What is the Best Musical Advice You've Ever Gotten?

yeah what I was getting at is , if you don’t value a piece of music that you’ve created yourself then there is no reason to expect others to place value in it… (and sometimes they do anyway) but I don’t make a habit of that practice myself.

1 Like

Know when to give up! I spent years working on albums that got over-produced into nothingness. Just eating space on the hard drive. Gotta know when a song is perfectly cooked, for me that’s usually 2 writing/production sessions and 1 editing/mastering session.

4 Likes

done is better than perfect.

10 Likes

Good one. Kinda goes along with one in regards to pics, where you say it’s better to have noise than a blurry picture

Two complementary sound-design tips, relevant to Digitone but also any other synth.

From @MilesKvndra: start a new sound with FX off entirely, and only add them back when you’re happy. This avoids getting distracted by fancy reverb on an unshaped sound.

From @cuckoomusic: when configuring modulation (e.g. velocity, MW/AT, but also LFO, envelope), work first with the depth very high, to hear the movement or timing clearly, and then reduce it down to taste.

5 Likes

This advice seems even better now that I’m managing to follow it
(#NGNY22 - Happy NoGear New Year!)

3 Likes

Restrictions breed creativity

3 Likes

I can’t think of any advice I’ve been given since my days as a guitarist with no electronic music experience. Even then I can’t remember much advice other than to take it one step at a time and to work to a metronome.

The advice I would give is to be kind to yourself and follow your heart.

1 Like

never go with a hippie to a second location.

srsly though best advice was “it’s about the tracks” as in make songs w/whatever you got

unless i answered this thread already w/something different then that was the best advice i got… until now.

4 Likes

Theres a quote about starting and sucking that goes something like “dont worry if you suck, everyone sucks at the beginning. Being aware that you suck means you know what doesnt suck and thats what will make you better in the long run”

I’d like to share it with a friend who is full of newb self doubt but i cant find the original source.

2 Likes

f/8 and be there

(As applied to photography, music and life in general.)

5 Likes

„Get both“ :wink:

1 Like

hissssss

A friend of a friend coined this jem when asked how he was so prolific; “Sit at desk, stay at desk” and to this day I’ve not heard better advice.

3 Likes

Nietzsche, talking about writers staying at their office “ je te tiens cul de plomb ! Je te tiens Nihiliste ! Les bonnes pensées viennent en marchant “ …. Just a little perspective

1 Like

Less is more.

Ira Glass, from This American Life, said something similar. Found it here made into a little film:

6 Likes

Stop buying new gear and learn to use what you have properly.

Advice I never followed unfortunately…

6 Likes

Thats it, thank you!

1 Like

Best musical advice i’ve ever heard was from Steve Albini who said (and i’m paraphrasing here):

“If you have a style or aesthetic or technique or process that works for you never ever ever let anybody tell you it’s wrong it won’t work”

4 Likes