What is the sound of the future?

brb buying 1010 stock

2 Likes

In this chaotic environment you are describing, creating a new sound would imply taking one specific element and ironing it out. Master it.

For example, techno came with a big four on the floor. 1 big kick. No matter what noise you put around it is techno.

Lofi is a simple hip hop beat, with very few chords.

Blues is 3 chords (I, IV, and V) on twelve bars (in the case of the 12 bar blues).

is that a recipe for napalm? you forgot the orange juice.

I thought this was when you drink at too many places in one night and can’t get a ride home because your phone died and you forgot your wallet somewhere along the way

chord progression is when you organize your cables from long to short, am I wrong?

1 Like

History ended sometime in the 1990s. All we have now is an ever increasing spiral of references referencing references

8 Likes

Zappa predicted one of the ways the world will end is “death by nostalgia”

8 Likes

Thank you for bringing this up. I did forget one thing in my post. I was going to mention a possible factor that could shape the future.

Blues can be described that way, but it is also other things. You could also say: blues is what happens when you take slaves from one region and give them instruments from another region. (I’m not trying to be politically charged here, but a thing that keeps me up at night is that slavery has been responsible for much of the music I like.)

Anyway, that factor is better support for alternative tunings, especially in electronic gear. If I did want to get politically charged, I would make this a rant about how disgusting/unconscionable it is that we beg for this and support is still an afterthought at best — when it needs to be first-class, yesterday.

Instead, for now I just want to say that whenever manufacturers get on board, I expect it to become a driving change in future music trends. That bit about the world getting smaller? That’s what I’m talking about, I want the westies to pick up and integrate the sound from the easties. Or however you like to carve up the musical globe.

1 Like

just an echo of the 90’s rebounding against a handball court wall.

3 Likes

Algorave is big thing in the Bay right now. I think there was festival this weekend. The kids are digging it
https://algorave.com/

2 Likes

perfect question for ChatGPT, which almost certainly is the sound of the future :wink:

Whatever it is, I guarantee you that a decent amount of people will say that it sounds like farts.

2 Likes

Sooooo… Gene Beltcher on the decks AND the mic?

2 Likes

We could only be so lucky.

1 Like

Schoenberg said that 12tone was the future. Maybe humanity is finally ready for 12 tone electrofunk.

1 Like

I imagine a future scenario where a majority of people will pine for a pre-electronic/pre-electric music. This will be influenced by both the desire for acoustic sounds and for the necessity to live more harmoniously with nature. Maybe this music won’t be completely free of electronics, but will have a mixture of acoustic and solar powered instruments that aren’t reliant on grid-based electricity. In this post-digital world, music won’t be as easily consumed or disseminated, so regional traditions will flourish and sounds and ideas will carry on in a more folk tradition. Outside of communal spheres, there will be a lot of suffering due to the failure of most political/economic/ecological systems. A lot of strains of future music will reflect this. They wont be identified in terms of genre, but from our vantage point they might sound like a post-post-industrial sort of folk music with lots of noises from the clanging and buzzing of diy solar electronics and screaming through bullhorns. The sound of human failure and agony will become the popular music of this time…Anyways I’m tired, goodnight.

7 Likes

The sound you create from imagination without copying the past.

1 Like

Haha good luck with that.

3 Likes

Sweet, I’m gonna be a star in the future, that’s all that comes out of my synths

1 Like

…everything comes and goes in circles…
…everything perceived “new” turns out to be a fresh combo of concepts that already had their time…

in these days of uberdiversification, i’m pretty sure there are heaps of “new” sonic stuff in all sorts of corners, a vast majority will never realize as such a thing…

it’s hard to still get the tracktion, the multiplication to really get a certain amount of people digging for the exact same thing…

throughout pop culture there was this rule of 13…with every half genration it was clear, a next new thing is growoing in the actual subculture to get ready to become the sound of the next future…

but after punk and new wave, all that came next was hiphop and techno…
hiphop is almost 50 by now, and so is pretty much techno…

why there is no such thing like with every half gen comes THE next new thing, is for nothing but the invention of the internet, the beginning of the age of information…

but to close also this circle, i’d say, it’s time for a new grunge thing…where a new take of punkish angry attitude guitar music killed the hair metal days…back then…

but we’ve seen it all already…synth doing guitars…guitars doing synth…until mid 90iest u could always tell which decade gave birth to something by detecting it’s rhythmgroup “design” approach…but those days are also long gone 'n over…

for now, all we can tell, there are two main ways…more plastic barbie voices meets more speed and all sorts of retro zombie conclusions for sonic postcard feelings…
meanwhile, the oldest instrument of them all, our voice, never got old…no matter how new tech inventions changed the way we generate and consume music…

sound of the future…?..hmmmpf…i’m afraid, pop culture as we know it, has come to an end already…

and all as einstein said, when asked what the 3rd world war look like…
he answered, he does not know…but he knows what the 4th worldwar will look like…with sticks and stones…he said…

everything goes back to it’s roots at some point…so here we go…campfires, singing together while hitting on some wood and stones, might be fresh as a daisy tomorrow…

3 Likes

the concepts that are heard stay the same but new ears hear them in the future

1 Like

…in the meantime…i’m still waiting for BRAIN TO MIDI…

bitwig 6.0 might offer this, finally…

2 Likes