What are your most modern & iconic sounds (synthesis) when it comes to club music?

@darenager Does that MMM Hoover (more Stab in a way) is from Alpha Juno / ReDominator ?

There is also : boum tsst boum tsst boum tsst boum tsst.

3 Likes

For most modern sound I think about people like Ben remember. He just has something about his sound. The new qubiko track is up there for me too

I was planning to post the track machine gun saying something “like Noisia’s basses, here is an exemple”
Thanks for “the secret”, never watched before

Best one is Joey Beltram, Mentasm it is where Human Resource sampled it from (and many others)

However, it is a preset from the Alpha Juno.

BTW I did a Monomachine version of the sound 10 years ago, just remembered :laughing:

1 Like

Detuned modulated sub bass as the hook/melody:

(2001)

Basically an adaptation of a garage house bassline that techno really ran with for a few years in the early ‘00s, present company not excluded:
(2002)

Fortunately most iterations were somewhat unique:
(2001)

The great thing about early 2000’s techno was while it was equally as derivative as techno is today, the methods for making it were much more varied. Few were using software for audio. Let alone the same software. Some were sequencing with Amigas, some just Roland midi hardware and AKAI samplers. The most common piece of kit wasn’t the DAW, but rather a mackie mixer and Alesis compressor.

So while genres were just as strictly defined as they are today, an artist’s signature was much more unique and defined, even while working within the confines of the sonic trend of the moment.

4 Likes

Interesting, thanks and great track as usual. Made me remember the kowalsky hit, maybe the melody counterpart could be added to this thread, don‘t know what synth was used. Here at 1:50, i liked more that bass sound combined with a nice string, track at 54:11

2 Likes

ah yes! Thanks for bringing up A Kowalski, because he did stuff with Heiko Laux, and that reminded me of another track that uses a similar bassline philosophy. Love this one: (2002)

3 Likes

Sorry for offtopic but nostalgia hits me hard with those 3 tracks. I was 13, just got my first decks and had the A.Beyer and T.Krome records on heavy rotation.
My parents had a hard time back then :smiley:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Was CJ Bolland “Sugar is Sweeter “ basically Moog Model D and TB-303?

CJ in the studio around the time Sugar is Sweeter came out (f’in wizard!)

4 Likes

Jamie xx and caribou are playing some shows together later this year, about as close to the dream electronic duo for a show for me.

1 Like
An aside

Amazing how much that overlaps with Prodigy’s Poison, in terms of tone and rhythm.

The Prodigy - Poison (Official Video) - YouTube

(Not suggesting either copied the other; I don’t really care; I just couldn’t help look up the record that powerfully came to mind when I started playing the Bolland track).

1 Like

Dubstep was sort of a huge deal for a while there.

From a synthesis perspective it’s probably not too complicated, but that could also be seen as a reflection of the rise of bedroom producers and usage of fairly simple principles to achieve an impactful sound.

2 Likes

One word.

Donk.

1 Like

This was about 5 years earlier.

1 Like

I’m guilty of blending the two tracks in various cassette mixes of mine so I understand what you mean.

1 Like

SOPHIE’s whole hyper pop aesthetic deserves a mention for pushing synth and drum sounds into new territories post 2000:

Reportedly a lot of Monomachine, then obviously loads of hyper editing in a DAW.

3 Likes

Do you ever by listening synth Presets/Soundbanks/factory sounds
and fall on one sound that you associate/recognize directly with a SONG/TRACK that you know ?

Do you remember the details which Tracks / Synths / Presets it was ?

thanks