What do you think of GAS?

Nailed it. I’m GAS’ing for more spare time.

3 Likes

Most of the time I really like to buy / sell things. This is something you can do while at work. :slight_smile:
It wouldn’t be possible for me to take my machines to work and make music. But the whole process of gassing – buying-- selling – remorse — gassing… Is something I in fact like. Never had problems with seller or buyers. And met some fantastic people because of my gas. Or theirs.

1 Like

I’ve worked hard to get where I have in life. I have a decent job and am paid fairly well. I never spend beyond my means. Most people have a vice, mine is music gear. First the DJ rig and later in life a production rig. I like researching and buying new toys. I get GAS but I’ve moved passed the ‘this next piece is the missing piece and will solve everything phase’. I have fun with what I’m doing. I no longer have any ambition to make it in the business or be famous etc. This hobby is my escape from the real world. It is how I relax and unwind from everyday life. I want to have fun with my toys. I’ll never feel guilty again for buying another toy not because it will help but for no other reason than I WANT TOO!

5 Likes

I have the opposite these days
Not much worth buying thank god

I’m 100% with you. So much of what goes on around music gear on the internet smacks of impulse purchases, having the “right gear to be cool,” retail therapy etc. While there is occasionally some interesting, unique discussion on forums like these, 90% of it is pointless back and forth about things that barely matter if at all. Elektronauts IS a very polite resource for people with legitimate questions. Most of the rest I can do with out. To be frank, I actually don’t care what gear you own or what gear you use (let us be honest, these are clearly not mutually inclusive).

I wish Our Music was the most active part of the forum.

4 Likes

i was at my most productive on a pentium 133 running buzz tracker :laughing:

1 Like

this is where i’m at. Motorbikes and music gear.

I’d rather spend money on a holiday generally

1 Like

I want to agree with this part but honestly 90% of the music is shite, or to be less critical nothing special or interesting. I barely even listen to music at all these days because a lot of time I’d spend listening to music I’d rather spend making it or reading about making it. Even if that means talking gear a lot or just trying to help other people by sharing what I’ve learned from my experiences. I’m not down with the cool points bullshit of owning every new box that comes out though. There’s a lot of pointless back and forth about stuff that doesn’t matter at all but if you filter that out it can be a goldmine of useful information, or even just starting points that lead you to learning new techniques, and at worst you can help someone daily. Someone told me you only really know something if you can teach it to someone. It’s usually pretty evident if someone’s a gearslut anyway, they’ll be the first to tell you about it

1 Like

100% agreed on all of the above. Kind of touched on this earlier in the thread but I have no interest in listening to the musical gear opinions of people making bad music (or just as common, no music). I’m glad people are making music and its cool they are having fun but that’s where it ends for me.

There is a lot of stuff I don’t particularly like, however I’m rather impressed how many unknown great musicians I found on youtube etc

3 Likes

Back to topic:

i find it really educational listening to hardware demo video’s online, even if i then go re-create those sounds with a software synth.

Would i prefer to play the inspirational sounds directly on the hardware synth that was so inspirational just listening to? Yes - with a disclaimer: being easily distracted, i kind of enjoy having less gear in the studio. All the leads start to get a bit much after a while.

that said, i would dearly love a Digitakt, the Analog Rytm, and two or three extra synths. Also a Warm Audio condenser mic. Anyway won’t rave on about it lol. I will now go read my manual on frequencies and EQ mixing techniques.

1 Like

I think I’ve got over GAS, having only made 3 purchases in the last 8 months or so which is a record. I’ve sold a LOAD of gear I don’t feel I need. I prefer Analog gear, hate VST’s, and any future acquisitions will be analog hardware effects and maybe an analog sequencer. I like tweaking knobs :slight_smile:

I feel spending too much time reading about and talking about new gear a waste of time and distracts form the real purpose of the hobby, making music.

If i’m unsure about a piece of gear I own or am not connecting with it I do as was suggested earlier in the thread, watch a few demos, tutorials etc. to learn something I may not have know and then try it out. I call it the university of youtube. if I still don’t connect I sell it at a bargaintastic price so someone else can enjoy it.

I would also like to see the Our Music section expand and become more active even if it is “shite” @jb: :smile:
I don’t know maybe people are too shy to post up their music. I don’t give a fuck and will fire songs up all the time :smile:
I realised this after I went to see a female doctor about a problem with my leg and realised when she was examining my thigh that I had a wet pish patch on my boxers and i didn’t care :smile:

I don’t think thats likely to happen though as gear talk is more exciting…

7 Likes

Pishstainitis is something that needs to be talked about more. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

That would be the other 10%

@DavyP you’re quite a character

2 Likes

I think the ‘I want this right now’ part of GAS is the bit I need to get over.

I want a Digitone, but I don’t need it right now. The DN will be just as good in 6 months or a year, yet my GAS tells me that I should order one today.

I don’t earn a lot of money and, while I have the funds to buy one, it’ll be far easier if I saved up.

3 Likes

You might find the price is more attractive in 6 months as well

1 Like

great
Happy to know all the good music on the internet

The DN will be hopefully a little better in six months. Less bugs, if elektron delivers updates.
I really try avoid preorders, because of bad experiences in the past. Not just music gear, I do the same with video/pc games and Software in general. Especially video games are often very cheap after a yeahs waiting.
Or the Accsess Virus: So many great updates that added new functions, more envelopes, effects etc. And it’s even cheaper!

1 Like

Something i try to do if the GAS kicks in: I ask myself if i could do the same thing with my PC or with other gear. I check my plugins or search for some free plugins that can do what i want. I use them for a few days. For example when the DN was announced, i started using FM8.
It’s IMO superior to the DN, so the only reason would be having hardware that do the similar thing.
If i can implement the results into a track, I have one reason more to consider buying the new gear. But if i not even try to do something on the pc, I probably won’t need it as much as my GAS told me. I saved a lot of money, by using Reaktor, VCV rack and other virtual modular systems.
Especially classic subtractive synths, are no longer needed when you already have a few. Of course everyone sounds a little bit different. I try to buy only stuff that gives me new options/timbres. But a subtractive synth needs a lot of cool features, to get me interested. Still waiting for hardware synths that have more as 2-3 LFOs,EGs and other limitations. Wish they would try to catch up with modern plugins, instead of orienting on old classics. Introduce envelopes with multiple stages, delay time for EG and LFOs, fade in/out, repeat EG for X times, Import of wavetables.I could write a whole book about what I wan’t :wink: . ok I start to get off topic…

1 Like