What is the philosophy of an electronic set?

I’m hearing these great sets @dubathonic recent podcast performance was an hour long coasting on the sea of bliss. And I’ve been listening to other electronic sets all morning. Puts me in a wonderful mental location.

It’s something I would like to do, but the only sets I’ve ever made were for acoustic/folky/songwriter type of music which was a simple: song-applause-song-applause simple format.

I think I posted about it in the summer about an Elektron only set. Which y’all offered a lot of tips.

But I’m still lost because it’s not just working with Elektron stuff, it’s the entire concept that I don’t grasp.

If you’ve got any advice that can help to provide a framework please let me know. And if you’ve got any sets that could use listening tag me/send them to me/or link them in this thread.

Any resources/advice would REALLY be appreciated

1 Like

Bring a pen and paper to the next live set you see and make notes as it goes along. Do the same watching YouTubes. Just track your feels for the first few times then track the techniques. See if you can count songs or if it just flows.

My personal sense of it is that making a track is different from making a live set. Live sets are in the moment and need to feel present and alive and responsive but can be more minimal and less melodic than a track can be. Also, you can try to think of it as a long song and work transitions as though they were half songs with a foot in each boat. I’ll write tracks and then write transition patterns sometimes.

Also, don’t leave your other skills behind. You may find that you’ve got a secret power in your other instruments and the Elektron boxes are there just to provide the backbone.

Good luck.

1 Like

That’s super helpful!!! Thank you so much!