What do you use the Cue outputs for?

…for recording extra signals at the same take in the studio…
or to feed my heat with xtra signals on stage…

Oh nice. Thanks for the pro tip!

I thought of it the first year I had the OT, couldn’t get it to work, and then looked on hear and (no surprise) other people ahd figured it out years ago and it was the microtiming that was keeping it from working for me.

Once you have it set up you can do things like build your own delay by putting the play trig on a step other than 1 (or even using multiple trigs for multiple taps) and then feeding the send track back into itself, so the whole track turns into the delay, and the FX slots are inside the feedback loop.

Or use parameter locks to change the pitch to get really exotic sounding tuned delay (it doesn’t work that well when the record and play trigs are close together since the amount that you can actually change the pitch is limited by the gap between them, but if you’r emaking a delay using trigs then you cna get away with a lot more - especially if the delay time is more than one step).

Even if you use external effects by patching the cue out back to the inputs it can be better to use a flex machine instead of a thru machine so that you can use play trigs.

I don’t play with this kind of stuff nearly enough myself these days, since I’ve been so deep into pickup machines recently.

3 Likes

Hey great stuff in this thread so I’m bringing it back from the dead to ask some questions that might be contrary to the title… Sorry! or You’re welcome!

@tsutek (if you’re still around) or anyone else: thats a wild idea! I see the value of a real, grab-able volume knob in a live situation. I might’ve missed something and apologise if I have but I have a couple of questions.

In this setup what would you use the main outs for? Anything?

On the mixer page the level encoder allows headphone out mix between Main and Cue, I assume you have it set hard right to Cue?

if so what are you gaining by using Cue here instead of just leaving everything bussed to main and keeping that HP mix knob to main only?

1 Like

I’ve mentioned it before (maybe in this thread, I didn’t actually check) but a lot of the time I use the OT as two Quadratrack. In A B and tracks 1-4 go to the main outs, C D and tracks 5-8 to cue.

Otherwise I usually use cue as an internal send and don’t connect the outputs to anything.

3 Likes

cue outs I isolate A,b,c,d,drums,bass,mel,amb, etc, my baselines don’t do go on the main out where drums are in the main. that way I control the mix of each element on the 1010bluebox with my faderfox uc4 on my setup.

4 Likes

I use CUE out for a reverb send, because i’m not a huge fan of the OT reverb and then i can use delay on all the channels. Then i just send the reverb to a separate channel on my mixer, rather than back into the octatrack.

2 Likes

Just started with my octatrack sending main outputs to one set of speakers, headphone outputs to a different set of speakers and not sure what to do with the cue outs…maybe some sort of pool or snooker pun here?

I’m using them for a delay feedback loop, sending the octatrack’s delay into my modular and back to the octatrack. Let’s me use the modular for more interesting stereo delay effects (like slightly different delay times on each ear) but still have the octatrack crossfader controlling feedback amount, as well as letting me put extra octatrack effects in the feedback loop.