What gear would you like to see elektron do next?

+1 for something interesting with physical modelling… maybe even a collaboration with AAS to put their sound engine into a box with Elektron’s sequencer? 10/10

3 Likes

Yep as they did with Intellijel for Plonk.
Pimped stand-alone plonk with additional deep FM synthesis would be great.

3 Likes

I’d mentioned the paucity of hardware PM synths awhile ago, and the common response was that it didn’t make much sense to do PM in hardware (not sure why) when such great soft synths as the AAS stuff or Madrona Labs Kaivo exist. I’d be super interested in a physical modeling hardware synth, myself. Plonk is good start, but I’d prefer non-Euro. This would be a really great area for Elektron to innovate.

1 Like

Problem with PM is it can sound very beautiful but leans towards sounding very samey.

1 Like

Yes it would need to offer more engines as well e.g. FM, wavetable etc

1 Like

This kind of synthesis in Elektron style:
FM: http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/fs1r.php
Additive: http://www.vintagesynth.com/kawai/k5000.php

1 Like

It seems we are all at least wanting something digital and awesome.
Analog resurgence is over I hope.
What does work extremely well is advanced digital oscillators combined with analog filters, vca’s etc.
It’s really the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

please give us something truly portable, op-1 like. what you easily take on a train ride or wherever. and make it deep. lots of lfos, good screen, digital synth engines, drums samples, bit of everything ;D like a mini OT with some synths build in.

3 Likes

I also really like the Waldorf Quantum:

But i am not a keyboard player so with Elektron sequencing please :wink:

Also +1 here - a handheld composer with some basic but great sound design/sequencing and arranging capabilities would be fantastic. A good friend of mine Leila even performed with a QY20 (Or it could have been the later QY22) at Glastonbury with Bjork once because the whole touring band was using them in their down-time in airports, hotels, planes, buses etc.

I think she said Aphex had one as well on their tour together, they used to all compete to see who could do the best little tracks on their 4 track portable sequencer. A lot of it fed into tracks that wound up on records, too!

3 Likes

Plonk caught my attention recently. It tempted me towards modular again. Something like that with four tracks of Elektron sequencing would be a blast. It’s nuts how versatile and musical the sounds are!

So what is that, like a million people who have expressed how much they’d like Elektron to release something with FM synthesis? Hmm, I wonder if they can picture what would surely be very desirable, and please many people as clearly as obvious can be.

2 Likes

This is true, Maybe Kaivo is one to shoot for in hardware: like the Digitakt combined with PM based excitors and resonators in one box… And sure, throw in wavetable and FM, etc.

1 Like

Depends on how complex the physical model is :robot::space_invader:

But I would agree, having a digital synthesis playground with at least FM and wavetable would be ideal.

1 Like

Personally I’d like to see an alternative controller from elektron but I know it isn’t exactly there field of expertise although I kind of consider the sequencers they make that… but maybe something less about a sequencer and more like a buchla thunder… I also think that would be a good excuse for them to have a new digital synth built into it and a good excuse for that digitakt midi sequencer to be put to work on one of there own products. Considering most there products get one “extra” type thing tied in like sequencing midi or cv maybe the extra of new highly customizable control interface would make sense.

True. Interestingly, your reply went into my email spam folder and I can’t for the life of me work out why :wink:

what i would need most is a live-mixer… with tons of EFX to dial in like in the octatrack, somes sends to integrate external stuff… good connectivity to add mics and a lot of channels… sequence all elektron gear from the mixer… sadly i think, they dont built one :-))

i think we will se some new efx-boxes next… maybe a digital multiefx-box…

and hopefully a totally reworked AK with additional digital OSCs :-))

I’ve mentioned my desire for a Digitakt-sized box focused on FM, but I also think if you take the Analog Four MKII, and keep everything (analog filters, overdive, etc) except change the oscillators to digital 6-op FM oscillators with controls over algorithm type, additional envelopes, bit reduction, etc., that would be truly amazing/groundbreaking.

2 Likes

I hope Waldorf makes some kind of a desktop/rack module based on this. Something that is more affordable. I really like the fact that the input channel can be used to create custom wavetables. There is a German music store who already takes preorders.
3500 €

I’m sure that those data aren’t correct because it says there is no aftertouch. Really like the design, but I don’t like touchscreens on synths…

1 Like

I lost interest in the Quantum when I read somewhere that it won’t have FM? Seems bizarre, particularly from Waldorf :thinking: