What non-Elektron gear do you think Elektron users prefer?

Talk about being hard to describe. From memory I’d say the mopho has more depth to its frequency spectrum, and a gnarly character that differs from the gnarlyness of the A4.

Really hard to explain, i have a few analogs and they all sound different to each other :sweat_smile:

Edit: but i haven’t put them side by side, so I’ll see if i can get that done at some point and actually compare :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have approximately 30 external effects and I tried a lot of them. I think that everything is related to your needings. Right now I have two main pedal chain: a mono only pedalboard built for guitar (but I can use it also for process external signals) and a stereo only pedalchain built for Daw: Enzo->Particle->Ottobit->SpecularTempus->StrymonNightsky. In general I could say that the absolute greatest (digital) pedal of all times is hands-down the HXStomp and the best “single” pedals are the Chase Bliss.

1 Like
  • FX pedals
  • MIDI controllers
  • Polysynths
3 Likes

The Virus is a great synth, but, alas, no sequencer. However, with the Digitakt and the Digitone, problem solved.
The Subharmonicon takes the sequencer to a whole new level. Recently, I’ve been using the Subharmonicon to also sequence the Mother 32 via the patchbay and have 2 completely different sounds in the same polyrhythmic sequence. Plus, the two sounds don’t have to have the same pan setting, cutoff frequency on the filter, envelope settings, etc.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed a lot of people on here are bassists who own at least one electric bass (guilty).

Also seems like nearly everyone owns a guitar.

Lots of love for the various compressors from FMR.

I’ve also noticed I’m not the only one who likes to how the simplicity/immediacy of a 404-type sampler complements the rigidity of the Elektron sequencer.

2 Likes

So what you’re saying is, I should pass my Elektrons through my ESX?

It’s got tubes in it!

[/scarcasm]

2 Likes

Only talking for myself, I find Elektron gear has lots of real strengths and if I want more of that thing, I will now probably just go to Elektron for more of it. By ‘that thing’ I mean great modulation routing and sequencing, really robust rhythmical sequencing, easily adjustable sounds that sound great, Overbridge, great utility in easy reach, data structures that you can navigate very quickly when you understand them, etc.

So for me, other gear is a way to explore outside of these areas, either leveraging what my Elektron gear can do with external control or internal routing, or adding something that they lack. The big two for me are my PreenFM2 for polyphony, cycling envelopes, complex patch design that can be modulated and automated via the Elektron sequencer, and my Quadrantid Swarm which gives me a great but idiosyncratic tweak synth clocked and triggered by my AK but requiring no menu diving to move from one sound to another.

Why the sarcasm? Sounds like a great idea!

2 Likes

I think elektron users should spend some time with a Waldorf synth. It doesn’t need to be an expensive one either.

I think the other big is maybe cirklon, I’d say if you’ve been a diehard elektron user for a few years toss yourself on the wait list. If you have the time and money when your turn comes around it can be a breath of fresh air.

definitely eurorack as when I first experienced Elektron gear my synth friends all have tons of modular gear. Also Virus was super popular and many Elektron friends had Virus synthesizers.

Waldorf is nice but I ended up with a Virus instead. Tried the Iridium was cool. Liked the Blofeld years ago as well. Good bang for buck that Waldorf Blofeld in spite of its quirks.

2 Likes

I had a Pulse 2, the filters and it all sounded great, but it was my first synth at the time, I didn’t get it all. I just couldn’t make it sing without a computer, there was really no jamming involved. Then I went the Roland route and found I was trying to replicate what techno sounded like when I was younger, which wasn’t my goal either - 909, sh101, behringer clones 303 and so on. Now I’m a firm believer that formulaic music with gear, where people just had these things at the time and had to do it that way, is not necessarily great when there’s so much to explore musically. What would I prefer? Novation Peak, ASM Hydrasynth, Pro 3, 0-coast.

3 Likes

Two additions that survived my GAS recovery/treatment are the Roland MC-707 (Zen-Core, Multi-FX/Scatter mangling, high polyphony) and the Roland TR-8S (Roland classics ACB). I’ve got MC-707 hooked up to RYTM, and TR-8S into Syntakt. One more is the 1010 Lemondrop, but I use it a little less frequently.

Mixers! Elektron needs to make that performance mixer with an integrated sequencer :pray:

8 Likes

Could also be interesting. Sounds like a new topic …?

3 Likes

That would be a great topic, plus some free market research for Elektron. Maybe any common issues raised would be addressed in future firmware/new releases if Elektron knew for certain “this is why I sold my Elektron gear”. In short, everyone wins!

4 Likes

I can’t understand why anyone would sell their Elektron gear when you can download the manual and know exactly what it does before you buy it. I’m so glad I bought mine before the prices went up.

Usually they run out of channels, or want stereosamples, and so on.

Mpc 2xl - definitely an influence on elektron and of course ableton. So feels elektron.

Ensoniq asr10/eps influenced the ot (track resampling ) grains and effect tracks

Poly end tracker - best of both and those words. Feels very elektron, ensoniq and mpc.
Trackers in general, link in.

Jupiter 6, currently using the cherry jp6 vsti. It’s a beast, Such a drex synth. Have used the original jp6 with the monomachine sequencing the jp6.
Which was awesome.

I like to use ‘things’ that have linage to the elektrons.

Mmm, poly6 is in there somewhere. So too the dx100, which I dislike.

Also weirdly, the synthi seems to relate well to the mduw and monomachine.

to speak about myself:

• all kinds of small/tiny desktop synths
  • synth-based grooveboxes (contrary to sample-based) – Rolands, Novations, Electribes
  • Roland HandSonic HPD-15 – my favorite percussion instrument ever.
1 Like