What gear would you like to see elektron do next?

No fm? That sucks! But before i pay 3500 bucks for another subtractive synth, i will create my first euro rack case…
I just played around with my Blofeld, so much fun. Even the Blofeld allows some sweet FM.

Really? Crikey, that is a strange omission from them.

I think you and I are the official Elektron FM cheer squad as every time this kind of topic comes up we always chime in with new ways for our FM dream synth to be realized. :wink:

IMO even giving the DT some extra pitch-tracking LFOs and polyphony would go a long way.

I fear the Monomachine is the closest we will ever get to an FM synth from Elektron and even if a MKIII drops, I doubt we’ll see a true 4/6 operator monster. :nej: :elmm:

2 Likes

I’d just like an 8 (or 16) voice digital wavetable synth with lots of glitch FX in a Digitakt style box. Digitakt style sequencer optional as it could be driven from the Digitakt’s 8 MIDI channels. Digitakt for drums/samples and this for synths would be enough for producing tracks or playing live sets.

The whole world has been screaming for a knobby fm synth for years.
Bizarre no one has capitalised on the opportunity.
That silly Yamaha DX is the closest we have seen lately, apart from the huge Yamaha Montage.
Would just take Yamaha to strip the awesome Montage FM engine into its own knobby synth.
Done

2 Likes

This looks like a good start, but would like even more knobs

3 Likes

I just think it’s a no brainer to do these 3 things first:

• Analog Keys MKII
  • Successors to the discontinued Machinedrum/ Monomachine w/ the improved sequencer/ computer interface.
1 Like

Like I’ve mentioned it in another thread, i would jump on the train for a new Monomachine!

Two versions could be done:

Small, portable (Digitakt/Heat Format) Version with:

• 8 Mono Tracks
  • all the classic Engines we loved (improved of course) + a couple new ones (Wavetables! WE NEED WAVETABLES!!!)
  • 1 LFO per Track (but freely assignable to other Tracks if you dont need it on a particular one - holy MD madness awaits!)
  • 1 Multimode Filter per Track
  • 1 Overdrive/Distortion Effect per Track
  • 3 Master Effects (Delay, Reverb, Chorus - like the A4)
  • plus the usual current stuff (improved Sequencer, Trig Conditions and the like)
  • 650 €

Full-fledged, full-sized (A4/AR/OT Format!) Version with

• 8 Stereo Tracks with dedicated Pan-Spread Controls
  • 16 Voices of Polyphony (assignable in the same way you do it on the A4)
  • all the classic Engines we loved (improved of course) + a whole bunch of new ones (Wavetables! And Additive Synthesis Engines! And Granular Synthesis Engines! With custom Waves/Samples you can upload!)
  • 3 LFOs per Track (but still freely assignable if you need them somewhere else)
  • 1 Multimode Filter per Track + 1 analog Lowpass Filter per Track
  • 1 Overdrive/Distortion Effect per Track - this time fully analog!
  • 3 assignable Effects per Track (Phasers, Chorus, Ringmods, Compressor, Delay … all the great stuff, you name it :slight_smile: )
  • 3 Master Effects (Delay, Reverb, Chorus - like the A4)
  • Ability to use Audio from any Track as a Source for FM on any Track with a particular FM Synth Model or AM for a particular Model (ok, that goes for the Engines Section, but it should be pointed out :wink: )
  • plus the usual current stuff (improved Sequencer, Trig Conditions and the like)
  • 2300 €

I generally like the idea of a two tier model. Get into it with the fastest possible workflow which is just “to the point” and pretty dang cheap - and go bananas with the completely feature packed big Box which cost you two grands :smiley: Just pick what you (currently) need, you know.

But one thing is important: Both machines have to come out AT THE SAME TIME! It wouldnt be great if the small and cheap box would be used to fund the big and amazing one.

My 2 cents on that matter - again :wink:

4 Likes

I’m all about dual filters. Only one filter, even if it’s multimode, just seems so boring to me.

1 Like

Cool girlfriend.
I’m lucky to get a bit of nookie from mine

1 Like

We all are mate. Send her our best.

:wink:

1 Like

Rather than doing a new hardware device, I’d like to see Elektron (or anyone) come up with a replacement/update for MIDI. They did TURBO, which was kind of impressive to me. Some kind of parallel processing for musical instrument interface, be digital or otherwise, that would have greater resolution and timing would really make me pleased as punch. I think it would also, if properly licensed/distributed, be very profitable for Elektron (or anyone).

But, if they did a hardware device, I think another FX box (:elan: FREEZE/DUB/ETC) or sequencer-driven mixer/effects box would be fun. I’m very close to pulling the trigger on Strymon Timeline/Mobius/BigSky. Just trying to figure out if it would work in my flow.

1 Like

Rumor has it that Midi is indeed getting an update, but it won’t be Elektron who create it.

Some part of me is hoping that those Daniel Troberg videos of the Octatrack playing the FS1R and TX802 is an indication of where their brain is. Not just because that stupid video has me stupidly wanting a stupid Yamaha FS1R.

(I guess I’ve got enough FM and Formants to keep me happy between the Monomachine and Modor NF-1m, but formants and physical modeling and things like that get me all a giddy these days)

1 Like

I agree the touch screen is a bad move. I watched a video with the Waldorf guy showing off a Quantum prototype and the touch screen did not respond to his first touch…

The next thing I want to see from Elektron is a dedicated MIDI polyphonic step sequencer using musical scales. To set a chord trig for a step, you would first input a note as normal, and there would be a chord page in the display where you can scroll through available chords based on that note and in the scale the track is in, and set lengths and velocities for each note in the chord!!! Then there would be arpeggio / strum and delay/ratchet effects per step. Pattern chaining, scenes…
16 tracks, MIDI CC envelopes and LFOs, MIDI CC learn, send program change per step, mini keyboard (a-la A4) etc.

1 Like

That’s a great idea, especially the part with the chord selection! I did buy the Octatrack mainly because i needed a sequencer! I fell I love with it and it really changed my workflow. I started to work with samples, jam with the looper/pickup part etc.

I guess i know which video you saw. The developer of the quantum showed of the screen and when he tried to change some value via the screen(I think it was the “ Nave“ part) it had a enormous latency! But it was almost a year ago, so I guess they had time to fix this issue. I have some of the newer Waldorf stuff (Blofeld, Pulse 2; nave and the largo plugin) and i‘m really love those. But I probably won’t get the quantum, it’s just too expensive for my hobby…I hope they make a smaller and cheaper desktop version, then I would buy one… The good thing is that the guy in the quantum video said that 80% can be done just with the physical knobs.

5 Likes

i would seriously weep if this ever happened.

What does it do?

it’s a joke, rofl. (op-1 meets DT.)