave reviews i was disappointed

Novation bass station2 - wanted to love this but could never get much past “it’s ok”. Something about it just never felt right with me

Beatstep pro on release - buggy hell

Microfreak - the osc engine sounded so weak. Filter was good. Overall meh though

6 Likes

Almost all the recent Roland stuff, actually. I am just not wired correctly for their menu’s, annoying software UI’s and the poor manuals.

Had a brief fling with the MC-707, but that also ran off the rails because of quirks and too much menu diving.

One exception: the E-4!

2 Likes

Rytm made me realise I hate Digitakt :zonked:

9 Likes

oh f*k :grimacing::joy:

2 Likes

What‘s wrong compared to Rytm?

2 Likes

8d3tks

11 Likes

@Jeanne is allowed to say this.

Others: don’t get cocky

13 Likes

I’m genuinely interested, from a feature/workflow point of view

Indeed, because most days I feel the reverse.

@Jeanne in this thread:

20 Likes

Wouldn’t say I hate it, but I definitely didnt see what all the fuss is about. Didnt keep the digitakt for very long, I have an Octatrack, and a cracking drum machine and a bunch of killer synths. Digitakt is basically irrelavant for me.

2 Likes