What Are You Listening To Lately (Part 1)

2 Likes

when this came out it was such a relief for me. I was a big fan of Cocteau Twins Guthrie (sp?). His name fails me but MBV beautifully. texturized the space in between.

3 Likes

Listening and finding Basic channel from the mid-90s and to 2000s was God sent for me. Walking in San Francisco with my headphones and a smile on my face:)

3 Likes

lol I remember this …didn’t Public Enemy or Fu-Schnickens produce them?

The Bomb Squad and Terminator X produced a few things. Not sure about other producers.

Yeah Robin Guthrie. Legend. Same Kevin Shields, Neil Halstead.

But Elizabeth Fraser is God’s voice.

2 Likes

Kevin Shields. Thank you.

Elizabeth Frasier etherial voice was beautiful. Indeed.

A sonic hug from the awesome Laura Misch

2 Likes

Great compilation, plenty of quality artists and tracks, can’t complain!

2 Likes

THIS

can’t get enough of that detroit-induced sound…
but also digging into their stuff again a lot:
4 Likes

This is crazy good

3 Likes

Revisiting Panda Bear’s Tomboy - what a beautiful record. It’s so wet and lush and cohesive.

Found some interesting notes on his songwriting approach around that time.

Right. I got this Korg M3-M workstation, it’s usually part of a synthesizer, but I got the version that’s just a module-- just a white box, basically. I found out that you could run a line input into the thing and affect that within the box. So, pretty early on in the process, I had this idea of just sticking a guitar into that; that was essentially going to be my setup.

Even before I wrote any songs, I had this idea of a triangle where the voice was at the top, some sort of guitar element on one side, and then some sort of really basic rhythm on the other side. That’s where I started from in the recording process. So having everything filter through this one brain, this box, seemed like a really good idea. It’s a hellish thing to mix live, but I liked how it would connect the dots in the songwriting sense, because everything has these weird little tongue licks of certain types of sound. There’s an effect matrix in the thing with five effects you can run through. It’s the most complicated piece of gear I’ve ever used for sure. It took me a while just to get my head around it.

1 Like

I approve

3 Likes

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

i don’t like post-1990 Neubauten period much, but suddenly enjoyed.

1 Like

I first heard Neubauten in ~1990, and while I like the early period a lot, I also enjoy pretty much everything else a lot, if not more.

4 Likes

MTCH is easily one of the best artists I have ever heard!
Just bought the DVD package, great label :+1:t3:

2 Likes

First field recording album I listened to - amazing

Kate Carr - The Thing Itself And Not The Myth

gazing into the abyss once again — opened the directory with King Crimson live recordings.
i have about 24 gigabytes of them on my drive, and that’s just mp3.
it’s nearly impossible to listen just one or two shows and stop.

1 Like