What can I buy, if I sell my DT?

OK, what model and specs? I need 10 tracks at max and want to play live, will barely use soft synths. Thanks.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro with SSD and 8 gig which I’ve had no trouble with running ableton with massive, reaktor, maschine, ozone etc

I do have to bounce down heavy reaktor sequences and use as audio as they eat processor.

Will a used Macbook with this specs be better than a new Ipad? By “better” I mean more stable when use live.

I’ve just bought an iPad and using bm3, patterning, AUM etc but not really dug into it for live so can’t really say which is best though I’d put my faith in my MacBook Pro just because I’ve used it out many times and never let me down.

Buy a third hand and keep your DT! Cheaper nowadays. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think you want a laptop. You really don’t want an iPad. It still isn’t the beat platform in terms of software and user interaction for what you want.

I would recommend a Mac since it’s less of a hassle to set up correctly for music making and because they last longer.

If money is an issue, a used MacBook Air is good condition might be a wise choice.

I would wait a few weeks though; most people expect Apple to drop a new range of lower-cost laptops to replace the Air which means you might be able to pick up a brand new remaining stock prev-gen Air for a nove price shortly thereafter.

2 Likes

I had an Ipad 4 years ago and it was buggy as hell. I heard that nowadays they are as stable as laptops if you don’t overload them, which is, in my case, not an issue. What specs does your Ipad have?

As far as I know, I need at least 8 Gb of RAM and Core i5. Year of production is not so important. Am I right?

Is a laptop necessary? Im looking at used Mac mini’s just now. I reckon your better bang for buck doing this unless your needing a portable screen. Also if your looking for DAW software, try the LE versions first and if you want to upgrade it’s worth shopping for a licence transfer.

Kinda. You probably want to get a Mac that can at least run macOS Mojave which means it must be from mid or late 2012 or newer (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Mojave#System_requirements)

You probably also really want one with an SSD since that really makes a huge difference in terms of performance.

I’d also consider battery condition.

Keep in mind that subsequent generation i5 and i7 processors deliver much better performance at the same clock frequency. You can use https://browser.geekbench.com to compare if you like.

2 Likes

If bang for buck is what is wanted, Apple surely isn’t the best bet

I think so, too.
And I think there are better free DAWs than garageband.
Logic is a bargain btw.

Agreed

Agreed

I use an iPad Pro as my DAW, with auria.
Auria is a PITA for mixdown options.
However I use it with an apogee duet sonyou need to factor a good audio interface cost.
Also I have an A&H mixer and 90% of what I do is improvised with gadgets to a stereo mix recorded from the xlr outputs through DAV boxes. I guess what I’m saying is the iPad is at the end of a long chain! I dislike the idea of spending momo on a computer that will be obsolete when I could spend on gear that I will sell at a massive loss after a year. No, wait…

2 Likes

ha ha ha!

One thing to mention about Bitwig, is the price includes one year of updates. After one year, if you want to update to the latest version, you’ll have to pay for another year of updates. I’m currently on 2.3.5 and don’t have the money to update to 2.4. It actually ok, because 2.3.5 is very stable and I can use that version forever. I still owe a little bit more money to PayPal credit, since that’s how I funded the Digitakt. Overall I’m more creative on hardware like the Digitakt then software, though I really like Bitwig.

How can anyone give you a quality recommendation without knowing what you really want to do with your future equipment?