What Are You Listening To Lately (Part 1)

2 Likes

New Casa de Papel.

Old-timey gabber mix ahoy.

2 Likes

Lovebug Starski :+1:t5:

1 Like

Had to re-edit the post, I’ve posted “Stationary” twice. The other track was “Organized Crime”(which I believe he released under the Innervisions moniker, not sure 100%). Sorry about that. Don’t know about Photek influence, J Majik was around for quite a few years when this dropped: his first releases on Metalheadz label came out in 1994. At that time the whole scene influenced each other, imho. Though I love Photek too. Another LP I love from this era:

Source Direct were both teenagers (16 y.o) when they made this. They were Photek’s “protégés” at that time. They split afterwards but one of them came back to music a few years ago and is curently touring.

3 Likes
1 Like

Yeah the one that came back was the one that did all the work. :slight_smile:

J was absolutely a core part of the scene, I just mean that one track Stationary is very much a Photek-style chop up, was very much the sound he was working on around ‘96. Most of J Majik’s stuff is a bit straighter, break-driven stuff. Great track though, the way the drum programming evolves is really nice.

1 Like

And no DAWs at that time. Akai rack format samplers. Sometimes it took them weeks just to create the “perfect” break. (not dissing on DAWs though, I use them too, just to make eventual readers understand the hard work they put in with the technology limitations at that time).

Sequenced by an Atari ST running Cubase, more often than not.

This has sent me back to watch a couple of my favourite artefacts of the era, enjoy these if you haven’t already seen them:

5 Likes

Yeah, I know these vids. Cubase on Atari ST too. I had one, but I was more into gaming than music making at that time… :smile:

1 Like
1 Like

Listening…watching :slight_smile:

Fuck me. The movie is fucked up.

I bought this back in the day. Absolutely gutted I sold it and many other from this era.

1 Like

That’s the good stuff right there. Love J Majik’s older tunes.

1 Like

Damn that looks good.

Even better when you turn on the english cc…

2 Likes

I keep coming back to this hour-long advertisement for the Acidlab Miami.

2 Likes

Hi This Is Flume!