What does the DT offer over the RYTM?

What do you mean, sound-lock it?

Isn’t that the point of the kits? If you change a sound on a kit it will have an effect on every pattern that uses that kit. If you want new sounds for a new pattern wouldn’t you need to create a new kit, load the samples/synths, save the kit and use in current pattern. Then it will not affect other patterns. So one kit one pattern if you like? Sorry I’m trying to understand.

No.
You won’t be getting MIDI sequencing, or that DT Waveform display with sample length parameter. Or Control All.

Yes.

Some people just don’t like having to fuss with kits.
Some love em, some hate em.
I’m a lover.
They are quite powerful for organization purposes and working across multiple patterns at the same time. You aren’t missing anything. Sounds like you prefer the A4/AR kit structure. Many do.

1 Like

I don’t own a Rytm, but from what I saw in the videos Rytm offers only 128 values for most parameters, while on DT you can dial in a fractional part of the value as well, so resolution is effectively a 100 times higher. Is it correct?

Correct.
MK1 and MK2 Rytm are 128 integers per parameter, not like DT.

1 Like

Doesn’t the RYTM have a sample length parameter? I thought it did.

“MK1 and MK2 Rytm are 128 integers per parameter, not like DT.”

Does that cause any issues though in real world use?

Nope. It’s sample end- you make the sample reverse by setting the end before the start

2 Likes

Rytm’s implementation is different.

Sample parameters are START and END.

DT = Start and Length. So when you change Start on DT, the Length stays the same and follows.

When you change Start on Rytm, END stays where you put it unless you change it.
In fact, on Rytm if END parameter # is before Start, then the sample plays backwards.

Ryan beat me to it, and with much more brevity!

I recommend taking a deep dive into the Rytm MKII manual. It will answer a lot of questions and give you a much more clear picture of how things are different. And it’s free.

2 Likes

I have looked at the manual but it is hard making sense of it all without having the machine in front of you. I do really appreciate your help and advice!

2 Likes

Maybe it can help…

1 Like

However, when you apply a LFO, changes are smoother (i.e. finer than just 128 increments). Not sure how it is when you record knob movements.

If your work is focused on SAMPLE i would go to a REAL sampler, like DT and OT mk2… RYTM MK2 is a Sample player and little recorder (i love it so much if i can have only one machine that would be the RYTM MK2 every days)

But still the RYTM mk2 don’t give you much editing options on sample (of course you can resample and resample etc…)

If my work heavily rely on SAMPLE and not much on synthesis because i don’t want or i make it ITB i would go for DT for Mono one shots and mono weird things + OT MK2 for Stereo sounds and Loops.

For those who like to craft with Synthesis + Sample clearly AR MK2, A4 MK2 and Digitone is the way to go…

If money is not a problem and you like to take all the BED for ya… have anything is the best… because everything is complimentary.

1 Like

the dt allows an approach on a completely intuitive external sequencer. Why? Because the waveform can be maipulated and provides a game more than groovy

sde

Surely you can manipulate the sample start, end, loop points on the RYTM in the same way, but you just can’t see the waveform?

The Rytm also gives you individual outs, CV, and song mode. Those are all huge differences IMO. FWIW, I love the way “Kits” work.

1 Like

Manipulation is not the same, because if you want to keep the same length of playback section of the sample on Rytm, you have to also manipulate the END parameter.
Where as on DT, you set your length and only have to change the start parameter, and the length stays the same.

As stated earlier, this makes granular style work more advantageous for DT, and less so for Rytm.

Some say that for sample editing, Rytm is more “fiddly”. The lack of waveform display also contributes to this quality.

Capabilities are the same, but the path is different, due to the different implementations.

1 Like

It would be nice from Elektron to add this Length parameter on the Rytm, BTW

Shoot, yeah- if you switched LOOP with Direction you could replace End with Length and it would roughly have the same functionality(sans the loop parameter on the RYTM(which isn’t currently there anyway))

1 Like

Would be nice to have it as an option, to keep some compatibility with older projects / packs.
Just a box to tick in the Kit menu, similar to the “legacy fx send” box.

“Legacy Sample Length”

2 Likes