What do we like for connecting a couple of boxes up?

Dirt-cheap, 16 channels (8x stereo), no non-sense in a compact rack format: Behringer RX1602 V2

You can also have an FX chain by plugging the FX send into your effects and route them back into one input.

I don’t like the small knobs and the fact that you don’t have a lot of room to adjust the volume because the pots are stepped but that’s about it.

5 Likes

I am having fun using my TX-06 since it is super easy and battery powered and has a compressor I think built in option and small size quick to use.

using Zoom LiveTrak L-8.
not the most compact device out there, but:
– inexpensive
– battery/USB powered
– allows OTB multitrack recording (pre-fader!)
– does not have noise/hum issues (Bluebox is known to have them under certain conditions)
– has builtin per-channel compressor – which is fairly mild, but handy
– just works

PS. tried a couple of passive mixers and did not like them at all.
even if you need something utterly small & basic – consider this:

I think its pretty.

9 Likes

I’m really enjoying the Bluebox too, but primarily because it is also a recorder. It’s basically everything I was using an interface+computer for in a small portable box and I love that about it. Very easy to hook up a small setup quickly and get right to recording, which has streamlined a lot of the process for me.

2 Likes

Without stating the obvious leave yourself some redundancy in terms of channel count. In other words if you’ve got 4 things to plug in I’d avoid getting a 4ch mixer. You might pick up an new synth at sometime and you don’t want to have to pick up a new mixer too. Plus you can use the spare channels for FX returns, individual outs etc.

3 Likes

Personally I use a Behringer EURORACK PRO RX1602, an 8 stereo line input mixer. It’s cheap and you can even hide it under one of your machines.

As small and expensive as the TE mixer is, it has been a godsend for me. I can use very messy mixes and it still manages to keep the mix transparent.

Having the capability to multitrack six stereo tracks directly to my phone is incredible. I do everything on my phone without ever using a computer. It’s pretty insane when you think about it.

Edit: and the multitracking is done post fader, meaning that each track can be EQd and compressed and I can fade in and out tracks in the recording phase. So basically the mixer is part of the performance.

None of the other zooms and tascams does this

3 Likes

If it is just to hook a couple of synths together, small footprint, affordable, and decent sound quality, maybe consider the Yamaha MG series (starting with MG06). For each size there is also a version with send fx.

2 Likes

TC Helicon Blender is a cheapish, bare bones option. 6 stereo inputs (3.5mm), 4 headphone outs. You can send different mixes to each HP out so they can be used as fx sends. Doubles as an audio interface (12in 2out).

But yeah, budget for cables and adapters for mini jacks, which is true of a few suggestions in this thread.

1 Like

Oh that’s very cool!

I mean it’s also a spaghetti fest because of the layout which is a bit annoying, and it’s really light so can slide around a bit if pulled by the weight of the cables, but it does the job. I believe there’s a thread on it on here.

8 in, 10 out K-Mix has kept me in business for ages. Small and powerful.

3 Likes

would be perfect for me.
The prize though, I don’t know

Bluebox

1 Like

I’d like to get a very small mixer to double track two mono synths:

• A synth would be panned 15% right
  • B synth would be panned 15% left
  • The resulting stereo mix would then be sent to an Eventide Blackhole

Can’t connect synths directly to the Eventide because then they’re hard panned and that’s not what I want. What would your recommend?

It sounds so good. Really everything I want. Just wish it was a little bit bigger. I just imagine it would drive me nuts trying to use it with too big hands. Might have to give it a try though

1 Like

Someone on the lines forum shared a leak of the Bastl Bestie. It’s much more paired down than Oto Machine’s Bebe Cherie but it still seems like it could be a good alternative for a portable mixer, especially given the price and the fact that it can run on aa batteries.

Some details:

• 5 Channels
  • Mute switch Per Channel
  • Level control per channel (Boost 20 dB)
  • Sweet Overdrive
  • Inputs via 3.5 mm stereo jacks
  • 3.5 mm jack output
  • 3.5 mm jack headphone output with loudness control
  • Pre/Post mute option for the headphone output (pre-listen)
  • Channel 3 is normalized to the output, making it a default feedback channel.
  • Channels 1 and 5 have two 3.5 mm jacks to also accept dual jack stereo or mono signals.

The dedicated feedback channel and the Pre/Post mute sound pretty sweet. With the latter, you could basically use it as a cue output!

2 Likes

If this is truly an exhaustive list of requirements, the Yamaha MG series mixers have a pretty good reputation, and this little guy is absolutely dirt cheap:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG06--yamaha-mg06-6-channel-mixer

Power 4AAs or USB-C

2 Likes