What are the ugliest and most beautiful pieces of music gear?

I, personally and aesthetically, prefer the first generation (the Original) with the All-Black Screen.

Picture took this morning of my 2001 MD MK1. After 19 years old, it’s still in great shape.

8 Likes

I love em both. :heart: :pager:

1 Like

Fo sure. It would be a great gig companion…

It’s a low frequency/ large diaphragm dynamic mic. I think it’s called a “sub kick” or something like that. Basically a speaker wired in reverse and housed in a drum shell. They’re awesome.

3 Likes

This Dodeka isomorphic keyboard is pretty sweet.

10 Likes

I’m adding two Beauties :

Arp Odyssey

Arp Odyssey

Verbos Modulars

10 Likes

Buchla Music Easel is still the most beautiful electronic instrument to me:

9 Likes

Haha, it’s a subkick - a speaker mounted inside a tom, which acts as a microphone (it’s wired up and has its own desk input) and generates sub tones. Look them up - it’s an old and very cool trick. I decided to make one that matched the kit and wanted it to look like a mini kick drum for fun

2 Likes

My eurorack is a beaut

I’d have to agree that those emu stations are distasteful

7 Likes

How you liking it? Any demos?

would be an interesting thread: what are the ugliest and most-beautiful pieces of Elektron gear?

5 Likes

A lot of beautiful gear out there, too hard for me to choose.

Out of the gear I own Love the looks: Ms-20 mini, Mpc 2500 (blacked out) & Op-1.

I’ve never bought gear for its looks, but I think workflow & sound can affect how gear looks to me. For example, OP-1… I thought it was ugly, looked like a toy & was overpriced. Then I slowly learned more about it & once I understood what it was about, I thought it would fit me really well, so I bought it… but still thought it was ugly. As I used it, I completely fell in love with it & it became more & more attractive. Now I think it’s beautiful (in a playful way).

2 Likes

… All Models (sample & cycles) :smiley: ! Sidstation isnt a exemple of design too but its the older one so…

Looks like the design of this channel strip was heavily influenced by the work of Dieter Rams. It’s also beautiful inside if you like the look of quality components.

1 Like

Great synth, but not very handsome!

1 Like

:thinking: Isn’t it pretty?

11 Likes

I prefer the non-woody one, looks like something a Terminator would use.

4 Likes

pro 2 looked much better imo.

2 Likes

I still want the Digitana HALia, who knows how many years before it comes out at this pace :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Analog Drive!