What are the ugliest and most beautiful pieces of music gear?

Sexiest piece of gear I owned was probably an MPC 2500 Limited Edition. It was immaculate when I sold it in pristine white and I should have kept that and sold my fully loaded og MPC 2500, but that had a stiff jog wheel. I’ve always had a soft spot for the Dynacord Add-One though, but they go for serious money

6 Likes

Ugly: Roland D2 Groovebox

Most beautifull: Korg Sigma

7 Likes

Besides the raver disc golf look, what’s a reason to acquire one?

MK1 dark Elektrons have that lovely Dieter Rams vibe.

I don’t think the TR-8 or TB-3 could look any uglier if they tried.

8 Likes

Strange, Rgb pads are the sole reason I would never buy any controller or akai. Especially hate the orange, pink and green color combination on novation gear…

3 Likes

Roland System 100m and Arp 2600 look really great.

I also really like the look of the moog desktop semimodulars like the mother32

Elektron loose their style path for my taste. Love machinedrum and mk1 analogs look. Can‘t really stand the mk2 analogs and the model series.
DT and DN look cool though

2 Likes

Check out the manual. If it was a volca (it’s now cheaper) it would be very popular.
Basically a synth, loop and sample sequencer, in the right hands it is a very capable unit.
Form factor is puzzling though.
Makes a great musical toy for kids!

Also, if you are a live performer, even if not picking it up to wow the crowd with your hoop skills, it adds an interesting light cycling sequencer device to your desk to liven up your act.

1 Like

One for the beauty pile.

https://www.colossus-synth.com

13 Likes

And the Minimoog’s still a handsome wee pup. I’m not taking that for granted. Here’s one in a shiny flightcase:

4 Likes

[x] beauty, timeless

20 Likes

Eigenharp! What a lovely piece of kit: http://www.eigenlabs.com

3 Likes

I can only contribute with the beautiful part

16 Likes

My setup don’t have really ugly gears… Machinedrum MKII / Analog 4 MK1 / Digitone / Lyra 8 / El Capistan / Tascam M24 / Quadra.
So for the most beautiful : Machinedrum.
I’m in love with silver Elektron. MnM is the most beautiful in my eyes.
And for most ugly, by elimination… Quadraverb, but…

Interesting tread, it show lovely gears that i never saw !! More beautiful than elektron gear for sure but the industrial elektron design is timeless. Unfortunately i don’t feel the new A4 and Rythm design :frowning:

3 Likes

ugliest:

most beautiful:

8 Likes

Snap! Another Japan Fender Jaguar in Candy Apple Red. Mine’s from '86 and I’ve had it since the early-'90s. Beautiful guitar. I’m also drawn to Jags and Jazzmasters. They’re really the only guitars I play now.

If yours has the original bridge, I can warmly recommend replacing it with a StayTrem bridge. The grub screws kept working their way loose on my old original bridge and they’re impossible to find if they fall out!

6 Likes

What the heck is that Tom doing there?? It’s seems set up to enhance the kick in some way?

I think the look and the feel of the whole Volca - Series is just plain awful. I do understand that they made it easy to start hardware jamming on a budget though, so I am reluctant to diss them somehow :slight_smile:

I think the E-MU MP7 is outstandingly ugly. Sounds fantastic though. :thinking:

The TR-8 looked like a toy. What were they thinking? The whole thing looked ridiculous. But it was a breeze to use. So intuitive. The sliders were actually amazing…

For the beautiful side my mind was made quite fast…

LYRA-8 (all colours. It just looks astonishing)
MD (it still is one of the best looking boxes ever made. The brushed silver, the big data knob, … just wow)
A fully filled blinking eurorack case with the whole cable mess it comes along with. I like the raw beauty of what looks messy but is such a deliberately created patch in reality.

1 Like

Emu is making it big on this thread…

My emu XL-1 is butt ugly…one of the ugliest synths ever I would say…

The sexiest piece of gear I own is still the Moog SUB37…I just have to touch it…alot…I might go blind if I keep it up…

1 Like

With my relative limited knowledge of only what I have seen,

ugliest: SP404 (I know it’s a classic but it ain’t exactly pretty)

most beautiful: Mayones guitars (sorry, I’m a guitarist)…

but ok since this is not a guitar forum, the Expressive Osmose:

8 Likes