What is your opinion about your own music?

Thank you, sir! I rarely make sense, so I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

hey mate. great topic. so here is my 2ct.

a / b comparison with kraftwerk, diplo, sven vƤth, anthony rother, allen allien ā€¦ goddamnit.

lets not. insert long break here. take a breath.

keep the break

keep breathing.

music has various stages. seriously.

music feels different to people that the music does not like. which means in return, that not all music can be liked by everybody. music is picky, music chooses its audience. ā€¦ if music does not like that redhead, she just will never enjoy Skrillex. Because Skrillex music does not like redheads.

on occasion music does like redheats ā€¦ but only in certain situations.

music has a tripolar disorder. it is not constant. music changes, even tho you are not changing. the same track feels different in the morning than it feels in the afternoon or at night. or after 3 beer or after 12 beer and weed.

imagine music was a chair.

and you job is to make chairs. but you boss tells you to make cheap chairs. crappy stuff. things you would not sit on, because its not a chair for you. the material is smelly, the balbablalbla everything about the chair sucks ass. ikea plus chernowbyl plus hitler made it plus it has shit stains on it. REAL bad chairā€¦

so ā€¦ one day you are being asked: hey, why do you make shit chairs? ā€¦ you respondā€¦ I do it for the moneyā€¦

the next question is: are you happy with you job=?
fuck no! I d rather make something I believe in, and what I enjoy doing while I do itā€¦ I dont care how other people like my chairs, because I , only I need to sit in them, and they need to be comfortable for my ass!

soā€¦ another question is being askedā€¦

hundreds of people every day buy these shit chairs (ikeaapplehitlerchernowbyl) and they are happy to sit on them and spend their money on itā€¦

that is true, but I dont give a fuck about their asses, if they are happy with that shit, fine with me, I get paid at the end of the dayā€¦

but if I could make the chairs that I like, only my ass would like it, nobody would buy it, I d have a blast making these and maybe, just maybe somebody else comes along, (a fellow ass) and enjoys my chair the way I like it.

so, u d rather make 2 chairs a day that only you like and maybe one more person, than making 100 chairs a day that 99 people like , but you dislike?

yes!

ā€¦

so, next story:

go back 20 yearsā€¦ or one of the first times you went to a disco, or clubā€¦ imagine what you future you would tell you ā€¦

boy, one day you ll be sitting at a desk and you will be getting close to sounding like thatā€¦ not exactly like that, but it goes in that direction somewhat ā€¦

you think ā€¦FUCK??? really? me=!==!=!)")!)Ā§)$ what is the magic in that ? can that REALLY happen?

can I be so fucking dope in the future that I ll be a music crafter?

yes!

ā€¦

imagine what had happened if that future self never made it to the young boy ??? ā€¦

selling paper, dunder mifflin ā€¦ be the guy on MadMen who gets pushed around left and right, be a paralized cop who lives next to Peter Griffin ā€¦

it aint so bad being a bedroom producer, is it?

next storyā€¦ I get a track out on youtube, cos I am in the moodā€¦ I show my girlfriend. back in the day me and my mates RAN to the dancefloor and the club was cooking hot when that track was playing ā€¦ I show my girlfriend and ask herā€¦ baby do you feel it ? she says NO. (ups , same story as above ā€¦ I apologize)

next story.

I listen back to my music that I made few weeks back when I commute on my phone with headphones.

it blows me away. almost EVERY time. cant believe I did that.

shall I go on?

5 Likes

man you made me laugh with that chair story :ecstatic: @TrabanT
sometimes this happens with tracks i finish and i forget why i did it in the first placeā€¦
for the sake of my well being and my own enjoyment i make music.

thanx for all your input guys

As creators I think itā€™s easy to think something is bad because you know what you had to leave out, or the stuff that didnā€™t get like you wanted. I have often hated my tracks thinking they were garbage, but when I come back, sometimes years later, they are accually quite interesting.

Iā€™ve worked with a photographer earlier and he said; the true difference from an amateur photographer and a pro is that the pro knows what pictures to show others.
I doubt thatā€™s the whole story, but it is a great point. Iā€™ve often wondered how I could make something nice when I make a lot of shit over periods of time.

Iā€™ve played guitar for longer than synths and skill isnā€™t a curve upwards all of the time. Sometimes it stagnates or even fall you youā€™ve tired your mind on something and lisened yourself deaf.

I think breaks can be very good for creativity. From week, days, to just a walk. Walks are good because your brain relaxes, but itā€™s still thinking about that project youā€™re working on. If you watch TV or sleep it doesnā€™t.

Some of my thoughts on it anyway

2 Likes

Best post ever. Continue.

1 Like

What is my opinion about my own music? I think itā€™s a good ideaā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Considering Iā€™ve produced hit singles, I know Iā€™m great at what I do.

1 Like

My own music evolves all the time.
There are ā€œtracksā€ I like and some I donā€™t like, but I only know this after a few weeks/months because of ear fatigue. The hardest part is getting rid of those half baked ideas and start from zero.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say we def like our tunes. If we didnā€™t like it we would stop or go in a different direction.
The hardest part is hearing it over and over during this process.
But I never wrote a hit so this is just a hobbyist opinion.

1 Like

Letā€™s hear them.

5 Likes

What is your opinion about your own music ?

You just need to be proud when you finish it, Probably impossible to listening it again when itā€™s finished, Satisfied when you listening it again 6 month later or Moreā€¦ And when you start to make it, succeed to finish it without failed because of the perfectionismā€¦ But i think THEN AFTER your music is not yours anymore but for people and THEN they will have an opinion for sure if they like it itā€™s cool, but if they didnā€™t like it ā€¦ >> it not mean that your music doesnā€™t have to existā€¦ People can like it after your death like every ART (but itā€™s ART only if you build it with your HEART).

Iā€™m too perfectionist and i know it as i graduated from Art-School and my Job is in Graphic Design (i learn it the hard way in my professional life). I will teach then because i canā€™t make ā€œProductā€ anymore (in the productive way, if i need to working for money i prefer now itā€™s not in artistic circle anymore i prefer to go work in a supermarket itā€™s less pain just need to do what it need to be done). I need to express myself without a customer order. (and i guess itā€™s just the difference between an Artist and a Publicist)

I also waiting too much from me and put the level very high for myself thatā€™s where i struggleā€¦ Because i do not want to doing something already done, or at least it need to be (in my mind) on kind of a same satisfaction level (emotionally and absolute selfishness) I making music because i feel like itā€™s my life and i always fucking everything or everyone to criticize ā€¦ they can of course and i respect everyone point of view or something but i donā€™t care. If i like it, i release itā€¦ They probably some people out there with similar taste will like it as well or people will discover after few listening they like it finally ! And the others and what, thatā€™s life ! we canā€™t agree on everything with everyone ! and hopefully !!!

And itā€™s not because someone didnā€™t like One Track they will dislike every of your track soā€¦

What i didnā€™t like is (and i dislike it for everything) itā€™s the ā€œdisposableā€ aspect of the music include electronic music as it gives a reason to release shit, unfinished thingsā€¦ itā€™s so easy then !!!

I mostly donā€™t like my own ā€œmusicā€.
Having fun with gear, trying things to work, making a patch that takes me to something unexpected or as things fall into place with my brainstorm is more satisfying.
Can be a groovy pattern with fast hands on control or a drone that slowly evolves while drinking an espresso.
I seldom record my stuff, though have to admit that sometimes a small recorder is connected from the master outputs of my mixer or modular.

Like? ā€¦

So say thanks to people then :stuck_out_tongue: unless you buy it all the copy yourself hahaha
But i know what you mean, just jokeā€¦ congrats then :wink:

I like a lot of what I do but at the same time I know itā€™s unfinished and the vast majority of people will think its a little shit. Iā€™m ok with that! Iā€™m not doing what I do to make money or be famous ffs, I just do it because I would go mental if I did not!

Where I get frustrated is that ideas will pop into my mind from time to time. Often like full blown songs with all these cool, creative thoughts. But I either forget about them by the time I get near my home studio or, even worse, I just lack the inspiration and energy to get these thoughts out of my head and into my DAW/Elektrons. On a different scale, but itā€™s probably not unlike someone with a very bad stammer at times.

Cool/interesting topic though - everyone goes through something similar

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why you need a small portable recorder (like a small zoom with mic) so you can sing your ideas and donā€™t forget it. I do that and itā€™s very valuable !!!

I just released my album this monday. I created this topic because of my struggles with this issue. Decided to just let it out there and move on. Make something new. I kinda like it now when its out there. :slight_smile:
Itā€™s not like i donā€™t care what others think about my music. I do care if you like it. I respect this community a lot. Non the less whole album was made with :elot:ā€¦ I just had to start liking it myself againā€¦

This is my humble album.
https://leemajik.bandcamp.com/album/little-skyscrapers

Life is goodā€¦

3 Likes

I enjoy my music a lot. Iā€™ve been making music for over 15 years but started seriously writing 8 years ago and I am aware that I have come a long way. Iā€™m certainly very critical of my music and some of the earlier stuff can be rough but anything I release publicly I stand behind confidently.

I get plenty of positive feedback (and sometimes critical feedback, which is most important) from people but I feel the music I put out is more than just good (without getting so indulgent as to call it great) because I feel good about it when I listen to it. I donā€™t need a big following to validate how I feel about my creations.

I donā€™t compare myself to the artists I admire because I just donā€™t subscribe to that way of life. Someone will always have more or be better than you when you start quantifying life like that, and it is only that way of viewing life which would make one feel inferior. I judge my music by how true it is to myself - by how effective it is at conveying the message or feeling I was seeking to express. I donā€™t care if Iā€™m not the best guitar player or singer or whatever because my abilities are sufficient to allow me to express myself and, most importantly, have fun.

Getting to a point where I could feel confident about enjoying my music took a lot of effort, which beyond involving the improvement of my musical abilities, also included recognizing that such enjoyment isnā€™t necessarily a matter of inflating the ego, but is actually a form of self-love. I have pretty much battled with depression since I started making music and listening to my old recordings has lifted my spirits many times. Itā€™s just one of those things that helps me see the beauty in life, and I am so grateful for that gift.

Anyway I didnā€™t mean to get so in depth. :sweat_smile: In short, I think my music is fire :heat: :wink:

4 Likes

Ha hA Well funny! Links to the singles or youā€™re a shitbullhitter.

2 Likes

^ it will be a long wait, user didnā€™t respect community or guidelines and has been banned.

2 Likes