What Influences Your Gear Choices?

Ok, I see what you’re saying! Btw, I might be the oldest person on the forum, so I understand nostalgia, but was curious what that meant to you. Thanks for clarifying!

Regarding ‘the Unicorn.’ I totally get that too. I was seriously considering an MPC X for close to a year because it seemed like a one box solution. I was just never able to pull the trigger. When I got my Digitakt I knew it wouldn’t be an all in one solution, but it was shocking how far you can get on just that one box. I’ve had a blast making music on that thing. My Octatrack bordered on an impulse buy. I was pretty sure I was never going to get one. Too quirky, crazy learning curve, blah blah…but while on tour, a guy at Percect Circuit talked me into it. I had gone in planning to get a Bastl Thyme, or something similar. Wound up walking out with an OTMK2 :slight_smile:
It’s been a mixed bag and that thing regularly makes me feel like the dumbest guy on the planet and after a few months with it, I’m still kinda sucking on the thing, but I am able to make a lot of tracks, so there’s that. To be clear, I love the OT, but it’s gonna be awhile before I’ll be able to be fluent on it in any meaningful way. It’s helped to slow down my gear purchasing though. I want to be able to get around on the thing before adding another piece of hardware

1 Like

my influence is evaluated on the factor of simplicity of use
Result, comes with handling : on time, with (the start and the end of) sample

HS%202017

1 Like

alas, I tried this and it’s not great with automation. p-lock still rules…

The OT was my first elektron box, but this thing doesn’t work the way I want it to. Now, amongst other gear, I have a dual Digitakt setup and it’s pretty close to perfection for me.

That’s awesome you found what works for you!
There are certain things I much prefer about the DT. Mostly sound-wise. Love the filter, reverb and compressor. But I’m still learning the OT. I do love slicing and scenes a whole lot, so very happy to have both

1 Like

Same but
Long time before i choose the way of life

if I should take back an old;i would catch a Quasimidi309
And if I had the choice for a keyboard i would take the Elektron

TBH I’m still in that one box fantasy, and the deluge is impressively close. Problem is I became attached to the 404sx and DN along the way. I’m also realistic in my gear choices. I’ll always end up in a DAW for something, but want to stay out as long as possible.

1 Like

Agreed!
Still trying to love the Deluge, but haven’t gotten there yet…the new redmeansrecording video is impressive though

1 Like

What Influences Your Gear Choices?

Whether it is made by Elektron or not :joy:

1 Like

I’m not there yet myself, it does everything good but not great. It’s still young and growing, can’t wait for the next update to drop. Multi samples and wav editor on the grid plus live record to the arranger is insane. My favorite piece of the deluge though is a printed manual, so simple and really detaches you from other tech.

1 Like

@cuckoomusic videos, thanks to him i have OT and OP1 which i’d never acquire otherwise

1 Like

Yep, Cuckoo is awesome :slight_smile:

my rig must meet 3 requirements:

1. no laptops / DAWs.
  2. it must be capable of doing 90s-style goa trance. (other genres are considered simpler.)
  3. complete setup, excluding e-drums and mounting rack, must fit 40–45L backpack.

(actually, i broke my own rule #2 when bought Yamaha RM1x, so must save money for Pyramid.)

3 Likes

Er, sound, workflow, size, price.

In that order.

2 Likes