What Are You Listening To Lately (Part 1)

Haha, I wasn’t aware of that. Rarely buy CDs to be honest. Still one of my favourite Carl Craig tunes along with this remix. Bought the vinyl too, still sitting somewhere in a crate being lonely. Might have to liberate those old records one day :smile:

4 Likes

Wow, I was totally unaware of his passing :frowning_face: On the upside, his music will always be around and within his spirit too.

1 Like

I like this one, two tracks with epic length.

idk i feel like tri repetae is pretty catchy.

2 Likes

If you get to the end of this and don’t love it, give up trying.

2 Likes

yes have been diggin this!

I know!
I found out only last year also. I found Holger
was dead the same day.
But we always do have the music.

I would like see that Burnt Friedman
Documentray, if you know the name?
If no all good also!

1 Like

dig the production on this. lots of little things sprinkled all over the place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InDJPy5clg4

2 Likes

seriously digging on this album
at the moment

“Beam Hopper” mixtape
This mixtape off subnav
on repeat

I remember it was part of a documentary on electronic music on I think public German tv. It wasn’t dedicated to Bernt, but had a good chunk on him. Will let you know if I remember or find the clip :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m not reading your post as a “recommend me stuff” as I’m sure you’ve trawled their discog plenty. I do think your question is interesting though as whilst there are some surface level comparisons between the bands you mention and AE I do think they all vary from each other quite a bit.

For example, Alva Noto I find to be very austere and with so much space to breath which invites close attention to the minimal timbres. And more recently he’s been getting his funk on. VSnares is one where I’ve never quite got into so much, his complexity feels novel and arbitrary to me and perhaps it’s me that’s lacking perception but there seems to be nothing that really pulls together albums as a whole. I tend to only like odd songs here and there though I do think he has improved since his productivity has come down to more human levels.

So, AE… for me it’s that they seem to balance perfectly between complexity and simplicity across all aspects of their music, whether it’s sound design, structure, melody, rhythm… often, if I deconstruct what’s happening in a track I end up being really surprised by some aspect or another. I probably could ramble on for hours but my train is approaching e station.

1 Like
3 Likes

:smiley: :joy: :open_mouth:

1 Like
4 Likes

Classic album.
I particularly favour ‘mannequin’ or whatever it’s called.
Filth

1 Like

One of my favourite party tracks: Neon Indian - Polish Girl.
Lots of great synth pieces, electronic drums and bleeps.

2 Likes