What is your live set philosophy?

Until lately I’ve mostly just played in bands (guitar and singing my songs or guitar playing in tribute/cover bands which I’m only doing for the money-I don’t enjoy playing cover tunes), and when appropriate busted out maybe one synth (op-1 or GM or MicroKorg, etc.). My new thing is going to be a lot of fun. We’ve been practicing but haven’t played live yet (coming soon). Here’s the setup:
3 piece; Drums, then me and the other guitar player have the exact same rigs set up on either side of the stage. We both have guitars, pedalboard, amp, bass, bass amp, so we can switch off on bass or guitar whenever we want. His rig also has Realistic (Moog) synth, and a Rhodes keyboard, and Ableton Live. My rig also has Octatrack, OP-1field, tons of little homemade, esoteric little synths (like the Rucci 8-bit synth, drone synth, 4-step CV sequencer, etc.), and Ableton Live. The drummer is sending clock essentially using Tempo Following in Live. It’s totally improv-based. There are a few real songs that have a loose structure but even in those, we can stretch out the improv parts if we want. It’s the most fun I’ve ever had playing. Sometimes we add in another guitar player who basically just has a standard guitar-pedalboard-amp rig but even he will sometimes bring a laptop and run that software-based modular program that a lot of people use (the name of it escapes me at the moment). It’s basically the dream lineup/setup I’ve been wanting for a while now. We can sample each other and rearrange/mangle at any time (just recently we set the drummer up with an MPC 1000 so he can get in on the action) or we can just jam like a traditional 3 piece rock band. Haven’t decided what to call ourselves. Widdled it down to 3 band names to pick from:
1.More,
2.horsepower (which is my band but we broke up and I’m keeping the name because it’s mine), or
3.Pause Tapes (if you don’t know what Pause Tapes are, it’s worth a Google)

2 Likes

Be an insufferably miserable git and never leave the house? I can already do this!

I like the cut of your jib.

1 Like

So a sort of cyberjazzy electronic thing, very cool idea to cross-sample :+1:

PS: forget horsepower, it was good for the old band, time to move on, unless it brings you money to use the old name