What kind of distortion is introduced by the master overdrive on the Digitone?

In the manual it’s written that the track overdrive introduce clipping distortion.

But does someone know what kind of distortion that’s introduced by the master overdrive? It’s not specified in the manual and it’s not the same distortion as on the track overdrive.

I wonder because it sounds so nice and I wanna know more about it.

2 Likes

Could it be that it sounds different because it drives the whole mix instead of the tracks individually? I don‘t know, just thinking out loud.

I tried that yesterday just to be sure that it’s different by first adding a pure sine wave to the track overdrive and then do the same with the master overdrive and the master overdrive act differently. If you ad the track overdrive to a sine wave that wave becomes a square wave due to the added harmonics and that’s just how clipping distortion works on a sine wave. But it’s not the same effect with the master overdrive.

Both overdrives are really nice and you can use them to apply different results. For example, one of the easiest ways to resemble a square wave with the Digitone its just to add the track overdrive to a sine wave.

To my ears the master overdrive offers a distortion that acts differently and that are more aggressive and sounds more gritty than the track overdrive. The master overdrive introduces more severe beats due to the added harmonics than the track overdrive.

So Oscar A, the guy who designed it- actually let’s refer to him as Daddy Distortion from now on- was a bit secretive about this drive, but the two drives are very similar but have different gain staging (mostly) causing different characteristics.

The type of distortion - if you have to call it something - can be referred to as just overdrive or slight saturation.

Fun fact: Os- I mean- Daddy Distortion also designed all the distortion circuits in the Heat and Drive. He knows his distortion.

31 Likes

Give my compliments to the chef! I’m very happy with the sound of it… that said I keep forgetting about the master drive!

7 Likes

Tack för svaret Simon, då vet jag. Ja Daddy Distortion verkar ju verkligen kunna sitt :grinning:. Grymt bra jobbat med Digitonen i övrigt, den är riktigt trevlig!

I simply love the digitone distortions :blush:

1 Like

you realize, of course, that we now have to start calling you Op Overlord.

1 Like

I use the Digitone distortion… in a way that I discovered accidentally. Once, due to limited mixer channels, I ran an analog drum machine into one of the Digitone’s inputs (sometimes a monosynth into the other) and added some distortion at that point. It has a really nice way of subtly ducking the other parts (because kick is saturating the distortion circuit). It have become a bit addicted to processing my drums this way, because I cant quite recreate it elsewhere. (granted, I have not tried Analog Heat).

4 Likes

Thanks Daddy Distortion! Abusing the shit outta the master overdrive lately.

2 Likes

Theres hardly a situation where master overdrive is not at least on 20-30.
Sounds so good that it makes me on the fence about keeping an old Tascam in the setup.
By just using master overdrive i can offload about 6 things i have to set-up and keep track of.
On lower values it acts as saturation/compression, with very gentle clipping.
Id say it gets me 80% of the way there, when im the only one who knows the difference, might aswell go with more convinient option to have more music made. :sunglasses:

Its also fun to play around with just while designing a single sound, especially since you have two overdrives. (both have different charactrers!)

3 Likes

Yeah, it really crisps things up nicely.