What Are You Listening To Lately (Part 1)

I’ve been really into 80’s music the last month or so. I’m not immune to trends it seems and have definitely been pumping “Running Up That Hill”, but I think I like this first one better.

6 Likes

Working Hour is a huge track!

2 Likes

That whole album is huge. Everyone knows the two big singles, but the rest of the album is so good. “Listen” is still one of my all-time favorites.

1 Like

Ya…underrated, hugely good album. :slight_smile:

Everyone gravitates towards The Hurting and Seeds (weird I had to look it up, I forgot the album title :grimacing: )

Speaking of the 80s - this one is possibly only for the already converted as it treads its own existing (near 40y.o.) path, somewhat … xPropaganda The Heart is Strange

nonetheless i have been enjoying this immensely on repeat and incapable of skipping once i start - for sure there is the nostalgia - and the distant echoes of A Secret Wish (albeit less edgy) … but there’s something special about this distilled formula with the ZTT production and i think it is all rather a credit to them for delivering something this befitting of their own legacy … i must admit i was nervous awaiting its arrival

Anyway - i’m promoting this as it appears nobody has brought this release up and it seems that the band/label/distributor aren’t possibly cut out for the industry game required these days … i only found out about it watching a lowkey SJL interviewed on a youtube video that popped up in my timeline - googling this shows that it’s a bit under the radar

Some new material (name is now xPropaganda btw as mentioned by @phaelam somewhere above)

some choice 80s clips

this one makes sense of why i loved @Fin25’s recommendation here so much … i think of myself as post-punk at heart although i have a broad broad taste, but the industrial elements loom large and the whole consciously unamerican thing is also hitting the spot

a better Throbbing Gristle version of discipline which i think @DoS uploaded a while back … stunning performance

back on to some older ( inc VHS tape warbles ) Propaganda from the seminal ‘The Tube’ …

some official videos from the early 80s

4 Likes

Ya…the new album, not all of it, has really grown on me. Chasing Utopia, Ribbons of Steal and The Night are really good! Reminiscent of Propaganda.

Stephen Lipson did a great job with Claudia and Susanne.

Propaganda is still one of my all time faves.

This is where they hooked me. Greg used them in his ski movies. He was all about ZTT.
There music just fit so well with his format. Murder of Love in Maltese Flamingo is just amazing…

The album Wishful Thinking has great versions from A Secret Wish

It was a thing back then at ZTT to do several versions. P-Machinery has and awesome 13+min version with great percussion sections. I like the 9min+ version

Anyways…i like them :slight_smile:

Lipson in one of his interviews goes into how, in the 80s, they had no budget and did as they wished. And it comes thru. A lot of heart went into old ZTT productions.

Some cool stories of how they did stuff and raw stems get listened to talked about

3 Likes

I gotta add this stuff too

After A Secret Wish there was a big blow out with the band and their contract.

There was a second Propaganda album, 1234 that is a different lineup and is terrible. Nothing like Propaganda.

Lipson and Claudia wanted to keep doing stuff, so the did Act. Good stuff too if you haven’t heard.

The was some other bands like OneTwo that had some okay tracks.

They were supposed to do a 4EP set as Propaganda and only did one. :frowning: still waiting for the other three :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

3 Likes
1 Like

so while im waiting for the latest AMKS.live to be uploaded…ive been on the previous.

holy shit this bit at 1:48:00 is just sick! [starts at the right spot [the whole thing is awesome]]

at track from…

1 Like

how you say you G when you speakin on my name

i never really thought i cared about 80s stuff until i heard the chauffeur in a skate video a few years ago and then after doing some digging i realized there’s a lot i really like

3 Likes

Great new set from Cercle (are any of them not great?) - love the live vocal work

Hania Rani just blows me away.

4 Likes

https://open.spotify.com/album/2bEST7YvKM2sNlXTyDkcZl?si=Um-rgxs2RVCWICUHM7XRuw&utm_source=copy-link

Rob Hall has put his AMKS session from last week on Mixcloud, but for some reason I couldn’t post a link on here FFS :slight_smile:

Oh no way…thanks

weird, I can’t find it

That’s odd…
So it’s the mixcloud URL then…
/Rob_Hall/ad_vanz-amks-session-10072022/

Doesn’t werk for me :frowning:

Is that the whole set or just as vanz bit?

Gonna be seeing those tomorrow, they’re playing in some forest type outdoor location
And I’m hyped, dat fuuunkky stoner rock

4 Likes