What makes eurorack "special"?

I’m not aware of daft punk being really into randomness- maybe I’m wrong about them.

When I think crazy modular band, I never think Daft Punk, as their music seems really purposeful vs the more Aphex Twin which is Circklon and Autechre which is, as I understand it, on the more generative side of things.

Maybe you’re trying to have a more accidental flair to daft punk, then- what you’re aiming for- needs greater definition

Lol. I’m actually reviewing Daft Punks discography to challenge my beliefs about them :grinning:

Edit:

Obviously Random Access Memories is less electronic than their earlier stuff- so definitely not generative or random.

Homework- seems like pretty straightforward techno

Discovery- I’ve listened to this enough to know that there’s nothing random about this outside of maybe initial impressions of Face 2 Face(which is actually pretty sequential on repeat listens)

Human After All- I’ve heard this one before. But Technologic seems to be the more eclectic track I remember from this track- general songwriting with layers.

Yeah, if you’re aiming for Daft Punk, you’re going the wrong route

1 Like

Its ability to make people who don’t use it kinda angry about its existence.

15 Likes

custom routing options is a unique feature of eurorack systems. For example, matrix mixers let you mix modulation, control voltage and sound sources in modular systems that do not really exist in most hardware fixed synthesizers. Also the ability to put together your very own custom build synthesizer in lego blocks pf modules that you want. So if I want 12 different complex filters, 29 LFOs, a dozen different kinds of oscillators and to add an oscilloscope too.

3 Likes

My feeling is it’s not “Eurorack” that is special but it’s the modular nature. It just happens that Eurorack is the most popular format. What make (some) modular brands special for me are:

1. Not separating the audio and control signal types - you don’t have to worry about breaking your modules and just let chances guide you sometimes!
  2. You can micro control your control module that control your control module… ver easily.
  3. No alias (in analog land, at least)
  4. The basic/low level modules together give you amazing flexibility - even passive switches could give you incredible way to interact with and shape the sound. Switches, matrix mixers, clock dividers are high on my list.
  5. tactile feel where (at least theoretically) you know that this knob does this. Of course, once you assign that knob to control the control signal of the control signal, what you think you know is often wrong :laughing:
4 Likes

to create something like this that lights up like the command deck of the Starship Enterprise or looks like the Death Star command center

I get lots of interest when people visit my studio and see this

3 Likes

Which is nullified if no one actually visits you :grinning:

(My issue)

3 Likes

Genuine reaction tho:.

That looks awesome as a layman

But my experience with modular makes it look like a nightmare

2 Likes

It gets easier with practice and experience. My first modular was a very basic Doepfer A100 system in a 6U case with a few basic Doepfer modules like VCO, VCF, LFO, mixer and utility module. I then added a simple step sequencer and added more over time. It is good therapy and less expensive than marriage, kids and divorce plus fixed cost to enjoy for a life time of sound exploration and design. It also made me way more productive on traditional hardware synths like my Elektron gear and Virus synths.

1 Like

What makes eurorack “special"?

The infinite amount of money you can pour at it?

j/k

5 Likes

it allows hiding the inability to compose a tune behind „creative“ generative mess and lots of fancy wires.

PS. when i was there, there was no eurorack fashion yet, so i used to hide it from myself behind other fancy stuff, e.g. esoteric things like csound & supercollider. but that stuf does not look cool :tongue:

1 Like

you forgot to mention tattoos.

Lots of good advice here, I will not “me too” it. A couple of additional points. Eurorack sequencers usually can handle irregular clock, which makes for some interesting experiments. But they tend to be large, expensive, menu-divey, and with limited CV inputs anyway. Don’t expect to be able to do much with a small skiff. I worked with 64hp exclusively last fall (selected from about 400hp, with one oscillator module bought specifically for that period) and, while it was fun, it was pretty limited. It’s different if you have specific modules that go well together or you want a specialized unit to complement other gear. Finally, it is both expensive and addictive, which is not a good combination.

I wrote a chapter on how to simulate a modest starter case with free VCVRack software, with a configuration file you can download, which I would recommend trying before committing to actual hardware.

https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/~plragde/flaneries/FIMS/A_Eurorack_System.html#(part._.Design_experiment__a_free_virtual_starter_case)

5 Likes

For me it was a fun waste of time, until it became dreadful.
Learned a lot about synthesis and myself on that journey.

I don’t really get the hate on modular users but I can see how ppl might consider it a waste of time and money.

Sometimes I still think of getting a small skiff with some weird modules that would prevent me from straying onto the “dream synth” path.

Usually this feeling goes away when trying something new with my existing Elektron boxes.

The thing I enjoyed the most was the ability to modulate the beginning of the signal chain with the output signals by using an envelope follower.

These kind of modulation feedback techniques can create very interesting results.

3 Likes

You stole me the words.
I can add: flexibility. Modular let you reinvent your synth every day. It is endlessly mutable.

1 Like

I owned 2 semi modulars synths (DFAM and Subharmonicon). I never had so much fun with gear but I almost produced nothing with it and for me, it was totally unusable in live.
After that, I discovered Axoloti which is a virtual modular and allows all the modular specificities (modulating everything with audio, making your own audio path, etc…) but allows patch saving. The only limit is CPU.
About the crazy eurorack sequencers, just add a midi processor to any Elektron and you’ll get a lot of these features (random bpm, sequenced bpm).
So for me, what it makes it special, it’s the particular feeling and pleasure you get by physically patching, not the capacities.

2 Likes

The easy answer is that it’s christmas everyday and it can leave you feeling emotionally and financially bereft.

13 Likes

If you can get more sonically pleasing results than you can from virtual modulars such as Reaktor and which are so f-in special they’re worth the many extra dollares and the disadvantage that you can’t save any presets.

The downside is the listener can’t hear all those pretty and impressive flashing lights.

3 Likes

Can we start a gofundme, and instead of selling each module, can we vote on how you destroy each module on camera? This could be your YouTube modular channel.

How much you want to run over a WMD mixer with a lawnmower?

5 Likes