What do I do with my new IPad Pro?

Started on Eurorack over a decade ago so know exactly which modules I need: the ones I don’t have!

Drambo is great. However, you basically have to built all from scratch. So lots of programming. However you certainly can customize your kit if that’s your thing.

Ummm…not really. If you use it as an auv3 Host, you just load in your instruments, save them as an Instrument Rack…save it as a template and open it any time you want.

It’s no different than setting up a Project/Template in Ableton. Once you understand the workflow, you either use your existing templates, or build from scratch…which I don’t mind at all.

Also, there are a lot of prebuilt Instrument Racks in the app you can just load up and begin playing. It’s just a different kind of music creation tool, and requires a little time to get use to. It’s definitely easier to use than an Octatrack fwiw :slight_smile:

You do not have to build it all. You can use it immediately like AUM to host other apps as stated above. It also has numerous synths and drums ready to go. There are also hundreds of patches and devices to download for free from patch storage.

Whenever I want a new device I will always check patch storage first to see if anyone has done the legwork for me, I can use their device outright, use it as a jumping off point to alter it for my needs, or learn from it to then design my own.

I’m still just getting into Drambo, and as flexible as Drambo is I imagine I’ll still just be getting into it 5 years from now. The initial learning curve is far outweighed by its power.

I believe the four must have apps are AUM, Drambo, Koala, and Loopy Pro. From there you could add a traditional DAW style app if you like having a traditional timeline and do t already use a DAW on a computer.

Then slowly fill in FX apps, synths, grooveboxes, drum machines, and midi apps for fun and as sales come along.

My current Elektron/iPad setup is a lot of fun…

2 Likes

No way as nice as Ableton and Push 2. But for iPad its nice. YMMV. I am well aware of auv3 Host. I really tried to love Drambo but to be honest I never felt it was fun.

Fun is very subjective. Glad your having fun with your rig. I was a serious developer (Medical World) for 25 years on UNIX. All the way from Developer to Director. It felt to much like working in IT but with Sound rather than Code. YMMV.

No one is expected to like every single app. That’s why there are so many to choose from. What works for me won’t work for everyone. There are apps others swear by that I think are pure garbage.

I am very happy with this current setup, as well as my others not pictured.

get these ‎Igor Vasiliev Apps on the App Store

3 Likes

Just gotta use what you find fun and conducive to your workflow and process I always say.

1 Like

It’s weird, the plugin descriptions in App Store say “save up to 80%”, but the prices are back to normal. The reverb bundle is about $19 for me. Wish I had known about the sale.

Works like an ass in my experience. No, wait, an ass works much better.

I’ve used it a few times since I got my iPad, and 1 or 2 times it worked flawlessly. Other times it can’t connect, or it shows half of the screen, or it has some other weird bugs.

1 Like

i think it’s sorted and no more beta status.

but iam using the IPad with AUM as a Bluetooth transmitter for the mac! I didn’t know that’s possible

SideCar is great when using the IPad only as a second screen with Pencil support. It’s a nice addition

Granular synthesis

This of course

1 Like

Drambo is to me the best music production app on iOS. It’s so similar to the Elektron workflow and the fact that everything is sort of ‘modular’ make the possibilities endless.

Other than that definitely check out MiRack and Audulus.

And there are plenty of synths from Arturia and Korg that can run as plug-ins inside of Drambo.

Oh also the sugarbytes Drumcomputer is a must (very much like Machinedrum or RYTM in drum designing) and they also make a nice wavetable synth called Factory.

If you’re into chiptunes and trackers nothing beats DefleMask.
There’s also tons of plugins for effects (compressors, reverb, tape emulation etc and many are free)

I feel like as of the last few years iPads apps have finailly gotten to the point where they are capable of legitimate music production. I still prefer my MacBook with Ableton and a ton of real hardware but I have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of music production apps recently

1 Like

Check out Fugue Machine for a very original 4 channel sequencer.

2 Likes