What causes the first kick after unmuting to sound muffled?

I’m having a strange phenomenom with my A4. I’m sure there’s a logical explanation to it, I just don’t know what could cause this behaviour.

The problem is this. When you unmute the kick track, the first kick of the pattern sounds muffled somehow. It does this repeatedly, and it’s not caused by me unmuting the kick track too late or anything like that.

As an example, here’s a track I made today. You can hear it at 1:00 and again at 4:48

https://soundcloud.com/user4904810/noises-and-artifacts-pt-2

It didn’t do this before, but when I changed some kick settings it started to do it.

I can easily go back to the previous kick, but I like this one and I just want it to behave itself!

Any idea what could cause it?

it’s a “characteristic” of the multimode filter reso, needs some time to saturate under certain circumstances… i think the closest to a official word from HQ regarding this is “It is how it is”.

gotta make a kick sound which is more robust & less receptive to this effect, for example by kicking the filter into action with the noise gen and/or a low-tuned tri wave, or zapping the filter with EG… kinda hit&miss, experiment…

After you change the sound, the ladder filter can’t start self-oscillating until it receives some signal, and so you don’t really hear the effect on the first note. It’s the price to pay fo rthe synth being so quiet electronically + rapid switching of patches. Having said that I think the ladder filter is a bit weak really. For kicks the second filter provides much better results.

Thanks for the explanations!

If it’s a resonance only sound, try to feed a triangle wave in to the filter.
I fixed one of the preset BDs by doing so.

Hey - Reviving this thread to thank you for being awesome. Exactly what I wanted to know, complete with details and suggestions.
Thanks a bunch,
CCQ