What is Octatrack able to provide me if I do not Sample?

Some Shitty FX.

Use the Sampler!

I suspect what you mean by “no sampling” is different than what other people think. You are probably talking about having to stop playback of the audio in order to record audio or something. The Octatrack doesn’t force you to do that.

One way to achieve stutter:

1. Set Track 1 to Pickup Machine. No you don’t have to actually use the pickup machine - it just conveniently passes audio from input, through the (optional) track FX, to the output, without the hoops you have to jump through to get a Thru Machine to work.

2. Set Track 2 to Flex Machine. Set Sample Slot of Track 2 to “R1” - this is the Recorder Buffer of Track 1.

3. Set Track 2 LFO1 to modulate Retrig. Set LFO waveform to Random.

4. Put a Sample Trigger on Track 2.

5. Make sure your audio inputs and output levels are set up

6. Press Play on Sequencer. Now whatever you play into Track 1audio input will be stuttered by Track 2 when you tweek the LFO knob.

4 Likes

Yes i think I understand now how it works, thank you!

So as it is you have one scene who do not play a track on a side ?
If I want an A4 last bars record on scene A with for example one shot trig, on scene B how can I have the real livetime A4 sound ?

How do you crossfade between one past A4 pattern and the real-time one ?

Thanks a lot !

You use the parameter locks for volume. I think they’re called xvol. It’s very cool. Once you get the hang of it you can blend parts of different tracks effectively adding additional voices to the a4 or whatever you feed into it. Check the two YouTube videos from tarekith on the subject then find the solution that works for you. It’s a lot to take in but becomes natural once you have the scenes set up and save then to a part.
I have one pattern dedicated to one bar and one for four bars and use a one shot trigger to record. Press the track number plus yes to trigger the record then cross fade.
You can also put effects like filter and delay on the recording for a breakdown effect. I put these under the playback trigger so I can erase them easily.
You have to watch the tails on what you’re recording or they can get cut off in a musical or non musical way.

1 Like

@Springbox For the stutter thing, like @Geneoart said, you would indeed use the delay repeat mode and play with the different retrig times.

You can perfectly set a bunch of Scenes with different settings for your FX and slide from one to the other.
Funny thing is also to plock some parameters to carve the evolution you want on the Pattern.

But if you only want FX I guess you’d better go for a dedicated FX unit.

2 Likes

Now i’ve 4 sampling track on the OT, the are all on the same input. It is great, you can pitch the sound, play with filter and env… And it become an FX … To edit pitch you have to sample.
Seriously this is incredible.
It offer to build a sound with different input’s transformation…
It’s a sampler, so for using all this Fx or kind of glitches you have at least to rec…
But once you have build basics you can set a project with all ready as 4 sampler ready to listen and learn from an external random …
<3